Re: [snowkiteidaho] Turner Fire

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 1, 2013
      News says fire not expected to be contained till tomorrow evening. What's the word Jim Shultz

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jul 1, 2013, at 5:46 PM, Josh Woodland <woodland.josh@...> wrote:

      I heard on the radio that there's a fire at Turner. Anyone have an inside, and know how bad it is? Is tomorrow morning still looking like a good day to skip work for wind?

      Thanks,
      Josh

    • Greg

              Message 6 of 24 , Jul 2, 2013
                Well the smoke did not kill the wind but it was definately in the air as I could smell it straight away as I got out of the car.
                10 kiters today and 0 wind surfers.  up and down wind with varying locations of holes.  Was stronger then yesterday and still pretty fun as long as you had a good sized kite.

                Message 7 of 24 , Jul 2, 2013
                  Found a nice Da Kine Fusion harness that was left at Barclay.  Any bidders?

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  Message 8 of 24 , Jul 2, 2013
                    Tony,

                    This looked like a stellar day from the numbers. You make it sound like it was less than average.  Did everyone else find it on the lighter side?

                    Regards,
                    -Jason Brickner
                    Olympus Controls
                    (208)-475-4670

                      Message 10 of 24 , Jul 2, 2013

                        Maybe it depends on the direction of the wind.  Maybe the values are slightly different between the meter and what is actually happening out on the water.

                        -JBrick

                            Message 13 of 24 , Jul 2, 2013
                              Well there were strong gusts from time to time but also some big holes. Maybe meter is just in a better spot then out on the water

                              Sent from my iPhone

                              Message 14 of 24 , Jul 2, 2013

                                Wow… the graph looked perfect and strong.  Must have been a direction thing.  There is no calibration of the anemometer so it should be indicating what is happening up on the roof of the trailer.  Solid low twenties from 6 – 8 with gusts to high 20s.

                                Message 15 of 24 , Jul 2, 2013
                                  don't forget that it doesn't report lulls.

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jul 2, 2013
                                    I don't think I agree 100% with the previous gloomy reports. I don't know if it was differences in kites, nights rest or other reasons, but I think today's wind wasn't too bad. Yes, it was patchy at times, as I've come to expect, but I've seen MUCH worse at LP. A lot of the morning, in my opinion, was pretty smooth and I think the numbers were pretty close assuming its not measuring the slowest the wind blows at any given timeframe but the average. Maybe I'm just tickled to be kiting back at LP and have a rosy view, but the smell of smoke and newly crispy scenery didn't take away one bit from my fun this morning. (Last years smoke was 10x worse) I love seeing so many kiters, and would have loved to see more windsurfers, out there on a weekday. Hopefully more to come soon!

                                    Rusty Hill
                                    208.891.7744

                                    On Jul 2, 2013, at 6:56 PM, Will Hise <will.hise@...> wrote:

                                    don't forget that it doesn't report lulls.

                                    On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 6:38 PM, Jason Brickner <jasonbrickner@...> wrote:

                                    Wow… the graph looked perfect and strong.  Must have been a direction thing.  There is no calibration of the anemometer so it should be indicating what is happening up on the roof of the trailer.  Solid low twenties from 6 – 8 with gusts to high 20s.

                                    <image001.png>

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jul 3, 2013
                                              I would have been one of those coming in later (when wind was likely dying making conditions that much more challenging) were it not for my "twerking" obsession, which made my departure from the water far less dramatic as the winds were pretty solid when I came in.  An observation from someone who has spent less time than most at LP, the lighter the wind when departing the water, the higher the likelihood of kite drama!

                                              Hope you all get some great sessions, I'm heading out of town for awhile!

                                              Cheers!

                                              Sent from my iPhone

[...]

                                              Recent Activity:
                                              Yahoo! Groups