RE: [snowkiteidaho] Kitesurfing link to BSA hotspots

  • Bolt, Jon
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 3, 2007
      Anyone know where the eagle nest is that's mentioned in newsletter?  Sounds like its between Gotts point and the boat launch?...but once they hatch & leave, shouldn't be a problem to kite if there's no written or publicly posted prohibition.

      Jon

      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 4, 2007
        Doesn't look like BLM has any authority over Lake Lowell - and
        registration stickers exist only for motor boats. Who was this
        ranger, exactly?

        --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, "Gear Daddy, LLC"

        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 4, 2007
          I do not remember his name but Jason Bricker, Steve Baker, Brad Mosell might

          The Ranger said that it was under authority of the head ranger at Deer Flats?

          _____

          href="mailto:snowkiteidaho%40yahoogroups.com">snowkiteidaho@ yahoogroups. com
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 4, 2007
            Last September 27th, I forwarded Steve Baker's first-person account
            of the incident at Lake Lowell, and the statement and explanation
            of the status of kitesurfing there. It also seems timely to
            reiterate Jim Tighe's suggestion that we coordinate efforts to
            communicate with the powers-that-be. The group memory from one
            season to the next is not looking very sharp...

            Note the observation that THERE IS NO BENEFIT TO THE WILDLIFE
            REFUGE from having us visit with our water toys.
            _____________
            Tom von Alten http://fortboise.org
            tva@...

            Steve Baker sent me his account of the incident at the Lake last
            week, and gave me permission to forward it to these groups. It seems
            that from the refuge manager's point of view, kitesailing, at least,
            IS INDEED BANNED. (Perhaps if people hadn't tried to tow
            parasailors behind motorboats, they wouldn't have had a knee-jerk
            reaction to the concept? Who knows.)

            Windsurfing MAY BE banned ("no permission is granted"), but is at
            least in limbo, along with motor toys. I have no idea how ripe or
            valid any of the cited "lawsuits from both sides" might be.

            I'm open to suggestion for the best way to coordinate a response
            that produces the result we want -- lake access for our
            environmentally friendly, low-impact sports.
            _____________

            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 4, 2007
              I don't remember his name either... but it makes my BLOOD BOIL just thinking about that arrogant assh-le.  My last words to the guy were, "If the wind is even blowing good out here again, I will be back".  Just let me know if anyone goes out and I will join them.  The rules indicate that wind powered craft ARE ALLOWED.  I am a wind powered craft.  Plain and simple!

              -Jason

              To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
              From: geardaddy@...
              Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 09:39:32 -0600

              <geardaddy@. ..> wrote:

              > When we were kicked off last year, the ranger said no kiting....
              >
              > Now we could not find any literature that says "no" to kitesurfing,
              but it
              > did say "yes" to wind/human powered sailing vessels. so the Ranger
              said
              > where is our boat registration sticker... blah blah blah
              >
              > Jon you can be "tactful" see if you can get us permission
              >
              > Eddy
              >
              > _____

            • Bolt, Jon
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 4, 2007
                I'm there w/ ya Jason !

                To: snowkiteidaho@ yahoogroups. com
                From: geardaddy@cableone. net
                Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 09:39:32 -0600

                <geardaddy@. ..> wrote:

                > When we were kicked off last year, the ranger said no kiting....
                >
                > Now we could not find any literature that says "no" to kitesurfing,
                but it
                > did say "yes" to wind/human powered sailing vessels. so the Ranger
                said
                > where is our boat registration sticker... blah blah blah
                >
                > Jon you can be "tactful" see if you can get us permission
                >
                > Eddy
                >
                > _____

              • B rad
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 4, 2007
                  Ya Jason, im definetely in too. I think the most ironic part of the
                  whole thing was the whole time the cop was chewin us out there was
                  that car with 4 kids smokin joints in the back seat. you would think a
                  cop would notice somethin like that.

                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 5, 2007
                    Amen Brother... He was so damn anxious to 'kill our buzz' that he neglected the teeny-boopers 'scoobing the dooby' right behind me.  Blood boiling again.

                    Looking forward to seeing you out there again B-RAD.

                    I'm looking for you to teach us 'older' guys some new tricks.

                    -Jason

                    To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
                    From: ld.king@...
                    Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 03:23:38 +0000