Lake Lowell access and kitesurfing - again

  • Tom von Alten
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 4, 2007
      Last September 27th, I forwarded Steve Baker's first-person account
      of the incident at Lake Lowell, and the statement and explanation
      of the status of kitesurfing there. It also seems timely to
      reiterate Jim Tighe's suggestion that we coordinate efforts to
      communicate with the powers-that-be. The group memory from one
      season to the next is not looking very sharp...

      Note the observation that THERE IS NO BENEFIT TO THE WILDLIFE
      REFUGE from having us visit with our water toys.
      _____________
      Tom von Alten http://fortboise.org
      tva@...

      Steve Baker sent me his account of the incident at the Lake last
      week, and gave me permission to forward it to these groups. It seems
      that from the refuge manager's point of view, kitesailing, at least,
      IS INDEED BANNED. (Perhaps if people hadn't tried to tow
      parasailors behind motorboats, they wouldn't have had a knee-jerk
      reaction to the concept? Who knows.)

      Windsurfing MAY BE banned ("no permission is granted"), but is at
      least in limbo, along with motor toys. I have no idea how ripe or
      valid any of the cited "lawsuits from both sides" might be.

      I'm open to suggestion for the best way to coordinate a response
      that produces the result we want -- lake access for our
      environmentally friendly, low-impact sports.
      _____________

      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 4, 2007
        I don't remember his name either... but it makes my BLOOD BOIL just thinking about that arrogant assh-le.  My last words to the guy were, "If the wind is even blowing good out here again, I will be back".  Just let me know if anyone goes out and I will join them.  The rules indicate that wind powered craft ARE ALLOWED.  I am a wind powered craft.  Plain and simple!

        -Jason

        To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
        From: geardaddy@...
        Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 09:39:32 -0600
        Subject: RE: [snowkiteidaho] Re: Kitesurfing link to BSA hotspots

        I do not remember his name but Jason Bricker, Steve Baker, Brad Mosell might

        The Ranger said that it was under authority of the head ranger at Deer Flats?

        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 4, 2007
          I'm there w/ ya Jason !

          To: snowkiteidaho@ yahoogroups. com
          From: geardaddy@cableone. net
          Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 09:39:32 -0600

          <geardaddy@. ..> wrote:

          > When we were kicked off last year, the ranger said no kiting....
          >
          > Now we could not find any literature that says "no" to kitesurfing,
          but it
          > did say "yes" to wind/human powered sailing vessels. so the Ranger
          said
          > where is our boat registration sticker... blah blah blah
          >
          > Jon you can be "tactful" see if you can get us permission
          >
          > Eddy
          >
          > _____

        • B rad
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 4, 2007
            Ya Jason, im definetely in too. I think the most ironic part of the
            whole thing was the whole time the cop was chewin us out there was
            that car with 4 kids smokin joints in the back seat. you would think a
            cop would notice somethin like that.

            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 5, 2007
              Amen Brother... He was so damn anxious to 'kill our buzz' that he neglected the teeny-boopers 'scoobing the dooby' right behind me.  Blood boiling again.

              Looking forward to seeing you out there again B-RAD.

              I'm looking for you to teach us 'older' guys some new tricks.

              -Jason

              To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
              From: ld.king@...
              Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 03:23:38 +0000