URGENT CONSIDERATION: South Padre in Sept/October anyone???

    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 11, 2013
      Morning wind junkies!  It's your friendly travel & entertainment coordinator spreading temptations...

      Southwest just started a 72 hr fare sale ending June 13 midnight, for travel between Aug 26 & Dec 18.. Anyone wanna go to SPI in late Sept or October?
      For some reason San Antonio (SAT) doesn't show up in their list of destination cities out of Boise, but I checked and they do have service in September & October.   Fares $140 each way are plentiful at the moment.
      I looked for air routes closer to SPI.  Directly to Corpus from Boise, that service ends July 5. Boise to Harlingen...they do have that route but only on one or two days each week, cheapest fare is $302 each way, & plane change/more hassle & time.  So round trip to SAT saves $320 vs. Harlingen, which would easily fund share of a rental car & probably most of a condo or house.  In years past, on the drive down to SPI we stopped in Corpus to kite Packary Channel.

      [I also looked at Outerbanks.  Can get there outbound leg for $164, but they only have one day each week for a return connection, and cheapest return is $269.  Southwest will not have this service from Boise after September 22, and early September still in prime hurricane season so more risk of tropical lows that shut off wind...or too much wind.  Also, it takes a lot more travel & drive time to get to OBX vs. SPI...you spend a fully day getting there & returning.  So SPI is preferable.]
      The gameplan would be fly in/out of SAT, share rental car & nice condo or house.  The more the participation, the greater the fun, & cheaper the cost too.

      TIMING: I'm thinking around Oct 1 +/- a couple weeks, so sometime between Sept 15 and Oct. 15, and probably stay for a week or maybe a little more so can negotiate a week rate & get an extra day or two added for free.  The earlier before Oct. 1, there are 3 issues: a) more late summer heat & humidity, b) more risk of hurricane/tropical low shutting off wind, c) the Gorge may still be going.  As you get closer to November it starts cooling off, wind starts becoming more uncertain and shorties unlikely.  So I guess I'm proposing departing sometime between Oct 1 and Oct. 15 the latest.
      Who's interested in/around that window?

    • Tonyswilliams

        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 11, 2013

          I’m interested, but that is prime soccer season for the kids so not sure if there are any tournaments on either weekend.  I’ll check and get back.

          -JBrick

          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 11, 2013
            Later is better for Annie and I. But we'd be down if we could get cheap fares. What would you estimate the total cost of flights, car and accommodation to be?

            Rusty Hill
            208.891.7744

            On Jun 11, 2013, at 7:40 AM, Jon Bolt <idakiteman@...> wrote:

[...]

          • Jake Dobson

                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 11, 2013
                  Didn't want to wait for the low ticket prices to disappear, so I booked a flight leaving 10/2 @ 3:20pm and coming back 10/9 @ 6:40 from San Antonio.  Let me know if anyone want to share a rental car/ hotel.

                  Jake

                  Sent from my iPad

[...]

                  [I also looked at Outerbanks.  Can get there outbound leg for $164, but they only have one day each week for a return connection, and cheapest return is $269.  Southwest will not have this service from Boise after September 22, and early September still in prime hurricane season so more risk of tropical lows that shut off wind...or too much wind.  Also, it takes a lot more travel & drive time to get to OBX vs. SPI...you spend a fully day getting there & returning.  Sois preferable.]
                  The gameplan would be fly in/out of SAT, share rental car & nice condo or house.  more the participation, the greater the fun, & cheaper the cost too.

                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 11, 2013

                    Way to go Jake,

                    That’s the spirit.  I’m going to have to say no.  There is a tournament one of the weekends John mentioned, plus I need to help get the home business geared up for the winter sales season.

                    Regards,

                    -JBrick

                        Message 11 of 29 , Jun 12, 2013
                          PROPOSAL:

                          Monday Oct 14 is a Federal holiday, so might help participation if we could include that date in the SPI trip window.  However, starting the preceding Saturday (10/12) and returning following Sunday 10/20 is problematic.  Cheapest return fair on Sunday 10/20 is $295 and travel on Sundays is usually more expensive.  Returning Saturday 10/19 would leave only 6 days at SPI, since it takes a day to get there, and a day to return.  So, how about this:

                          Depart Saturday 10/5, return Monday 10/14.  There are $140 fares on both days.  Favorable flight schedules too.  There is 7:15am departure on 10/5 that arrives SAT 1:30PM, which might allow getting to Corpus in time for quick sesh & dinner.  Also, for the return there is 6:40pm departure from SAT which allows the whole day to get there (it's 5 hr drive w/o stops) & avoid have to drive the night before & stay in hotel near airport.

                          I booked myself on this 10/5-10/14 itinerary, BUT nice thing about Southwest...no change fees...they give full credit, so if some other schedule would get better participation, I'm game.  So far Steve Linane & Tony William have heard this plan & sounds like they are game for it.  So, Rusty/Annie, & Jake, can you make it work?

                          JBRICK...it's not too late!!...you've earned a play trip!!!

                          Jon

                            Message 13 of 29 , Jun 12, 2013
                              Just booked flights for Annie and I. Same flights as Jon. Looking forward to kiting in Texas! We're both Texas kiting virgins...

                              Rusty Hill
                              208.891.7744

[...]

                                Recent Activity:
                                  Yahoo! Groups
                                  Switch to: Text-Only, Daily DigestUnsubscribe
                                • Jake Dobson

                                      Message 17 of 29 , Jun 13, 2013
                                        I'm in. Jake, I bought the same itinerary that you have. Share car and hotel for sure.

                                        Jason

                                        Message 18 of 29 , Jun 13, 2013
                                          A friend of Jon's is going to meet us in San Antonio, and head down with us.  The more the merrier.

                                          Jake

                                          Sent from my iPhone

                                          On Jun 13, 2013, at 9:55 PM, "jwattboi" <jwattboi@...> wrote:

                                          I'm in. Jake, I bought the same itinerary that you have. Share car and hotel for sure.

                                          Jason

                                          --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, Jake Dobson <jakedobson80@...> wrote:

                                          > Didn't want to wait for the low ticket prices to disappear, so I booked a flight leaving 10/2 @ 3:20pm and coming back 10/9 @ 6:40 from San Antonio. Let me know if anyone want to share a rental car/ hotel.
                                          >
                                          > Jake
                                          >
                                          > Sent from my iPad
                                          >
                                          > On Jun 11, 2013, at 8:40 AM, Jon Bolt <idakiteman@...> wrote:
                                          >
                                          > > Morning wind junkies! It's your friendly travel & entertainment coordinator spreading temptations...
                                          > >
                                          > > Southwest just started a 72 hr fare sale ending June 13 midnight, for travel between Aug 26 & Dec 18.. Anyone wanna go to SPI in late Sept or October?
                                          > > For some reason San Antonio (SAT) doesn't show up in their list of destination cities out of Boise, but I checked and they do have service in September & October. Fares $140 each way are plentiful at the moment.
                                          > > I looked for air routes closer to SPI. Directly to Corpus from Boise, that service ends July 5. Boise to Harlingen...they do have that route but only on one or two days each week, cheapest fare is $302 each way, & plane change/more hassle & time. So round trip to SAT saves $320 vs. Harlingen, which would easily fund share of a rental car & probably most of a condo or house. In years past, on the drive down to SPI we stopped in Corpus to kite Packary Channel.
                                          > >
                                          > > [I also looked at Outerbanks. Can get there outbound leg for $164, but they only have one day each week for a return connection, and cheapest return is $269. Southwest will not have this service from Boise after September 22, and early September still in prime hurricane season so more risk of tropical lows that shut off wind...or too much wind. Also, it takes a lot more travel & drive time to get to OBX vs. SPI...you spend a fully day getting there & returning. Sois preferable.]
                                          > > The gameplan would be fly in/out of SAT, share rental car & nice condo or house. more the participation, the greater the fun, & cheaper the cost too.
                                          > >
                                          > > TIMING: I'm thinking around Oct 1 +/- a couple weeks, so sometime between Sept 15 and Oct. 15, and probably stay for a week or maybe a little more so can negotiate a week rate & get an extra day or two added for free. The earlier before Oct. 1, there are 3 issues: a) more late summer heat & humidity, b) more risk of hurricane/tropical low shutting off wind, c) the Gorge may still be going. As you get closer to November it starts cooling off, wind starts becoming more uncertain and shorties unlikely. So I guess I'm proposing departing sometime between Oct 1 and Oct. 15 the latest.
                                          > > Who's interested in/around that window?

                                        • William Binegar
                                          Message 19 of 29 , Jun 13, 2013
                                            Billy G finally got his priorities straight and is going to Padre with the group.  Same flights as Jon.....
                                            BTW I will have an extra 'golf' bag with wheels as Wendy is not going. See you all on the water soon hopefully.  My summer hours start next week!!  Thanks to Jon, Jake... for getting this started.

                                            Later,  Billy G

                                            Message 20 of 29 , Jun 14, 2013
                                              YO!....BILLY G IN DA HOUSE...

                                              Message 21 of 29 , Jun 14, 2013
                                                OMG...OK w/ jwattboy & other stragglers Jbrick & BillyG, it's now 3 doin' Oct 2-9 and 7 on Oct 5-14....

                                                ...darn well better be windy...

                                                Message 22 of 29 , Jun 14, 2013
                                                  Yeah Jon, you started this so if you don't deliver the wind, you could be the first one voted off the island.

                                                  --- In mailto:snowkiteidaho%40yahoogroups.com, Jake Dobson <jakedobson80@...> wrote: > > Didn't want to wait for the low ticket prices to disappear, so I booked a flight leaving 10/2 @ 3:20pm and coming back 10/9 @ 6:40 from San Antonio. Let me know if anyone want to share a rental car/ hotel. > > Jake > > Sent from my iPad >
                                                  > On Jun 11, 2013, at 8:40 AM, Jon Bolt <idakiteman@...> wrote: > > > Morning wind junkies! It's your friendly travel & entertainment coordinator spreading temptations... > > > > Southwest just started a 72 hr fare sale ending June 13 midnight, for travel between Aug 26 & Dec 18.. Anyone wanna go to SPI in late Sept or October? > > For some reason San Antonio (SAT) doesn't show up in their list of destination cities out of Boise, but I checked and they do have service in September & October. Fares $140 each way are plentiful at the moment. > > I looked for air routes closer to SPI. Directly to Corpus from Boise, that service ends July 5. Boise to Harlingen...they do have that route but only on one or two days each week, cheapest fare is $302 each way, & plane change/more hassle & time. So round trip to SAT saves $320 vs. Harlingen, which would easily fund share of a rental car & probably most of a condo or house. In years past, on the drive down to SPI we stopped in Corpus to kite Packary Channel. > > > > [I also looked at Outerbanks. Can get there outbound leg for $164, but they only have one day each week for a return connection, and cheapest return is $269. Southwest will not have this service from Boise after September 22, and early September still in prime hurricane season so more risk of tropical lows that shut off wind...or too much wind. Also, it takes a lot more travel & drive time to get to OBX vs. SPI...you spend a fully day getting there & returning. Sois preferable.] > > The gameplan would be fly in/out of SAT, share rental car & nice condo or house. more the participation, the greater the fun, & cheaper the cost too. > > > > TIMING: I'm thinking around Oct 1 +/- a couple weeks, so sometime between Sept 15 and Oct. 15, and probably stay for a week or maybe a little more so can negotiate a week rate & get an extra day or two added for free. The earlier before Oct. 1, there are 3 issues: a) more late summer heat & humidity, b) more risk of hurricane/tropical low shutting off wind, c) the Gorge may still be going. As you get closer to November it starts cooling off, wind starts becoming more uncertain and shorties unlikely. So I guess I'm proposing departing sometime between Oct 1 and Oct. 15 the latest. > > Who's interested in/around that window? > > > > >
                                                • RUSTY HILL
                                                  Message 23 of 29 , Jun 14, 2013
                                                    I'm excited that we have so much participation! This will be a great trip. I'm thinking that Annie and I will plan on sharing a car with Garrett and Jackie as I know my wife doesn't really like Jon... Okay maybe not, but it will be nice for her to have another female around. We will for sure be right there with everyone the rest of the time...

                                                    Rusty Hill
                                                    208.891.7744

> [...]

                                                    > On Jun 11, 2013, at 8:40 AM, Jon Bolt <idakiteman@...> wrote: > > > Morning wind junkies! It's your friendly travel & entertainment coordinator spreading temptations... > > > > Southwest just started a 72 hr fare sale ending June 13 midnight, for travel between Aug 26 & Dec 18.. Anyone wanna go to SPI in late Sept or October? > > For some reason San Antonio (SAT) doesn't show up in their list of destination cities out of Boise, but I checked and they do have service in September & October. Fares $140 each way are plentiful at the moment. > > I looked for air routes closer to SPI. Directly to Corpus from Boise, that service ends July 5. Boise to Harlingen...they do have that route but only on one or two days each week, cheapest fare is $302 each way, & plane change/more hassle & time. So round trip to SAT saves $320 vs. Harlingen, which would easily fund share of a rental car & probably most of a condo or house. In years past, on the drive down to SPI we stopped in Corpus to kite Packary Channel. > > > > [I also looked at Outerbanks. Can get there outbound leg for $164, but they only have one day each week for a return connection, and cheapest return is $269. Southwest will not have this service from Boise after September 22, and early September still in prime hurricane season so more risk of tropical lows that shut off wind...or too much wind. Also, it takes a lot more travel & drive time to get to OBX vs. SPI...you spend a fully day getting there & returning. Sois preferable.] > > The gameplan would be fly in/out of SAT, share rental car & nice condo or house. more the participation, the greater the fun, & cheaper the cost too. > > > > TIMING: I'm thinking around Oct 1 +/- a couple weeks, so sometime between Sept 15 and Oct. 15, and probably stay for a week or maybe a little more so can negotiate a week rate & get an extra day or two added for free. The earlier before Oct. 1, there are 3 issues: a) more late summer heat & humidity, b) more risk of hurricane/tropical low shutting off wind, c) the Gorge may still be going. As you get closer to November it starts cooling off, wind starts becoming more uncertain and shorties unlikely. So I guess I'm proposing departing sometime between Oct 1 and Oct. 15 the latest. > > Who's interested in/around that window? > > > > >

                                                  • Brian
                                                    Message 24 of 29 , Jun 15, 2013
                                                      I just booked Susie and I for the same flights as Jon ,Rusty and Annie. I think Garrett and Jackie already booked flights as well. We have a possible conflict but hope that we can resolve it by then. We have been going to SPI every fall since 2001. We absolutely love it and we are stoked to have some friends to share it with. Do you have some thoughts about transportation and lodging?

                                                      Brian Kerr 208-861-7110
                                                      Susie Kerr 208-861-9185

                                                      Message 25 of 29 , Jun 15, 2013
                                                        HI BRIAN !!!   GREAT TO HEAR THE KERR KLAN IS JOINING IN!!

                                                        Did you book the same flights as us, which are in & out of San Antonio?  In earlier message Garrett said you were intending to fly in/out of Brownsville or Harlingen.

                                                        I'll add you & Susie to distribution list for trip related messages.

                                                        Now that I know who all's in the game, I'll work up some proposals for rental cars.  For lodging, I was going to start looking through two sources.  1) the property manager lady we worked a deal with last time we were there.  She did pretty good for us.  2) Looking over VRBO.  If we can't find a big OBX-style umpteen room 5 bath house w/ hot tub, we may have to get a couple of adjacent condos.  We'll see...

                                                        Jon

                                                        Message 26 of 29 , Jul 19, 2013
                                                          Statesman says expect water to drop 1 to 2 feet a day starting on Monday.  I really am dissapointed in the greedy farmers wanting our water (Sarcasm).   I just can't seem to walk to Brickner beach and back and still get in much of a kite before work unless I get there well before the sun rise.
                                                        • robbnukebruce
                                                          Message 27 of 29 , Jul 19, 2013
                                                            Time to get to bed early, dude..;)

                                                            --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, tony williams <tonyswilliams@...> wrote:

                                                            > Statesman says expect water to drop 1 to 2 feet a day starting on Monday.  I really am dissapointed in the greedy farmers wanting our water (Sarcasm).   I just can't seem to walk to Brickner beach and back and still get in much of a kite before work unless I get there well before the sun rise.

                                                          • Jim Tighe
                                                            Message 28 of 29 , Jul 19, 2013

                                                              Great day.lasted well past 9:30.  No smoke.  Blasted out of Barkley bay n back in later.  8 kiters 6 windsurfers.  Way fun.  More tomorrow.

                                                              Message 29 of 29 , Jul 20, 2013
                                                                So are the SPI travel numbers still at 7 for Oct 5-14? With those kind of numbers we could rent a bus. On second thought, with Garrett and Rusty on board lets make it a short bus.