Wind meter

  • RUSTY HILL
    Message 1 of 47 , Jun 5, 2013
      I need to give everyone an update on the weather station… I need to keep it brief as I have a lot of work to do. I've been working 16 hour days and today looks like it will end up being about the same.
      1. Turns out that you get what you pay for. I opted to go for the cheap station assuming they all work the same. Wrong. Waiting for a return authorization to send back the Cheap-o.
      2. Ordered a much higher quality station from a much more reputable company that has been around for decades. Advantages being, replaceable parts (the reason why we had to replace the whole weather station this season) much more accurate data, wind direction and speed calibration, solar powered (to lessen battery usage), etc.
      3. How are we going to afford this you ask? Well, the weather server we purchased is, in fact, just a pocket sized wireless router flashed with open source firmware to allow it to do it's magic. That router is able to be purchased from amazon for $34 dollars. I can do the flashing of the firmware and save us $130. Router should arrive today and still waiting for return authorization for the identical $160 weather server.

      I appoligize for not having the station up and running sooner, but I have been extremely busy. No exaggeration my days have been going from 8am to 12pm, sometimes longer. I'm trying to play catchup before I leave town again Saturday. I may need some help, getting the old station down and packaged up and sent back. Also, I expedited the new station when i ordered it Monday, but they still haven't sent it. UGGGG!!!! I don't want to leave everyone hanging, so I might need some help getting this going. If I get the server set up the station should be pretty much plug-n-play.

      I'll keep you all posted…

      RUSTY HILL
      rustyshill@...

      Message 47 of 47 , Dec 14, 2015
        THANKS GUYS!

        On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 2:47 PM, Jason Brickner <jasonbrickner@...> wrote:

        Sounds good Jim…

        Did you remove the Lithium batteries from the unit to extend their life?

        Let me know if not and I can do that when I get some time.

        Regards,

        -JBrick