Re: [snowkiteidaho] Turner Fire

  • Josh Woodland
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 2 5:16 AM

      Will the smoke kill it?

      On Jul 2, 2013 5:36 AM, "Greg" <daflyinhawaiian64@...> wrote:

      Well Barclay bay is open for business this morning

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jul 1, 2013, at 5:46 PM, Josh Woodland <woodland.josh@...> wrote:

      I heard on the radio that there's a fire at Turner. Anyone have an inside, and know how bad it is? Is tomorrow morning still looking like a good day to skip work for wind?

      Thanks,
      Josh

    • Jim shultz

          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 2 9:03 AM
            Well the smoke did not kill the wind but it was definately in the air as I could smell it straight away as I got out of the car.
            10 kiters today and 0 wind surfers.  up and down wind with varying locations of holes.  Was stronger then yesterday and still pretty fun as long as you had a good sized kite.

            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 2 9:52 AM
              Found a nice Da Kine Fusion harness that was left at Barclay.  Any bidders?

              Sent from my iPhone

              Message 6 of 24 , Jul 2 10:24 AM
                Tony,

                This looked like a stellar day from the numbers. You make it sound like it was less than average.  Did everyone else find it on the lighter side?

                Regards,
                -Jason Brickner
                Olympus Controls
                (208)-475-4670

                  Message 8 of 24 , Jul 2 12:21 PM

                    Maybe it depends on the direction of the wind.  Maybe the values are slightly different between the meter and what is actually happening out on the water.

                    -JBrick

                        Message 11 of 24 , Jul 2 3:20 PM
                          Well there were strong gusts from time to time but also some big holes. Maybe meter is just in a better spot then out on the water

                          Sent from my iPhone

                          Message 12 of 24 , Jul 2 5:38 PM

                            Wow… the graph looked perfect and strong.  Must have been a direction thing.  There is no calibration of the anemometer so it should be indicating what is happening up on the roof of the trailer.  Solid low twenties from 6 – 8 with gusts to high 20s.

                            Message 13 of 24 , Jul 2 5:56 PM
                              don't forget that it doesn't report lulls.

                              Message 14 of 24 , Jul 2 6:14 PM
                                I don't think I agree 100% with the previous gloomy reports. I don't know if it was differences in kites, nights rest or other reasons, but I think today's wind wasn't too bad. Yes, it was patchy at times, as I've come to expect, but I've seen MUCH worse at LP. A lot of the morning, in my opinion, was pretty smooth and I think the numbers were pretty close assuming its not measuring the slowest the wind blows at any given timeframe but the average. Maybe I'm just tickled to be kiting back at LP and have a rosy view, but the smell of smoke and newly crispy scenery didn't take away one bit from my fun this morning. (Last years smoke was 10x worse) I love seeing so many kiters, and would have loved to see more windsurfers, out there on a weekday. Hopefully more to come soon!

                                Rusty Hill
                                208.891.7744

                                On Jul 2, 2013, at 6:56 PM, Will Hise <will.hise@...> wrote:

                                don't forget that it doesn't report lulls.

                                On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 6:38 PM, Jason Brickner <jasonbrickner@...> wrote:

                                Wow… the graph looked perfect and strong.  Must have been a direction thing.  There is no calibration of the anemometer so it should be indicating what is happening up on the roof of the trailer.  Solid low twenties from 6 – 8 with gusts to high 20s.

                                <image001.png>

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jul 3 6:43 AM
                                          I would have been one of those coming in later (when wind was likely dying making conditions that much more challenging) were it not for my "twerking" obsession, which made my departure from the water far less dramatic as the winds were pretty solid when I came in.  An observation from someone who has spent less time than most at LP, the lighter the wind when departing the water, the higher the likelihood of kite drama!

                                          Hope you all get some great sessions, I'm heading out of town for awhile!

                                          Cheers!

                                          Sent from my iPhone

[...]

                                          Recent Activity:
                                          Yahoo! Groups