RE: [snowkiteidaho] Kitesurfing link to BSA hotspots

  • Bolt, Jon
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007
      Eddy...how do you know it's closed to kitesurfing?  was that in the Deer Flat newsletter, or based on the verbal exchange w/ ranger last year?

      thanks.

      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 3, 2007
        When we were kicked off last year, the ranger said no kiting....

        Now we could not find any literature that says "no" to kitesurfing, but it did say "yes" to wind/human powered sailing vessels. so the Ranger said where is our boat registration sticker... blah blah blah

        Jon you can be "tactful" see if you can get us permission

        Eddy

        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 3, 2007
          Anyone know where the eagle nest is that's mentioned in newsletter?  Sounds like its between Gotts point and the boat launch?...but once they hatch & leave, shouldn't be a problem to kite if there's no written or publicly posted prohibition.

          Jon

          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 4, 2007
            Doesn't look like BLM has any authority over Lake Lowell - and
            registration stickers exist only for motor boats. Who was this
            ranger, exactly?

            --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, "Gear Daddy, LLC"

            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 4, 2007
              I do not remember his name but Jason Bricker, Steve Baker, Brad Mosell might

              The Ranger said that it was under authority of the head ranger at Deer Flats?

              _____

              href="mailto:snowkiteidaho%40yahoogroups.com">snowkiteidaho@ yahoogroups. com
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 4, 2007
                Last September 27th, I forwarded Steve Baker's first-person account
                of the incident at Lake Lowell, and the statement and explanation
                of the status of kitesurfing there. It also seems timely to
                reiterate Jim Tighe's suggestion that we coordinate efforts to
                communicate with the powers-that-be. The group memory from one
                season to the next is not looking very sharp...

                Note the observation that THERE IS NO BENEFIT TO THE WILDLIFE
                REFUGE from having us visit with our water toys.
                _____________
                Tom von Alten http://fortboise.org
                tva@...

                Steve Baker sent me his account of the incident at the Lake last
                week, and gave me permission to forward it to these groups. It seems
                that from the refuge manager's point of view, kitesailing, at least,
                IS INDEED BANNED. (Perhaps if people hadn't tried to tow
                parasailors behind motorboats, they wouldn't have had a knee-jerk
                reaction to the concept? Who knows.)

                Windsurfing MAY BE banned ("no permission is granted"), but is at
                least in limbo, along with motor toys. I have no idea how ripe or
                valid any of the cited "lawsuits from both sides" might be.

                I'm open to suggestion for the best way to coordinate a response
                that produces the result we want -- lake access for our
                environmentally friendly, low-impact sports.
                _____________

                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 4, 2007
                  I don't remember his name either... but it makes my BLOOD BOIL just thinking about that arrogant assh-le.  My last words to the guy were, "If the wind is even blowing good out here again, I will be back".  Just let me know if anyone goes out and I will join them.  The rules indicate that wind powered craft ARE ALLOWED.  I am a wind powered craft.  Plain and simple!

                  -Jason

                  To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
                  From: geardaddy@...
                  Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 09:39:32 -0600

                  <geardaddy@. ..> wrote:

                  > When we were kicked off last year, the ranger said no kiting....
                  >
                  > Now we could not find any literature that says "no" to kitesurfing,
                  but it
                  > did say "yes" to wind/human powered sailing vessels. so the Ranger
                  said
                  > where is our boat registration sticker... blah blah blah
                  >
                  > Jon you can be "tactful" see if you can get us permission
                  >
                  > Eddy
                  >
                  > _____

                • Bolt, Jon
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 4, 2007
                    I'm there w/ ya Jason !

                    To: snowkiteidaho@ yahoogroups. com
                    From: geardaddy@cableone. net
                    Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 09:39:32 -0600

                    <geardaddy@. ..> wrote:

                    > When we were kicked off last year, the ranger said no kiting....
                    >
                    > Now we could not find any literature that says "no" to kitesurfing,
                    but it
                    > did say "yes" to wind/human powered sailing vessels. so the Ranger
                    said
                    > where is our boat registration sticker... blah blah blah
                    >
                    > Jon you can be "tactful" see if you can get us permission
                    >
                    > Eddy
                    >
                    > _____

                  • B rad
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 4, 2007
                      Ya Jason, im definetely in too. I think the most ironic part of the
                      whole thing was the whole time the cop was chewin us out there was
                      that car with 4 kids smokin joints in the back seat. you would think a
                      cop would notice somethin like that.

                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 5, 2007
                        Amen Brother... He was so damn anxious to 'kill our buzz' that he neglected the teeny-boopers 'scoobing the dooby' right behind me.  Blood boiling again.

                        Looking forward to seeing you out there again B-RAD.

                        I'm looking for you to teach us 'older' guys some new tricks.

                        -Jason

                        To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
                        From: ld.king@...
                        Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 03:23:38 +0000