Launching and landing kites at Barclay bay.

    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 25, 2007
      Well, we all knew it would be a matter of time....  what I mean is that the Barclay bay windsurfing/kite boarding launch is getting crowded.  Last Friday I counted 8 kite all getting pumped up and ready to launch at the same time.  While everyone made it out without incident, conditions were less than idea.  Several times I saw people pumping kites with lines dangling over there heads/necks while people were trying to launch.  Not so good.  I can't imagine what it would have been like with 2 more kiters and the usual 6-8 windsurfers.

      We need a safer system.  Let start a discussion of ideas so we reduce the chances of getting hurt.  Here are some of my ideas.

      1. Get your wetsuit on and gear down by the beach BEFORE pumping your kite and laying out lines.

      2. Pump your kite before laying out your lines.  There is only enough room for about 3 sets of lines to be laid out at once.

      3. Do not pump kites too far upwind of the launch area.  I.E. Pump kites away from the active launch area.  Pump kites down by the new dock, not in the middle of the active entry/exit corridor.

      4. When launching, yell out to others to make sure they are aware of you.

      5. The person going out from the beach should have the right of way over someone coming in to the beach.

      6. Before launching, check your lines for correctness before releasing the kite to the air. (This one is for me)

      -ONLY IDEAS

      Hopefully tomorrow morning will be on.

      -Jason

      Jason Brickner
      Olympus Controls
      Automation Engineer | Boise, Idaho
      Tel. 208.475.4670 | Fax 208.475.4583
      Email: jbrickner@olympus-controlscom
      Web: www.olympus-controls.com
      Info On Our New Name: http://www.olympus-controls.com/name.php

    • hawkicd11
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 25, 2007
        good thoughts Jason, I agree completely! I think your rules hit the
        issues head on. maybe we should have quick gatherings to go over
        right of way and launching rules when all the people show up at once
        like we did on friday. it will keep things safer..

        --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Brickner"
        <jasonbrickner@...> wrote:

        > Well, we all knew it would be a matter of time.... what I mean is
        that the
        > Barclay bay windsurfing/kite boarding launch is getting crowded.
        Last
        > Friday I counted 8 kite all getting pumped up and ready to launch
        at the
        > same time. While everyone made it out without incident,
        conditions were
        > less than idea. Several times I saw people pumping kites with
        lines
        > dangling over there heads/necks while people were trying to
        launch. Not so
        > good. I can't imagine what it would have been like with 2 more
        kiters and
        > the usual 6-8 windsurfers.
        >
        > We need a safer system. Let start a discussion of ideas so we
        reduce the
        > chances of getting hurt. Here are some of my ideas.
        >
        > 1. Get your wetsuit on and gear down by the beach BEFORE pumping
        your kite
        > and laying out lines.
        >
        > 2. Pump your kite before laying out your lines. There is only
        enough room
        > for about 3 sets of lines to be laid out at once.
        >
        > 3. Do not pump kites too far upwind of the launch area. I.E. Pump
        kites
        > away from the active launch area. Pump kites down by the new
        dock, not in
        > the middle of the active entry/exit corridor.
        >
        > 4. When launching, yell out to others to make sure they are aware
        of you.

        > 5. The person going out from the beach should have the right of
        way over
        > someone coming in to the beach.
        >
        > 6. Before launching, check your lines for correctness before
        releasing the
        > kite to the air. (This one is for me)
        >
        > -ONLY IDEAS
        >
        > Hopefully tomorrow morning will be on.
        >
        > -Jason
        >

        > Jason Brickner
        > Olympus Controls
        > Automation Engineer | Boise, Idaho
        > Tel. 208.475.4670 | Fax 208.475.4583
        > Email: jbrickner@...
        > Web: <http://www.olympus-controls.com/> www.olympus-controls.com
        > Info On Our New Name: http://www.olympus-controls.com/name.php

      • BRAD Mosell
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 25, 2007
          yep agreed, and the problem is only gonna get worse, i mean can you imagine
          when theres like 20 kiters on that beach! i believe were comming up on a new
          era in boise kitesurfing and the rules jason laid out are what we need to
          keep it safe.

          B RAD

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 25, 2007
            RULES SMULES ...

            Joking ... Well said, but I go first.

            Eddy

            href="mailto:hawkicd11%40yahoo.com">hawkicd11@yahoo. com>
            >To:
            snowkiteidaho@ yahoogroups. com
            >Subject:
            [snowkiteidaho] Re: Launching and landing kites at Barclay bay.
            >Date:
            Mon, 25 Jun 2007 21:01:58 -0000

            href="mailto:snowkiteidaho%40yahoogroups.com">snowkiteidaho@ yahoogroups. com, "Jason Brickner"
            ><jasonbrickner@ ...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Well, we all knew it would be a matter of time.... what I mean
            is
            >that the
            > > Barclay bay windsurfing/ kite boarding
            launch is getting crowded.
            >Last
            > > Friday I counted 8 kite all
            getting pumped up and ready to launch
            >at the
            > > same time.
            While everyone made it out without incident,
            >conditions were

            less than idea. Several times I saw people pumping kites with
            >lines
            > > dangling over there heads/necks while people were
            trying to
            >launch. Not so
            > > good. I can't imagine what it would
            have been like with 2 more
            >kiters and
            > > the usual 6-8
            windsurfers.

            > > We need a safer system. Let start a
            discussion of ideas so we
            >reduce the
            > > chances of getting
            hurt. Here are some of my ideas.

            > > 1. Get your wetsuit
            on and gear down by the beach BEFORE pumping
            >your kite
            > > and
            laying out lines.

            > > 2. Pump your kite before laying out
            your lines. There is only
            >enough room
            > > for about 3 sets of
            lines to be laid out at once.

            > > 3. Do not pump kites too
            far upwind of the launch area. I.E. Pump
            >kites
            > > away from the
            active launch area. Pump kites down by the new
            >dock, not in

            the middle of the active entry/exit corridor.

            > > 4. When
            launching, yell out to others to make sure they are aware
            >of you.
            > >
            > > 5. The person going out from the beach should have the right
            of
            >way over
            > > someone coming in to the beach.
            > >
            > > 6. Before launching, check your lines for correctness
            before
            >releasing the
            > > kite to the air. (This one is for
            me)

            > > -ONLY IDEAS
            > >
            > > Hopefully
            tomorrow morning will be on.

            > > -Jason
            > >

            > > Jason Brickner
            > > Olympus
            Controls
            > > Automation Engineer | Boise, Idaho
            > > Tel.
            208.475.4670 | Fax 208.475.4583
            href="http://www.olympus-controls.com/">http://www.olympus- controls. com/> www.olympus- controls. com
            > > Info On Our New Name:
            href="http://www.olympus-controls.com/name.php">http://www.olympus- controls. com/name. php

            http://liveearth. msn.com?source= msntaglineliveea rthhm

          • hawkicd11
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 25, 2007
              i dont think so.... someone has to launch the nubes

              --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, "Gear Daddy, LLC"
              <geardaddy@...> wrote:

              > RULES SMULES ...
              >

              > Joking ... Well said, but I go first.
              >
              > Eddy
              >
              > _____

            • tony williams
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 25, 2007
                You can go before me Eddy if you show up at 6:20 when I do.

                href="http://www.olympus-controls.com/" target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://www.olympus- controls. com/>
                > controls.com/ > www.olympus- controls. com
                > > > Info On Our New Name: http://www.olympus-
                > <http://www.olympus- controls. com/name. php> controls.com/ name.php

                > Get a preview of Live Earth, the hottest event this summer - only
                on MSN
                > http://liveearth. <http://liveearth. msn.com?
                source=msntaglineli veearthhm>
                > msn.com?source= msntaglineliveea
                rthhm

                Building a website is a piece of cake.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 26, 2007
                    Just a hint folks,  After launching and you are entering the water, as soon as your feet are no longer touching, you are going to start drifting downwind thus losing power in the kite.  Don't keep the kite so low to the water that you can not dive it to keep power and also, if you are going to body drag out past the bouyies use your board along the line of your body to keep resistance agianst the kite and try to go up wind.  Do these things and you will have a much easier time.

                    PS
                    Sorry some of  you missed the wind this morning, Does this mean I will start seeing people out earlier?

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 26, 2007
                      Good tips Tony... and this was the magic that got me out and riding the second attempt.  Three more hints.

                      1. Don't get greedy and try to get on the board too soon.  It may be a workout, but drag out past the docks.  The wind gets stronger and smoother the further you go.  Plus it give more time to get your head together and up on the board.

                      2. Don't bring the kite up too high over your head.  A strong gust will shoot it forward and potentially Hindenburg the kite.

                      3. If you start loosing power in the kite, swim upwind away from it. (Eddy hint)

                      -Jason

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 26, 2007
                          When Body dragging try twisting the bar so that it is parallel to water and the lower line is not dragging in water.  This will reduce the tendency of the kite being pulled down when the line loads up with water.

                          Keep an eye up wind if it looks strong keep kite lower than 45^ if it looks like a lull approaching send kite a bit higher tha 45^.

                          Just some helpful pointers.

                          So far everyone that Body Drags out 2x past the furthest buoy has a good session.

                          More tips later.
                          Eddy

                          The wind was light but do-able...tomorrow and the next few days should be better

                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 14, 2008

                            <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48251/*http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting