Who has the RIGHT OF WAY

  • stevelinane
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 30, 2007
      STARBOARD or right hand forward has the RIGHT OF WAY . Example: A guy
      is coming toward you and you are on a port tack or left hand forward .
      Pick a line away from him . You bear off, or go down wind of him .Also
      if a faster rider is over taking a slower rider set your edge and spray
      him as good as you can . No the rules state the slower rider has the
      right of way , he can't see you coming up from behind . Same rules
      apply to windsurfs . also wind power has right of way over motor power
      but don't try to prove a point with a boat .
      Attitude is Everything ( nautically specking )
      Steve
    • Tom von Alten
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 30, 2007
        stevelinane <stevelinane@...> wrote:
        > STARBOARD or right hand forward has the RIGHT OF WAY

        One of the things that took me a while to understand is that
        having the right of way doesn't exactly mean "I can go
        wherever I want, and those other schmucks better get out
        of my way."

        The first rule is "avoid collision," and the other rules support
        that goal. For two people on opposite, approaching tacks,
        the starboard tack sailor is supposed to HOLD HIS COURSE,
        so that the other guy can figure out how best to avoid him.

        Steve's advice not to challenge motorboats is good, too;
        especially at Lucky Peak, I haven't seen much evidence
        over the years that motorists have much of a clue.

        All that old-fashioned stuff said, I have to say I'm often
        not sure what's going to happen next when I'm around
        someone flying a kite. My default is to keep as much
        space between us as I can... but when that's not
        possible, are there things beyond the "regular" ROW
        rules that can help us all get along?
        _____________
        Tom von Alten http://fortboise.org/
        tva@...
      • kiterguuy
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 30, 2007
          you brought up a good point about how the person under sail has the
          right away over a motor boat i would talk to the local sheriff and have
          him post somthing about that on the docks we had to do that at emegrit
          and lost in medford because the boaters whould come right up next to us
          while rideing. --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, "stevelinane"
          <stevelinane@...> wrote:

          > STARBOARD or right hand forward has the RIGHT OF WAY . Example: A guy
          > is coming toward you and you are on a port tack or left hand
          forward .
          > Pick a line away from him . You bear off, or go down wind of
          him .Also
          > if a faster rider is over taking a slower rider set your edge and
          spray
          > him as good as you can . No the rules state the slower rider has the
          > right of way , he can't see you coming up from behind . Same rules
          > apply to windsurfs . also wind power has right of way over motor
          power
          > but don't try to prove a point with a boat .
          > Attitude is Everything ( nautically specking )
          > Steve

        • stevelinane
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 30, 2007
            NO JON
            Nothing has happened that know of , except I have overheard a couple
            of windsurfers a couple times complain to a certain kiter about his
            riding. . not you Jon. I'v been meaning to post this for some time .
            So in responds to the latest emails about projected kiter turn out
            and beach etiquette I thought it was time to remind everyone of the
            standard .
            PS For those of you that have all this education please disregard
            this message on the ROW .
            oo
            ---

          • jasonbrickner@msn.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 30, 2007
              (could you please forward to boisesailors for me)

              Tom,

              Good points. Thanks Steve for the ROW rules. I guess I never really knew them. When I approach another kiter or windsurfer, I yeild to a person who looks more 'in control' and 'set' than I do. That's pretty vague but has worked well. For me, it's no big deal to bear-off. Maybe because I know how to get upwind again.

              I really enjoy all the people we kite and sail with. It would be no fun to be out there all alone.

              If I ever do something to infringe on your fun or safety, shoot me a line or better yet talk to me about it.

              -Jason Brickner

              > STARBOARD or right hand forward has the RIGHT OF WAY
              ..

              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 30, 2007
                Thanks for the education just the same.  I guess I never really clearly understood ROW, but now I do.  Like Jason, whether I'm port or starboard tack, I just try and judge whether I can easily pass upwind of an oncoming sailer/kiter, or if it looks like it will be close, bear off.  I try to judge this at least a few kite line lengths before the oncoming rider.

                Some other rules for consumption:
                - when two kiters pass within a kite line length, the upwind kite should fly high in the sky, and the downwind kiter should keep his/her kite low.  When passing a downwindsurfer, keep your kite high.  Some of the newbies don't seem to know this yet, but when they go to crowded places, they'll need to know & do this.

                - it is an upwind jumpers responsibility to avoid any downwind riders.  When you leave the water, everyone else has the right of way.  This includes making space allowance for a screwed up jump...in case you go out of control, there better not be anybody downwind.  Good advice: don't jump when someone is within 3 line lengths downwind.  You can use one line length just traveling downwind, and another line length sweeping the kite forward for landing.  That leaves one line length of margin for error.

                wrote:

                > STARBOARD or right hand forward has the RIGHT OF WAY . Example: A
                guy
                > is coming toward you and you are on a port tack or left hand
                forward .
                > Pick a line away from him . You bear off, or go down wind of
                him .Also
                > if a faster rider is over taking a slower rider set your edge and
                spray
                > him as good as you can . No the rules state the slower rider has
                the
                > right of way , he can't see you coming up from behind . Same rules
                > apply to windsurfs . also wind power has right of way over motor
                power
                > but don't try to prove a point with a boat .
                > Attitude is Everything ( nautically specking )
                > Steve

              • stevelinane
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 30, 2007
                  This is all good input thanks Jason Tom and Jon , when there was only
                  3 or 4 of us out there nun of this mattered but with #s growing we
                  mite need to get civilized . --- In

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 30, 2007
                    Good points by all.

                    I think when I'm teaching a newbie up at the Peak. I will tie a trailing edge ribbon to kite.  If you see this ribbon or "tell-tail", assume the kiters is going to do everything in there power to get in your way... and don't assume he/she will do the right thing ..therefore turn and run or give him/her plenty of room.

                    I will teach ROW with lessons from now on.

                    Eddy

> [...]

                    error.

                    > On 6/30/07, stevelinane <stevelinane@ ...>
                    wrote:

                    > > NO JON
                    > > Nothing has happened that
                    know of , except I have overheard a
                    couple
                    > > of windsurfers a
                    couple times complain to a certain kiter about
                    his
                    > > riding. .
                    not you Jon. I'v been meaning to post this for some
                    time .
                    > > So
                    in responds to the latest emails about projected kiter turn out
                    > > and
                    beach etiquette I thought it was time to remind everyone of
                    the

                    standard .
                    > > PS For those of you that have all this education please

                    ---
                    > > In
                    href="mailto:snowkiteidaho%40yahoogroups.com">snowkiteidaho@ yahoogroups. com <snowkiteidaho%
                    40yahoogroups. com>,
                    <stevelinane@ >
                    > > wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > STARBOARD or right hand forward has the RIGHT OF WAY . Example:
                    > > guy
                    > > > is coming toward you and you are on a
                    port tack or left hand
                    > > forward .
                    > > > Pick a line away
                    from him . You bear off, or go down wind of
                    > > him .Also
                    > > > if a faster rider is over taking a slower rider set your edge
                    and
                    > > spray
                    > > > him as good as you can . No the
                    rules state the slower rider has
                    > > the
                    > > > right of way
                    , he can't see you coming up from behind . Same
                    rules

                    apply to windsurfs . also wind power has right of way over motor

                    power
                    > > > but don't try to prove a point with a boat .
                    > > > Attitude is Everything ( nautically specking )

                    Steve

                  • hawkicd11
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 30, 2007
                      ROW = very good.... now eddy might not try to jump into my bubble
                      just to scare me anymore ~;)

                      --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, "Gear Daddy, LLC"
                      <geardaddy@...> wrote:

                      > Good points by all.
                      >
                      > I think when I'm teaching a newbie up at the Peak. I will tie a
                      trailing
                      > edge ribbon to kite. If you see this ribbon or "tell-tail",
                      assume the
                      > kiters is going to do everything in there power to get in your
                      way... and
                      > don't assume he/she will do the right thing ..therefore turn and
                      run or give
                      > him/her plenty of room.
                      >
                      > I will teach ROW with lessons from now on.
                      >
                      > Eddy
                      >
                      > _____

                    • B rad
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 30, 2007
                        thanks everyone for the info. i guess i never really understood the rules with oncoming
                        traffic. this seems to clear most of it up.

                        B RAD

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 1, 2007
                           The low pressure system is not budging so tomorrow might work at the LP.  This morning was great.

                          If the windicators say its on I'll be there!

                          Eddy

                          BTW the rest of the week should provide a little action everyday
                        • kiterguuy
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 1, 2007
                            ill be on the coast hiting up whiskey run so if any one wants to come
                            down for the 4th feel free.i know it is far but worth it. --- In
                            snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, "Gear Daddy, LLC" <geardaddy@...> wrote:

                            > The low pressure system is not budging so tomorrow might work at the
                            LP.
                            > This morning was great.
                            >
                            > If the windicators say its on I'll be there!
                            >
                            > Eddy
                            >
                            > BTW the rest of the week should provide a little action everyday
                            > <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?
                            s=97359714/grpId=14092643/grpspId=1705065786/msgI
                            > d=1635/stime=1183264746/nc1=4430620/nc2=4507179/nc3=4699083>

                          • Dr. Binegar
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 4, 2007

                              I was out of town and enjoyed reviewing all the ROW info.  Two things I’ve noticed when I am behind a kiter and nearing my next jibe are:

                              1.  Kiters often seem to crank it up wind before they do their turn?

                              2.  Kiters don’t seem to look behind them before they do their turn?  I often feel like I do when I am skiing behind a boarder, they don’t know I am there.  Is it difficult for a kiter to look behind them like it is for a snowboarder? Or are some kiters maybe too focused on their kite when they are about to turn?

                              I am not trying to be critical, just want to know what to expect from other kiters and when and if I ever get to be out there on a kite.

                              Thanks.

                              William G Binegar, MD

                              Pain Medicine-Board Certified

                              Anesthesiology-Board Certified

                              Medical Director

                              Pain Care Boise

                              301 W. Myrtle

                              Boise, ID   83702

                              Office: 208.342.8200 | Fax: 208.342.8202

                              www.paincareboise.com