RE: [snowkiteidaho] Re: kites for sale!!!1

    Message 1 of 9 , May 25, 2007
      For me it isn't a problem.  We are such a small group, that I don't mind a couple extra emails.  Two of the BEST pieces of equipment I own came from someone posting information on this site.  The best kite I own is an old 2002 16M kite I bought used from Steve Linane last year.  I wouldn't have know about it if he hadn't posted it on this site.  My favorite piece of equipment is my Crazy-fly board which I bought brand new from Eddy.  Eddy let us know he had a few and let me take it to the Bahamas to try before I bought.  THAT WAS AWESOME.  The reason I say this is that I bought two kites from a store in hood river site unseen.  I do NOT like them.  From now on, I will not purchase a NEW kite until I fly it first.  I think it's great that Eddy lets you try something before buying.  I don't mind paying him whatever he thinks is fair for that service.  And if you have a problem with equipment he will work with you on getting the issue resolved.

      I know that Eddy has access to Ozone and Airush kites and Crazy Fly boards.  Now Ryan has access to Flysurfer equipment.  The best part is that they will let you try them before you buy them so you don't end up like me with two kites that you spent a bunch of money on that you don't like.  I don't see how this is a bad thing for the group.  Plus, I don't think anyone is trying to get rich selling kiteboarding equipment in Idaho.  If they are, they better go get some help.  We don't have the room for a valley full of water Kiteboarders.  :-)

      I look forward to seeing you all out on the water.  I was ready to go this morning.  Darn it!

      -Jason

      From:  "Eddy" <geardaddy@cableone. net>
      To:  "Ryan Wait" <ryanwait@hotmail. com>
      Subject:  Re: kites for sale!!!1
      Date:  Thu, 24 May 2007 21:05:37 -0000
      >Ryan,
      >
      >Just in Case you did not know. I started this site for my business,
      >which is Gear Daddy LLC. I don't care if you sell personal stuff on
      >it. But please use if for personal stuff only and not your business.
      >
      >Let me know if you have a problem with that.
      >Eddy

      PC Magazine’s 2007 editors’ choice for best Web mail—award-winning Windows Live Hotmail.

    • Tom von Alten
      Message 2 of 9 , May 25, 2007
        Whitney Rearick wrote:
        > We had a similar issue on the Idaho Whitewater listserv....
        > They started a listserv just for buying and selling river-related
        > gear - they call it RiverTrader....

        Interesting issue.

        I'm not in the market for kiting gear (yet), but if a new group
        were set up specifically for buying and selling stuff "related to
        all wind sports," the Boise Sailors Association group
        ( http://groups.google.com/group/BoiseSailors ) members would
        probably want to participate.

        As it is now, there is no restriction (or problem) with the
        occasional "used gear wanted/for sale" posts from whomever, and
        the BSA group is non-commercial (and managed by a benevolent
        dictator - me).

        I think it would have been better (or at least more professional)
        had Ryan not responded publicly to Eddy's private message, but
        that's done, so we all can discuss it here until Eddy kicks us out.

        While I knew that Eddy had a commercial interest here, I did
        not know that he saw this group as a commercial enterprise; if
        that's what you want Eddy, consider a more descriptive Description
        on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/snowkiteidaho/ . As it is now
        ("Snowkite, snow kite, kitesurf, kiteboard, kiteski Adventures in
        Idaho."), it reads more like keywords, and does not let anyone
        know that it's proprietary to Gear Daddy LLC.
        _____________
        Tom von Alten http://fortboise.org
        tva@...
        Message 3 of 9 , May 25, 2007
          Gear Daddy Here  A.K.A.  Eddy!!!

          Most people know that I started "snowkiteidaho" web group when I started my business 2004, Gear Daddy LLC now with ~1500 posts. It was setup so that I could communicate when I or others were going kiting, also it was available so that anyone could sell their personal "used" gear, and to promote the sports locally. I do moderate the group and keep "undesirables" out!!! Ryan you are not the "undesirables" I'm referring to.

          If everyone thinks that I should not promote my business on this group and should start another site for that then so be it. But I have a feeling that this will happen again and I'll get told the same thing. I chose a web group over a website for a reason, It keeps people involved. If I need to redo the title bar then I will.  I will leave this up to the group to decide.

          FYI: the only time I post Gear sales on this group is when a really terrific deal is available. I don't get on this site and Praise or Bash any particular Brand. I don't undercut anyone who is selling gear to sell mine, But I guess I should mention that I can get ANY BRAND of kite! But I do prefer to sell what I fly and know. There are a lot of brands out there that just follow someone else's lead and try to pick up the free ride...happens all the time. You get what you pay for!

          I was asking Ryan on a private level, to not promote his business on something I setup and moderate for my business. Ryan has his own site in which he can promote his business. Just in case you have not heard of it it is called snowkiteidaho.com, I have no problem promoting his site.  I also will promote any site he wants to start.

          I take a lot of  pride in what I've helped establish locally...I'm happy to help anyone out, when ever , where ever. I'm not making a so-called "killing" in kiting and never was that a goal. I have not made a profit in this business. I got into this to help promote the industry which I have many great friends. Those people working and surviving are important to me. I've been in wind sports (kiting, windsurfing, paragliding, snowkiting, etc) for over 30 years and I don't see that changing. I plan on promoting it for a while or for at least as long as my body works.

          I'm sorry this personal request was listed to the group!

          Don't worry I'm not a dictator like "Tom" And I'm not going to kick anyone out nor would he...lol....

          I have asked and therefore what happens happens.

          Eddy

          > We had a similar issue on the Idaho Whitewater
          listserv....
          > They started a listserv just for buying and selling
          river-related
          > gear - they call it
          RiverTrader. ...

[...]

          ____________ _
          Tom von Alten http://fortboise. org
          tva@fortboise. org

        • hawkicd11
          Message 4 of 9 , May 25, 2007
            this is a touche subject, many different aspects to consider. my
            take is that eddie has never had a problem with people posting used
            gear for sale on here. the issue started when ryan mentioned
            distributing flexifoils locally. eddie probably doesn't care about
            the fact that ryan is trying to directly compete with him, but it is
            the fact that ryan is utilizing the foundation that eddie
            established to market his new business that can be frustrating.
            eddie has never claimed to be the dictator of anything, but he is
            the moderator of this group, and he has been an integral part of
            establishing a kiting community in this area for the last ten
            years. maybe that deserves a little bit of respect.

            i personally dig what ryan and monte are trying to do with snowkite
            soldier, opening a lodge up at camas and trying to grow the sport
            locally. maybe its time they put a forum(or possibly just update
            their site occassionally) on snowkitesoldier.com to discuss what
            products they are planning on selling and the services they plan on
            rendering to backup their products. that would be all they needed
            to market locally. i would check it out.....

            lets face the facts. we are a small community of wind enthusiasts
            just looking for a thrill. neither eddie nor ryan are going to get
            rich off of selling kites anytime soon, probably not even close.
            eddie was just trying to protect what little market he has built so
            he can continue to offer the service he renders. which i believe is
            definitely good service.

            for example: i bought a 2007 instinct sport 13m from eddie two
            months ago. absolutely love it.... last weekend i dropped it on the
            leading edge and cut a big gash in it... eddie took it home and
            fixed the repair that night.. excellent repair job, rendered in a
            timely fashion, for no charge. I call that an excellent warranty
            program...

            what kind of warranty program will you establish to backup your
            Ion2's ryan? do you have the experience to repair kites properly,
            not to mention the right equipment..... maybe you should list this
            stuff on your website.

            i think these are important questions.. and before you bash eddie
            for being a dictator consider the amount of time, money, and effort
            he has put into this community to support it properly, and to get us
            to the point where we can enjoy this sport together.....

            --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, "Jason Brickner"
            <jasonbrickner@...> wrote:

            > For me it isn't a problem. We are such a small group, that I
            don't mind a
            > couple extra emails. Two of the BEST pieces of equipment I own
            came from
            > someone posting information on this site. The best kite I own is
            an old
            > 2002 16M kite I bought used from Steve Linane last year. I
            wouldn't have
            > know about it if he hadn't posted it on this site. My favorite
            piece of
            > equipment is my Crazy-fly board which I bought brand new from
            Eddy. Eddy
            > let us know he had a few and let me take it to the Bahamas to try
            before I
            > bought. THAT WAS AWESOME. The reason I say this is that I bought
            two kites
            > from a store in hood river site unseen. I do NOT like them. From
            now on, I
            > will not purchase a NEW kite until I fly it first. I think it's
            great that
            > Eddy lets you try something before buying. I don't mind paying
            him whatever
            > he thinks is fair for that service. And if you have a problem with
            > equipment he will work with you on getting the issue resolved.
            >
            > I know that Eddy has access to Ozone and Airush kites and Crazy
            Fly boards.
            > Now Ryan has access to Flysurfer equipment. The best part is that
            they will
            > let you try them before you buy them so you don't end up like me
            with two
            > kites that you spent a bunch of money on that you don't like. I
            don't see
            > how this is a bad thing for the group. Plus, I don't think anyone
            is trying
            > to get rich selling kiteboarding equipment in Idaho. If they are,
            they
            > better go get some help. We don't have the room for a valley full
            of water
            > Kiteboarders. :-)
            >
            > I look forward to seeing you all out on the water. I was ready to
            go this
            > morning. Darn it!
            >
            > -Jason
            >
            > _____

            <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=47093/*http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/22
            2> with
            > an Edge to see what's on, when.

          • Tom von Alten
            Message 5 of 9 , May 26, 2007
              You don't have any reason to care about my opinion, Ryan, as I don't
              kite and don't seem too likely to start (although Eddy did generously
              give me a shot at it), and I sure as hell am not going to do anything
              to help you get rich... but I've done my part to promote collegiality
              and goodwill in local area windsports.

              I have to say you're coming across as a rather amazing butthead,
              starting with the totally unprofessional forwarding of a private email
              to the list. I don't imagine you checked with Eddy if it was OK to do
              that.

              Or to buy up the snowkiteidaho.com domain... not to actually USE it,
              but just to make it a redirection to your other domain.

              Huh.

              You want to advertise on the list, put a link in your .sig, and that
              way every message you send will have a "free" ad. Just don't make it
              plain www.snowkiteidaho.com or www.snowkitesoldier.com until you
              figure out how to put up a default index page. The Apache error
              message, the whining, the plan to "get rich" -- none of those seem
              particularly attractive as advertising.

              Cheers,
              _____________
              Message 6 of 9 , May 26, 2007
                ryan, i understand where you are coming from in the belief that you
                have the right to market your business on this forum. yet eddie has
                specifically told you that he finds it inappropriate to market your
                business on this site. many forums have these types of associations
                to companies, just look at their sponsors. eddie does have
                responsibilities to maintain with his sponsors and i understand his
                desire to keep people using those products.

                but this is beside the point, my kite got screwed up because i had
                the bridle tuned improperly, you were there, you saw that it wasn't
                flying well.... that was my fault, but eddie took care of it
                anyway...... why, because he does things like that, for lots of
                people. i dont know much about self mending plasma(i will check it
                out), but i do know that things need to be fixed sometimes, and a
                good supplier has the ability to take care of things like that.. i
                wouldn't want to send my kite to flexifoil to get it fixed, i would
                rather the seller be able to take care of it, quick, so i can get
                back on the water the next day.

                my kite spins on a dime by the way, it is super stable, and has tons
                of power and adjustability....

                he is not the only one helping to improve this community, but he is
                an integral part. im waiting to see what you have to offer..... i
                don't know how much business experience you have, but it seems that
                you are too focused on hyping your product, selling your product,
                and hopes and wishes.. i have been a key player in the paintball
                industry for over 8 years and watched the the industry lose alot of
                ground because of this type of behaviour. i have watched companies
                fall to pieces because of jerks that want to improve margins
                (outsourcing to china), hype crappy product, and fail to recognize
                the key to any niche sport of this nature, good stores and
                suppliers. the key to growing kiteboarding is good lessons(safety
                is #1), good service, and then sales of outstanding products.... i
                understand that monte is capable of selling, servicing, and teaching
                people how to use the flexifoil kites, but are you? i also
                understand that flexifoil makes great kites, has good service, and
                isn't going to f*&k the industry because of greed... i am excited
                about the potential of this sport, and the opportunities that we as
                a community can create together... just don't put the cart before
                the horse, and try to have a little respect for those that are
                already doing what you aspire to do... and i am serious when i say
                that you guys should update your site, maybe even add a forum...

                regards,
                Hawk
              • kiterguuy
                Message 7 of 9 , May 27, 2007
                  iv heard good things about flexi foil but one of there team riders
                  billy parker a lot of people say he is better than hadlow and flexi
                  wont help out with him geting to the comps on the pkra read the
                  messege below sounds like they are in it for the money not the sol
                  part

                  Only posting this here because I know that some of you have met and
                  rode with Billy. Besides being one the most amazing kiteboarders out
                  there he is about as cool of a guy as you could ever imagine.

                  Well, his sponser seems to be content with Aaron Hadlow being the
                  face of their company and are not helping out with getting Billy to
                  the PKRA events. He only entered one last year and came in 2nd..
                  beating Ruben Lenten and Hadlow himself. The guy is truly one of the
                  best on a kite. Us locals are lucky beyond belief to get to ride with
                  him anytime the wind comes up.

                  Local rider, and close friend to Billy, Jayson is trying to get folks
                  to donate a small amount of $$$ and surprise Billy with enough to
                  cover a trip to next months Cabarete event. Anything will help.

                  And ya.. being sponsered apparently does not mean much....

                  This is all happening without Billy knowing so if you are in contact
                  w/ him please dont mention it.

                  Details are at:
                  http://www.fksa.org/showthread.php?p=19657#post19657

                  if any issues getting to the forum, payapl email address is
                  raver_jay@....

                  Any questions at all, feel free to contact me or send Jayson an email
                  at the same address as his paypal account.

                  Thanks all!!

                  -Bryan
                  St. Petersburg, FL
                  _________________
                • Ryan Wait
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 29, 2007

                    hey jon, did you write all this about billy parker? or did you cut and paste from some forum.

                    Andrew and I stayed with billy and the other flexi guys in pismo, ca. rode with him alot. a super  powerful kiter, every trick was huge, fast, and clean! They might not pay him to go to all the pkra events, but he gets plenty of support. And yes he is a really humble, cool guy. i will likely see him this fall @ hatteras.

                    cheers, RTW-K.S.-I.K.A.

                    From: "kiterguuy" <kiterguuy@...>
                    To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 05:42:26 -0000

                    raver_jay@excite. com.

                    Any questions at all, feel free to contact me or send Jayson an email
                    at the same address as his paypal account.

                    Thanks all!!

                    -Bryan
                    St. Petersburg, FL

                    Like the way Microsoft Office Outlook works? You�ll love Windows Live Hotmail.