Re: [snowkiteidaho] Fw: Fwd: Win a 2014 Naish Park!

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 19, 2013
      Steve, that short summary of early kiting's one of the best I've read or heard.  Just about sums it all up.  I'd add two things.

      1)  The early 4-liners were a total pain to relaunch.  After the yard sales (most epic at CJ & the Snake in NW fronts), better have a ton of downwind room cause you drifted so far trying to get it to relaunch, and had to swim like Michael Phelps (at the kite to get it to flip on its back).  The 5th line on 5-line kites was the first innovation to address relaunch challenges.  [The 2-liners relaunched about as easy as today's 4 liners, but early 4 liners were not "gimmes" at relaunch].

      2)  Surprisingly, it wasn't until 2005 or even later that kook-proof hookups showed up on kites to prevent accidental reversal of front & back line connections to kite pigtails.  Unfortunately, that mistake was not rare, especially in haste to get on the water, making for a darn scary megaloop at launch and many an injury I'm sure (lets not forget that corkscrew kiteloop was by a high powered C-kite, and instinctively pushing bar out to depower would only succeed in fully powering the reversed side of the kite, making things worse).

      On Wed, Sep 18, 2013 at 4:29 PM, Steve Linane <itile@...> wrote:

      This is fun to watch . I started  with a directional board ( Naish sky pirate) and a  two line kite . No safety release ,no depower , you had to unhook to get a way from the kite , and no donkey  dick , so you unhooked by accident all the time . even after 4 lines came along very little depower and still no release or donkey dick , so some of us  used a metal shackle  , witch was theoretically suppose to release but good luck with that . and remember these were C kites twitchy jerky , prone to Hindenburg , with unbelievable power . and no range . A gust would hit you and you would be screaming down wind . the only way to  control it was edge hard and bring the kite to the edge of the window . If that didn’t work you tried to  get under the kite  by out racing it , or sending it to 12 o'clock . the first resulted in a yard sale at mock 1 and the second in unbelievable air time and then a yard  sale at mock 1 . At the end of the video Robby said you needed to be a athlete or crazy to kite back then .I never thought of myself as a athlete .
      Steve

      Naish Kiteboarding eNews Header Image

      Enter to win a 2014 Naish Park

      Win a 2014 Naish Park!

      Designed with fun in mind, the Park is one kite that does it all for any rider, any style, in any condition, making every day on the water, your best day.

      Here's your chance to win the 2014 Naish Park!

      Simply complete the survey between now and October 18th and you will be entered in our random drawing to win your very own 2014 Naish Park. The winner will be contacted via email promptly on October 19th. After all, we want you to get out on the water and feel the thrill of the Park as soon as possible!

      Click here to enter!

      Watch latest episode of NKTV

      NKTV S03E06 – 13 Years of Naish Kiteboarding

      Kiteboarding equipment has gone through incredible changes in a short period of time. Naish has been there since the beginning, at the forefront of innovating and moving the sport forward, always pushing the standard in performance, safety, and quality.

      Watch Robby Naish, Kevin Langeree and the Richman brothers lay out the full range of old and new Naish kiteboarding gear and fly it back to back to show you how dramatic the evolution of the sport has truly been.

      Watch it now >>

      Check out today's gear at www.naishkites.com and see what you've been waiting for.

      See Naish Kiteboarding on FacebookFollow us on TwitterWatch Naish on VimeoFollow us on Instagram

      This email was sent to tcavaiani@...
      why did I get this?    unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences
      Naish International · 810 Haiku Rd., Suite 380 · Haiku, HI 96708

      --
      Thomas Cavaiani, PhD
      Lecturer

    • RUSTY HILL

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 19, 2013
            Those were the day when we whittled or boards out of a hickory stump and lashed them to our cowboy boots with rawhide . the first kites were made from the canvas off our covered wagons . the bar was a spoke off the wheel . and kite lines were made from baling twine . and to pump up our kites ,we used the blacksmiths bellows . and it was up wind to school both ways .
            Steve-Old