LP This Weekend

  • jwattboi
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 25, 2013
      I'm planning on going up Sat and Sun if it's blowin.  Anyone else up for it?
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 25, 2013
        I might give it a go.  Drove up there with kids about 10:30 this morn.  6 truck loads of fresh sand on beach looks great.  New pebbles look great also.

        Eddy

        On Oct 25, 2013, at 5:03 PM, <jwattboi@...> wrote:

        I'm planning on going up Sat and Sun if it's blowin.  Anyone else up for it?

      • Will Hise

          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 25, 2013
            Tom C. went up this morning said it was weak , he got started around 8:00 am ,he did get some kiting in . He also went up Wednesday said it was barely doable . Larry the SUP guy was out and Chris Lee decided not go sighting not enough wind . On the bright side He said the water and air didn’t feel that cold and he doesn’t like the cold .
            . forecast for Sunday better then tomorrow ,be sure to bring a shovel  if there is no wind you can stay warm moving sand and gravel .

                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 26, 2013

                      It looked too light at the super secret spot so I hiked in and was on the water about 9.  Jake out first.  Tom and Jack joined the kiters and Chris went out windsurfing.  Powered 12 with a few jumps and backrolls here and there, then it got holey and light so mowed for a while and called it a little after 10.

                      The meter looked better than it was out on the water.  The sun hits the cove beach at 10:20.  Jake used his new big board and looked like he made it up toward beef butte.  Tom, Jack, and I didn't get that far upwind and I saw Chris but he never got up where we were.

                      Hoping for a better wind Sunday, or maybe an earlier start.

                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 26, 2013
                        That's actually Betsy since I left my sail at home and never made it out. :-)
                        I guess Jack kiteboard instead of windsurfing.

                        Best regards,
                        Chris Lee

                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 26, 2013

                          Eddy…. YES!

                          I was at 2 soccer games this morning THEN boo at the zoo later.  Good times.  Hope someone got a little.  It sure felt cold this morning.

                          -JBrick

                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 27, 2013
                            Anyone going today? What's best time to get started?
                          • jwattboi
                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 27, 2013
                              Heading up shortly…   Jake was first on at ~9 yesterday.  sun doesn't hit the beach till 10:20 so that would be ideal, but probably late and short.
                              Anyone going today? What's best time to get started?

                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 27, 2013
                                I think I'll target 9:30

                                Eddy

                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 27, 2013
                                  It's cranking 9:40

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Oct 27, 2013
                                     Crazy fun morning. Smallest kite I brought was my 12, not expecting to use it.  Popped one of my biggest jumps of year at the wall.

                                    No gloves, no hood, no booties.  It was great.  But I started about 10.

                                    See ya next year Lucky Peak!!!

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Oct 27, 2013

                                      I think I saw that jump from way across the reservoir while still on the beach...BAM!  Seriously high.

                                      What a great and interesting day.  Rodeo, sketch-ball launches, failed drift launches, kites floating without any rider, kites floating with a rider, spaghetti balls, Eddy seeing if he can high-five somebody at the overlook, etc.

                                      It looked like the best 12m wind when I left at noon. Tom went back out and it looked like the wind was still great.

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Oct 27, 2013
                                        Thanks Eddy you saved again my kite! Amazing to see how you can manage two kites where I can't manage one!See you on the snow
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Oct 28, 2013
                                          Some unusual weather event yesterday morning, huh?...at noon running errands way out around Columbia & 5 mile (the end of 5 mile), then out to Kuna.  Amazing the strong SE wind out there.  Wondering if you guys hit 40mph up @ LP?

                                          Also noticed outside temp sensor on car showed 66 degrees @ noon when 8AM temp @ airport was around 42...so a warm wind.  Just looked at RH yesterday and it went from around 70% way down to 15-20% from noon-4pm...so dry wind too...warm & dry.  Those are symptoms of "Santa Ana" type, katabatic winds.  Here's yesterday's national pressure maps:

                                          H pressure area between 4 corners & Utah, with L pressures coming in over NW Washington.  Wonder if that national profile is what caused the wind, or something more local.  If local, it was darn big....