Travel summary - Sacramento/San Joaquin river delta

    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 18, 2007
      This was such an amazing wind place, thought others that haven't been there might be interested....

      Sherman Island is the the most incredible kiting windspot I've ever been...and that includes several trips to Hawaii and Outerbanks.

      I just got back from 10 days at Sherman Island on the delta of the Sacramento/San Joaquin rivers.  That's about a 10 hr drive from Boise.  WHAT AN UNBELIEVABLE WIND MACHINE they have down there !!  Blew day & night for 10 days, 70% of time totally juiced up on on 10m kite, and the lighter days FULLY lit on 12m.  I was told it'd been blowing day & night like that for over 30 days.  Was told that last year they tracked 76 straight days of wind (starts in May tapers off in Sept).  The wind engine?...cold SFO bay/ocean winds (high pressure) rush inland up the river passage (a gap in the east bay hills) into the scorching (low pressure) San Joaquin valley.  When you fly from SFO to Boise, this is the place just NE of the bay with the miles of wind turbines.

      The Sherman Island campground is filled/crowded with kiters/windsurfers on weekends, but sparse on weekdays.  The spot has a couple of reed covered islands that make flatwater behind, but not as much or as good as OBX.  Swell in channel aided by tides moving in & out, so fun on the rollers & lips.  Sounds like wind doesn't get so nuclear as the Gorge's 50+ mph days, but 30 happens a lot, and winds are pretty smooth...doesn't get very gusty.  Swell doesn't get as big as the Gorge because winds & current flows aren't as big, but still armadas of windsurfers out.  The AVERAGE wind speed never dropped below 15mph while I was there...typcially was low to upper 20's....and smooth.

      For such a great wind place, kite launch is a pretty limited area & harrowing...not for the faint of heart...expecially on crowded weekends.  Not for beginners...Incredible as it sounds, Lucky Peak has a much better launch area, except for one thing...the fluky winds inside around the Barclay launch.  I was surprised at how small & brushy & the launch area is...but it works.  Being a delta, brush grows right up to the water except in small areas where it's been cleared for launch areas and/or planted w/ campground grass (which is dried to straw).  Surroundings very similar to pumphouse on the snake, except better clearings for launch/land.

      From June thru August, this has to be the best wind place in North America...it's not so on/off like Gorge...always-on wind infrastructure!  Water is warm (shorties or no wetsuit mid-day, fulls morning & evening, largely to help w/ wind chill).  Temps in mid/upper 80's during day, low 60's at night.

      Because winds are so frequent, lots of good kiters, and the smooth strong winds make for GIGANTIC AIR.  Rarely do kiters I don't know holler at me on the water, but I had a couple guys tack nearby upwind to yell to this idaho kid "big air man"..."you're getting huge air"!   I tell you, its so huge you can't help but go "holy shit"....then laugh and yelp after you come down.  But even though the wind is strong, its smooth enough you don't feel shaky about trying new tricks.  Also got to try many new kites.

      Campground is isolated w/ town of Rio Vista a short drive.  It's a rustic old river/delta town...like a village on a port.  Pretty small & quaint.  Taqueria and Chinese food downtown are great, as is the main bar downtown.  Has an incredible collection of big game animal mounts on the wall bagged by a bar owner back around 1931.

      Will definitely be going back there.  The wind there is money.

      Jon
    • B rad
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 18, 2007
        Wow sounds like a sick trip. when eddy and I went down to install an ozone machine we
        stopped by the delta and it seemed like an amazing spot. unfortunately the timeing never
        worked out so we weren't able to kite. I hope to go back and kite there someday though.
        Anybody up for a kite road trip? Hood, Oregon coast, Sherman Island, San Francisco Bay?
        (Brian said it's a great spot and you can even kite under the golden gate bridge :0 ) If
        anybody's up for the trip i'm game,

        B RAD

        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 19, 2007
          I'm game, but I'd go to SFO only so I could say I bagged the Golden Gate.  Kiters from SFO were swarming to Sherman, and EVERYONE was complaining about how COLD the water is year around.  Didn't sound like the kind of spot you'd want to do for a few days.

          My next trip I wanna go to the Three Mile Canyon spot Steve Linane wrote about and then maybe on down the Gorge a ways.  I'm tied up in late July, so I'm thinking early August.  Anybody up for that?

          Jon

        • B rad
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 19, 2007
            Sounds like fun to me. i'm game,

            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 19, 2007
               I'm starting to hate making calls on Lucky Peak Weather seems very different this year. But if any normalcy occurs tomorrow should work.

              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 19, 2007
                I'd be up for a quick trip to the gorge.

                Let me know.  I'll be working in Portland Aug 1st, 2nd, 3rd.  BUt could make another weekend work also.

                -Jason

                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 19, 2007
                  You've been doing good so far Eddy.  But it sure does seem to start late this year.  Seems like there has been much more SW flow over the area this year.

                  If I were to contact someone at NWS Boise office, would you guys like to take a tour of the facility and talk with the weather gods about LP winds?  I used to know a cute female meteorologist that worked there.  She told me to call here anytime and she would setup a tour for us.  I would want to make sure we met with someone who knew the LP wind machine.  Anybody game?

                  -Jason

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 19, 2007
                    absolutely

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 19, 2007
                      Brad and I will be in Portland on Wed-Sun of next week. Staying on SW side of Portland so I think we are going to Coast for 2 days and gorge for 2.  Recommendations for Coastal area?

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 19, 2007
                        Jason raved about Manzanita beach in recent postings....

                        On 7/18/07, B rad <ld.king@...> wrote:

> [...]

                        > strong winds make for GIGANTIC AIR. Rarely do kiters I don't know holler at
                        > me on the water, but I had a couple guys tack nearby upwind to yell to this
                        > idaho kid "big air man"..."you're getting huge air"! I tell you, its so
                        > huge you can't help but go "holy shit"....then laugh and yelp after you come
                        > down. But even though the wind is strong, its smooth enough you don't feel
                        > shaky about trying new tricks. Also got to try many new kites.
                        >
                        > Campground is isolated w/ town of Rio Vista a short drive. It's a rustic
                        > old river/delta town...like a village on a port. Pretty small & quaint.
                        > Taqueria and Chinese food downtown are great, as is the main bar downtown.
                        > Has an incredible collection of big game animal mounts on the wall bagged by
                        > a bar owner back around 1931.
                        >
                        > Will definitely be going back there. The wind there is money.

                      • Mark Westerdoll
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 19, 2007
                          Me too! Westy

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 19, 2007
                            I can't say enough about Manzanita.  Water temp was 64F.  Was toasty warm in 4/3 wetsuit, no booties, no hood.  I think my shortly would have been fine.

                            It is an awesome place for a first timer in the Big Pacific Ocean.  Best to kite further south from Neakani Mountain down by the campground.  Here are some links.  Don't miss it.

                            -Jason

                            On 7/19/07, Gear Daddy, LLC <geardaddy@cableone. net> wrote:

> [...]

                            > strong winds make for GIGANTIC AIR. Rarely do kiters I don't know holler at
                            > me on the water, but I had a couple guys tack nearby upwind to yell to this
                            > idaho kid "big air man"..."you're getting huge air"! I tell you, its so
                            > huge you can't help but go "holy shit"....then laugh and yelp after you come
                            > down. But even though the wind is strong, its smooth enough you don't feel
                            > shaky about trying new tricks. Also got to try many new kites.
                            >
                            > Campground is isolated w/ town of Rio Vista a short drive. It's a rustic
                            > old river/delta town...like a village on a port. Pretty small & quaint.
                            > Taqueria and Chinese food downtown are great, as is the main bar downtown.
                            > Has an incredible collection of big game animal mounts on the wall bagged by
                            > a bar owner back around 1931.
                            >
                            > Will definitely be going back there. The wind there is money.

                          • Tom von Alten
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 19, 2007
                              Jon Bolt wrote:
                              > I'm game, but I'd go to SFO only so I could say I bagged the Golden Gate.
                              > Kiters from SFO were swarming to Sherman, and EVERYONE was
                              > complaining about how COLD the water is year around. Didn't sound like
                              > the kind of spot you'd want to do for a few days.

                              I sailed Crissy once, long ago (1989 or '90) on a middling day. There
                              was a choppy/small wind transition zone to get through to get out
                              where the wind was, due to the tidal flow. Very cold water in that Pacific
                              Ocean. (But it's no worse than the Oregon coast, eh?)

                              Good sailing at Crissy has the current and wind opposed. Since
                              it's all inland flow, that means ebb tide, and no shore to wash up on
                              for quite some ways if something goes wrong. Emergency gear and
                              self-rescue ability are good to have there.

                              I sailed Coyote and Third Ave a good bit, and Waddell a couple
                              times. Waddell is exciting, with real-live ocean surf, and of
                              course the cold water. Oh, and did we mention Great White Sharks?
                              But they like elephant seals better than rubber-coated humans,
                              generally.

                              Third and Coyote are in the Bay, so more pleasant water temperature.
                              And Third has a deep channel that can get *very* impressive waves
                              set up. You guys sound like you're good enough to clear the bridge
                              on some good air.

                              Rio Vista does sound like it has a leg up on the other spots, but
                              variety is the spice of life, they say.
                              _____________
                              Tom von Alten http://fortboise.org/
                              tva@...
                            • Eddy
                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 29, 2008
                                So I went Paragliding up at LP Tuesday. Greg was their first and said
                                some was out kiting!!!

                                Who could it have been?

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jun 8, 2009
                                    Hopin to get Lucky in the Morning
                                  • darrel1028
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jun 8, 2009
                                      Pretty soon you'll just be hoping to get lucky on your birthday! :)

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jun 9, 2009
                                        Lucky indeed!!!

                                        Sent from
                                        Eddy Petranek

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jun 9, 2009
                                          You're such a tease.  While the numbers looked good at LP, the clouds on the horizon and the NW flow in Caldwell kept me away.  DAMN..... I wish our weather station was working.

                                          How strong was it and how long did it last?

                                          -JBrick

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jun 9, 2009
                                            I got there at 7:30 and it was blowing more from the south at 22ish. Took Boat up to get Dan out. Went up to the Cove so that I could teach him how to get out on his own. Once he got going it was probably 8:15 before I made it out.

                                            Winds backed off a little 17ish. Played on far side and then cloud moved in and it dropped to 13ish. Made it back to the Cove and Dan made it to Barclay.

                                            Done by 9:10 and a few drops of rain.

                                            It was Fun and better then sleeping in or going to work.

                                            Looks like Barclay will be shut down this afternoon thru weekend for IronMan event. Weather this week looks like the same as last week so we should not miss anything. Or at least I hope we don't miss anything.

                                            Wind meter was pegged at 20. when I pulled up this morning. It would have been nice to see that reading on internet.

                                            Eddy