Re: [BSA] Sunday ---- It was a wild ride.

  • jclivejordan
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2007
      That 9M kite moves fast!

      I worried about wrecking Hawk's Kite, but it made me think I could get at 9M and learn the
      survival kite thing - If I did it more, I'd probably get better at it... The launch and delaunch
      were pretty scary, but the riding was kinda fun I must admit..

      --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Brickner" <jasonbrickner@...> wrote:

      > Hey Jim,
      >
      > Was it more on the gusty or smooth side? Or is that a stupid question.
      >
      > Hey Jay, how was it on the 9M kite. Could I have survived on my 10M C kite?
      >
      > Sounds like fun. Tom C., was it too windy to kite?
      >
      > -Jason

    • tony williams
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 2, 2007
        I sure had fun on Sunday with the 13m Instinct.  I don't think it was reaching 40+ then but definitely in the 30s and I did not have to sheet in the depower much more then a couple of inches.  Only wish I had not tried to get tricky and ended up slamming the kite down so hard on the water that a weak point on the kite caused it to rip along the strut.  Now it will have to go to the shop to be repaired. Bummer.  Oh well it is getting a bit cold anyway.
        First time kiting at the bruneau bridge and I did like it but there were 3 submerged logs that were potential killers if you landed on them. the were sticking up like lances, just a couple of inches under the water, one i did not see until I rode over it.  Located 15 yards east of the island,  the other 2 are in the very shallow water just west of the island.
        PS. the wind was a bit cleaner more west of the bridge.  My suggestion would be to(if you are with anyone, is to launch at the bridge and take out at the pump house.  That way you can stay in between  where the wind is best.

        Cheers
        TW

        I worried about wrecking Hawk's Kite, but it made me think I could get at 9M and learn the
        survival kite thing - If I did it more, I'd probably get better at it... The launch and delaunch
        were pretty scary, but the riding was kinda fun I must admit..

        --- In snowkiteidaho@ yahoogroups. com, "Jason Brickner" <jasonbrickner@ ...> wrote:

        > Hey Jim,
        >
        > Was it more on the gusty or smooth side? Or is that a stupid question.
        >
        > Hey Jay, how was it on the 9M kite. Could I have survived on my 10M C kite?
        >
        > Sounds like fun. Tom C., was it too windy to kite?
        >
        > -Jason

      • jwattboi
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 30, 2014
          River party today.  So far, will brenna, steve, bill, and me.  Anybody else?

          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 30, 2014
            Fantastic time had by all .  9m and 7m  steady and gusts no to bad . at 4:30 my car temp read 60 and the water was between 56 and 58 . about as good as it gets for a early season river session

            River party today.  So far, will brenna, steve, bill, and me.  Anybody else?

            Looks good today, who's in and when?  I'm thinking 11-ish depart.  Let the rain move out and warm up a little.  Windalert forecasts 23 from noon till six with decreasing clouds.  That probably means rodeo 30g45.

          • Jim Tighe
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 30, 2014

              Sad I missed it.   But I did spend a day with Nancy.  Went to bodovino.  Great place.

              Fantastic time had by all .  9m and 7m  steady and gusts no to bad . at 4:30 my car temp read 60 and the water was between 56 and 58 . about as good as it gets for a early season river session

              River party today.  So far, will brenna, steve, bill, and me.  Anybody else?

              Looks good today, who's in and when?  I'm thinking 11-ish depart.  Let the rain move out and warm up a little.  Windalert forecasts 23 from noon till six with decreasing clouds.  That probably means rodeo 30g45.

            • Gregory Danley
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 30, 2014
                Way to go peeps. I am ready for this season to get into gear!

                Sent from my iPhone

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 31, 2014
                  ...WOW...poached a day in March!!   Definitely raises the bar (or is that burr....).  Was it like this?....(check out the guys board...): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLzxqetoUWo

                  (...'course didn't Jason W bag a day in Feb?....he has blubber & blow hole in top of head...)

                  Fantastic time had by all .  9m and 7m  steady and gusts no to bad . at 4:30 my car temp read 60 and the water was between 56 and 58 . about as good as it gets for a early season river session

                  River party today.  So far, will brenna, steve, bill, and me.  Anybody else?

                  Looks good today, who's in and when?  I'm thinking 11-ish depart.  Let the rain move out and warm up a little.  Windalert forecasts 23 from noon till six with decreasing clouds.  That probably means rodeo 30g45.

                • Will Hise
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 31, 2014
                    JWatt just figured out that the river really isn't that cold in winter and the wind blows! I believe he bagged 2 days in JANUARY!
                    Yesterday wasn't cold to me. I have booties but no gloves or hood. First dip was chilly but after that I was fine. Brenna was very cold and wearing a lot more rubber, so maybe some of us have a higher blubber count.
                    I think it's a lot warmer than Oregon coast or even Central Cali surf sessions.

                    I'll be adding some screen grabs from the gopro when I have time today.

                    On that speed video, look at his kite! It's all over the place and he's just eating up the gusts with his arms. There are some great videos of what happens to those speed dudes when they need to stop (by choice or otherwise). Skipping on kneedeep water at 50kts is not my idea of fun. Watching other do it, is.