Soldier Mountain Kiteboarding

  • Mark Westerdoll
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 19, 2013
      Hello Kiters,
      There has been a huge change at Soldier lately and I'm going back to be a Catskiing Guide again. The new managers were asking me about the possibility of lift served kiteboarding in some of the areas in/out of bounds at Soldier. I was up there this week and there is enough snow to be riding there now. Anybody interested in a session with the managers to show them what we do/need?

      There are two subjects they are intrested in, day kiters and overnighters at their yurt. The terrain off of the top of the second chair is open rolling ridges, mostly south facing, 7,000 feet. I'll start monitoring wind patterns, they are willing to put up a web wind meter.  The other interest is in overnight yurt trips based on kiting, is there any interest there? What kind of support would be needed?

      Reply with your comments to this thread and I'll pass it on to Soldier, we can probably get a ride up on the lifts and have a brainstorming, trial run anytime if there is interest, BYOK and stoke!!

      Westy
    • RUSTY HILL
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 19, 2013
        Pick me!!!! I would love to explore and see what potential is up there. It's hard to say what support would be needed before going up and experiencing and exploring but I am definitely keen to give some input!

        Rusty Hill
        208.891.7744

[...]

      • Will Hise
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 19, 2013
          Me Me Me!!!

          I'd be interested in seeing what's available and hearing what the costs might be.

          With poor snow years, finding a good higher altitude spot with snow and wind would be great as long as it's not too expensive (and I know Soldier typically has great rates!).

          On a good snow year, his challenge would be convincing us to drive passed all that great riding in Camas to pay for a lift ticket.

          Still, it's awesome that they are even considering it and I'd like to support that.

          --Will

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 19, 2013
            guess i should have copied everyone on the original thread....

            On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 9:43 PM, Will Hise <will.hise@...> wrote:
            Me Me Me!!!

            I'd be interested in seeing what's available and hearing what the costs might be.

            With poor snow years, finding a good higher altitude spot with snow and wind would be great as long as it's not too expensive (and I know Soldier typically has great rates!).

            On a good snow year, their challenge would be convincing us to drive passed all that great riding in Camas to pay for a lift ticket.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 20, 2013
                      OK, I forwarded our post to Kristi at Soldier and suggested we shoot for Monday, I'll let everyone know as soon as I do. I'll have more details then, the ball is in her court now!

                      Thanks for the rapid and multitude of response!
                      Westy

                      To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 20, 2013
                        Mention to a few people including my wife (who kites) and the idea of having a destination and place to stay near kiting is intriguing.
                        Especially on a Friday night like tonight where the snow may make getting up their difficult. We'd totally drive up Friday night. Sleep. And then kite the weekend.

                        I have a crew of kiters coming from Southern California in feb. I'll get their opinion as well.

                        Monday is the only day next week I can't go but sounds like we have some good representation without me.

                        To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com

                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 20, 2013
                            Working on Monday. Maybe some weekend I could go.

                            Sent from my iPhone

                            To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com