Group calendar / sailing reports

  • Tom von Alten
    Message 1 of 5 , May 11 4:54 PM
      Hi Jason:

      I've been thinking about the question you raised:
      > Does the Boise Sailors Google Group have a Group calendar
      > feature for people to log their sailing comments? I hate
      > for you to spend your time updating the calendar every year.
      > That has to get monotonous after a while. Now would be a
      > good time to start since we are at the beginning
      > of the season.

      Indeed it would.

      The novelty has worn off for me, and I'm not gung ho on
      collecting, combining, and editing individual reports into
      the dailies as I have done for a surprisingly large number of
      years.

      The one element missing if we were to use www.google.com/calendar
      or something like it is the archive of NOAA data that I have
      automated on my site. (It was turned off for the winter, but came
      back in mid-April... just haven't created a table/index to it yet.
      URLs are http://fortboise.org/windsurfing/wind.20070428.html
      for example, showing one that I DID post the report for -- I've
      done half a dozen or so...)

      Combining sailing reports with weather observations was what
      prompted me to start doing this, last millennium.

      As it is now, the compiled NOAA data goes up without my intervention;
      it has a pointer to a "report" file that is initially blank (and
      only editable/postable by me). I've thought about a web form for
      you all to post what you like, whenever you like... but have to do
      it in such a way to keep spammers from hosing my site... and haven't
      been finding the time to play around with it. So I don't know.

      There was the phpBB thing, too. And WAP formatting. Life is so
      short.
      _____________
      Tom von Alten http://fortboise.org
      tva@...

      PS Email lists/groups are more useful if you change the Subject
      line when the subject changes. and quote previous messages sparingly.
      And don't add addresses of people already on the list so they get
      multiple copies. Then there's the cross-posting problem...
      Message 2 of 5 , May 12 12:03 AM
        So Tom,

        Since you setup the BoiseSailorsAssociation, could you setup a Google calendar for us to use.  It would be nice to only allow members to post to keep out the riffraff.  Anymore, it is easy to find historical weather data for any day.. Heck... someone could cut and paste the data in for that morning.  What do you think. Did you check out the site I sent you?

        ____________ _
        Tom von Alten http://fortboise. org
        tva@fortboise. org

        Message 3 of 5 , May 12 11:52 AM
          Add today as a kiting day.  All by myself again....
          eddy

          Message 4 of 5 , May 12 12:48 PM
            WIND HOG!!!

            You need to learn to share. ;-)  Actually, I checked this morning and it looked marginal.  Guess I'll have to go for it next time.  Time is tickin'.

            -Jason

          • jasonbrickner@msn.com
            Message 5 of 5 , May 13 9:27 PM
              So I missed out at indian creek today. That's ok. Its mothers day, had to fly to san fran for training. Suck it up. There will be other days.
              As we are landing, i'm thinking, "what am I going to do for the rest of the afternoon." just as we fly over the golden gate bridge, I see about 50 kiteboaders down below. Then I see another 30 just 10mins south of the airport.

              Lesson I learned. Check the weather and bring you s**t. Damn, the wind is blowing 25. It would have been nice.

              ciao

              _____