It ain't over til' the Fat Lady melts...mid to late April????

  • Brian Kerr
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 28, 2007
      A week ago I got skunked for the second time in a row at Camas. Even
      More depressing was the lack of snow. So on Saturday,my son Garrett
      and I spent his 22nd Birthday exploring a 7000 ft ridge near Cascade
      ,ID. I had explored this area a couple of years ago before I had a
      keen interest in snowkiting. I thought that it might be open enough to
      allow for some spectacular kiting with the right wind direction. The
      snowmobile ride was almost a exhilirating as the snowkiting, as the
      final approach requires a scary 400 ft climb to gain access to this
      remote Shangrala.

      It was only the third time snowkiting for both Garrett and myself. I
      was focused on trying NOT to get myself strangled,bruised, broken and
      otherwise mangled before being blown over the top of the ridge.
      Garrett on the other hand amazed me by pulling off big jumps with 360
      spins,grabs, and way big "Air Railey's". We both came back with big
      grins and very sore abs. Truely a Birthday Party to remeber.

      Conditions were spectacular with 3-5 feet of dense (walkable) snow
      with a covering of 1-2 inches of soft melted surface snow. If you can
      get there conditions will likely be kiteable until mid to late
      April....maybe May????

      For a link to photos go to http:// picasaweb.google.com/bkerr01 or
      check out the web album in photos " A Room with a Few"
      also posted a few pics of Jon Bolt on the Camas in Feb in a seperate album

      Mow Wind
      Brian Kerr
    • Brian Kerr

                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 29, 2007
                        that place looks awesome.... Ive got a few questions?

                        How do I get there?
                        What wind direction does it work well with?
                        What was the wind in Boise(direction/mph) when you left?
                        What was the wind up there?
                        How far did you have to ride the snowbizzles?

                        please inform, looks like you found the spring spot.

                        thanx
                        Hawk

                        --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Kerr" <mowwind@...>
                        wrote:

                        > A week ago I got skunked for the second time in a row at Camas.
                        Even
                        > More depressing was the lack of snow. So on Saturday,my son Garrett
                        > and I spent his 22nd Birthday exploring a 7000 ft ridge near
                        Cascade
                        > ,ID. I had explored this area a couple of years ago before I had a
                        > keen interest in snowkiting. I thought that it might be open
                        enough to
                        > allow for some spectacular kiting with the right wind direction.
                        The
                        > snowmobile ride was almost a exhilirating as the snowkiting, as the
                        > final approach requires a scary 400 ft climb to gain access to this
                        > remote Shangrala.
                        >
                        > It was only the third time snowkiting for both Garrett and myself.
                        > was focused on trying NOT to get myself strangled,bruised, broken
                        and
                        > otherwise mangled before being blown over the top of the ridge.
                        > Garrett on the other hand amazed me by pulling off big jumps with
                        360
                        > spins,grabs, and way big "Air Railey's". We both came back with
                        big
                        > grins and very sore abs. Truely a Birthday Party to remeber.
                        >
                        > Conditions were spectacular with 3-5 feet of dense (walkable) snow
                        > with a covering of 1-2 inches of soft melted surface snow. If you
                        can
                        > get there conditions will likely be kiteable until mid to late
                        > April....maybe May????
                        >
                        > For a link to photos go to http:// picasaweb.google.com/bkerr01 or
                        > check out the web album in photos " A Room with a Few"
                        > also posted a few pics of Jon Bolt on the Camas in Feb in a
                        seperate album

                        > Mow Wind
                        > Brian Kerr

                      • B rad
                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 29, 2007
                          Well guys the fat lady has melted. Me and Eddy went to camas today for
                          the final run of the season. Wind was great but the snow just wasnt
                          there. We resorted to the flats behind snowmo park but even that was
                          gone. Eddy was on his snow board and had a great time jumping streams,
                          grinding through dirt and even gettin some water kiting in. I
                          unfortunately learned that ski's don't float and was sorta cornered in
                          the remaining area of snow and mud. Great Season and one hell of a way
                          to end it. Can't wait for the water, see you guys out there,

                          B RAD

                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 31, 2007
                            Hey guys,

                            I got this link from the BSA  (Boise Sailors Association) Thanks Tom.

                            http://fortboise.org/maps/sailing-spots.html?lat=43.08&lng=-115.493&z=14&t=h&i=8

                            Google map of all the local possibilities.  In case somebody has not heard Lake Lowell's Gott Point is closed to Vehicles and Kitesurfing.

                            Eddy

                            Gear Daddy LLC
                            Eddy Petranek
                            3256 E. Red Stone Dr.
                            Boise, ID 83712
                            geardaddy@...
                            (208) 863-6966

                            Message 13 of 23 , Mar 31, 2007
                              Couple photos of the last day.

                              Check out t the one where you can see the water hole and the 2 times I ran down the hill over the water and jumped out into the flats. This day was the trifecta a little snowkiting, dirtkiting, and waterkiting. And FYI my snowboard goes on the water remarkable well I was even going upwind on some of the longer passes, I told Crazy fly that I have a new board design for them.

                              Eddy

                              Well guys the fat lady has melted. Me and Eddy went to camas today for
                              the final run of the season. Wind was great but the snow just wasnt
                              there. We resorted to the flats behind snowmo park but even that was
                              gone. Eddy was on his snow board and had a great time jumping streams,
                              grinding through dirt and even gettin some water kiting in. I
                              unfortunately learned that ski's don't float and was sorta cornered in
                              the remaining area of snow and mud. Great Season and one hell of a way
                              to end it. Can't wait for the water, see you guys out there,

                              B RAD

                              --- In snowkiteidaho@ yahoogroups. com, "Brian Kerr" <mowwind@... > wrote:

                              > A week ago I got
                              skunked for the second time in a row at Camas. Even
                              > More depressing was
                              the lack of snow. So on Saturday,my son Garrett
                              > and I spent his 22nd
                              Birthday exploring a 7000 ft ridge near Cascade
                              > ,ID. I had explored this
                              area a couple of years ago before I had a
                              > keen interest in snowkiting. I
                              thought that it might be open enough to
                              > allow for some spectacular
                              kiting with the right wind direction. The
                              > snowmobile ride was almost a
                              exhilirating as the snowkiting, as the
                              > final approach requires a scary
                              400 ft climb to gain access to this
                              > remote Shangrala.

                              It was only the third time snowkiting for both Garrett and myself. I
                              > was
                              focused on trying NOT to get myself strangled,bruised, broken and

                              otherwise mangled before being blown over the top of the ridge.
                              > Garrett
                              on the other hand amazed me by pulling off big jumps with 360

                              spins,grabs, and way big "Air Railey's". We both came back with big

                              grins and very sore abs. Truely a Birthday Party to remeber.

                              Conditions were spectacular with 3-5 feet of dense (walkable) snow
                              > with
                              a covering of 1-2 inches of soft melted surface snow. If you can
                              > get
                              there conditions will likely be kiteable until mid to late

                              April....maybe May????

                              > For a link to photos go to http://
                              picasaweb.google. com/bkerr01 or
                              > check out the web album in photos "
                              A Room with a Few"
                              > also posted a few pics of Jon Bolt on the Camas in
                              Feb in a seperate
                              album

                              > Mow Wind
                              > Brian
                              Kerr

                            • Bolt, Jon
                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 2, 2007
                                Eddy...how do you know it's closed to kitesurfing?  was that in the Deer Flat newsletter, or based on the verbal exchange w/ ranger last year?

                                thanks.

                                I got this link from the BSA  (Boise Sailors Association) Thanks Tom.

                                http://fortboise. org/maps/ sailing-spots. html?lat= 43.08&lng=-115.493&z=14&t=h&i=8

                                Google map of all the local possibilities.  In case somebody has not heard Lake Lowell's Gott Point is closed to Vehicles and Kitesurfing.

                                Eddy

                                Gear Daddy LLC
                                Eddy Petranek
                                3256 E. Red Stone Dr.
                                Boise, ID 83712
                                geardaddy@cableone. net
                                (208) 863-6966

                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 3, 2007
                                  When we were kicked off last year, the ranger said no kiting....

                                  Now we could not find any literature that says "no" to kitesurfing, but it did say "yes" to wind/human powered sailing vessels. so the Ranger said where is our boat registration sticker... blah blah blah

                                  Jon you can be "tactful" see if you can get us permission

                                  Eddy

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 3, 2007
                                    Anyone know where the eagle nest is that's mentioned in newsletter?  Sounds like its between Gotts point and the boat launch?...but once they hatch & leave, shouldn't be a problem to kite if there's no written or publicly posted prohibition.

                                    Jon

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Apr 4, 2007
                                      Doesn't look like BLM has any authority over Lake Lowell - and
                                      registration stickers exist only for motor boats. Who was this
                                      ranger, exactly?

                                      --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, "Gear Daddy, LLC"

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Apr 4, 2007
                                        I do not remember his name but Jason Bricker, Steve Baker, Brad Mosell might

                                        The Ranger said that it was under authority of the head ranger at Deer Flats?

                                        _____

                                        href="mailto:snowkiteidaho%40yahoogroups.com">snowkiteidaho@ yahoogroups. com
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Apr 4, 2007
                                          Last September 27th, I forwarded Steve Baker's first-person account
                                          of the incident at Lake Lowell, and the statement and explanation
                                          of the status of kitesurfing there. It also seems timely to
                                          reiterate Jim Tighe's suggestion that we coordinate efforts to
                                          communicate with the powers-that-be. The group memory from one
                                          season to the next is not looking very sharp...

                                          Note the observation that THERE IS NO BENEFIT TO THE WILDLIFE
                                          REFUGE from having us visit with our water toys.
                                          _____________
                                          Tom von Alten http://fortboise.org
                                          tva@...

                                          Steve Baker sent me his account of the incident at the Lake last
                                          week, and gave me permission to forward it to these groups. It seems
                                          that from the refuge manager's point of view, kitesailing, at least,
                                          IS INDEED BANNED. (Perhaps if people hadn't tried to tow
                                          parasailors behind motorboats, they wouldn't have had a knee-jerk
                                          reaction to the concept? Who knows.)

                                          Windsurfing MAY BE banned ("no permission is granted"), but is at
                                          least in limbo, along with motor toys. I have no idea how ripe or
                                          valid any of the cited "lawsuits from both sides" might be.

                                          I'm open to suggestion for the best way to coordinate a response
                                          that produces the result we want -- lake access for our
                                          environmentally friendly, low-impact sports.
                                          _____________

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Apr 4, 2007
                                            I don't remember his name either... but it makes my BLOOD BOIL just thinking about that arrogant assh-le.  My last words to the guy were, "If the wind is even blowing good out here again, I will be back".  Just let me know if anyone goes out and I will join them.  The rules indicate that wind powered craft ARE ALLOWED.  I am a wind powered craft.  Plain and simple!

                                            -Jason

                                            To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
                                            From: geardaddy@...
                                            Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 09:39:32 -0600

                                            <geardaddy@. ..> wrote:

                                            > When we were kicked off last year, the ranger said no kiting....
                                            >
                                            > Now we could not find any literature that says "no" to kitesurfing,
                                            but it
                                            > did say "yes" to wind/human powered sailing vessels. so the Ranger
                                            said
                                            > where is our boat registration sticker... blah blah blah
                                            >
                                            > Jon you can be "tactful" see if you can get us permission
                                            >
                                            > Eddy
                                            >
                                            > _____

                                          • Bolt, Jon
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Apr 4, 2007
                                              I'm there w/ ya Jason !

                                              To: snowkiteidaho@ yahoogroups. com
                                              From: geardaddy@cableone. net
                                              Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 09:39:32 -0600

                                              <geardaddy@. ..> wrote:

                                              > When we were kicked off last year, the ranger said no kiting....
                                              >
                                              > Now we could not find any literature that says "no" to kitesurfing,
                                              but it
                                              > did say "yes" to wind/human powered sailing vessels. so the Ranger
                                              said
                                              > where is our boat registration sticker... blah blah blah
                                              >
                                              > Jon you can be "tactful" see if you can get us permission
                                              >
                                              > Eddy
                                              >
                                              > _____

                                            • B rad
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Apr 4, 2007
                                                Ya Jason, im definetely in too. I think the most ironic part of the
                                                whole thing was the whole time the cop was chewin us out there was
                                                that car with 4 kids smokin joints in the back seat. you would think a
                                                cop would notice somethin like that.

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Apr 5, 2007
                                                  Amen Brother... He was so damn anxious to 'kill our buzz' that he neglected the teeny-boopers 'scoobing the dooby' right behind me.  Blood boiling again.

                                                  Looking forward to seeing you out there again B-RAD.

                                                  I'm looking for you to teach us 'older' guys some new tricks.

                                                  -Jason

                                                  To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
                                                  From: ld.king@...
                                                  Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 03:23:38 +0000