Re: [BSA] Weather Station (continued...)

  • Eddy @ Gear Daddy LLC
    Message 1 of 10 , May 20, 2013
    Hi all,

    ACE asked for suggestions on sign relocation so here is what I'd like to suggest. Preference is in the number order. But I don't think #1 will fly.

    Any other thoughts or suggestions or dislikes, please let me know sooner than later as I'd like to get this to ACE ASAP.

    Eddy

    On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 9:12 AM, Jon Bolt <idakiteman@...> wrote:
    I checked w/ CenturyLink. The phone line at Barclay is still not capable of DSL/high speed internet. I suspect ACE offices below the dam have DSL, but getting it up to Barclay likely very costly and probably take a long time to get it in place. So looks like our only options are either cellphone wireless w/ new WX station gear, or fix the present gear and get it running.
    Rusty, we had group discussion of these two options at the Barclay cleanup. There are those who recommend going only for new cell WX & forget about old setup. But there is larger contingent just wanting whatever is fastest to get operating...even if that's repairing the old system while continuing to fund & work on a new cell WX station. I believe consensus was that folks are OK w/ funding repair of old system plus pursuing new setup....if that'd get us best of both worlds: something up fast, plus a lower maintenance more dependable station long term.
    I see in your May 4 sitrep (that's military lingo for "situation report"), you discovered that lower level repair parts (i.e., lowest cost pieces) for the present station are not available, so getting that old gear up would take buying complete new replacement sensors at about $115. Doesn't seem like that amount is problematic. In contrast, new cell based gear was estimated at $269, plus the monthly service subscription and maybe a wireless access point/hotspot. But not sure we've yet determined which, if any, cell provider would be guaranteed to work up there better than our present dialup. There may be risk we buy all the new gear for cell-based station and then find we don't get reliable signal inside the blockhouse...and then we're delayed even more. How do we verify, ASAP and with certainty, dependable cell access up there?
    I think if new setup can be done in about the same time as fixing the present gear, folks would support going for the new. But if it's gonna take much more time to prove out & select a cell provider for new gear, then get it all inplace, many folks prefer the speed & certainty of just repairing present gear.
    This new gear you identified...is it not capable of interfacing to a laptop so we could use it with our present dialup until cell access is proven & up?

    Jon

    Eddy @ Gear Daddy LLC
    208-863-6966
  • Will Hise
    Message 2 of 10 , May 20, 2013

      On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 9:44 AM, Eddy @ Gear Daddy LLC <geardaddyllc@...> wrote:

      208-863-6966

      I like #3 and #4 which look to be between the hut and the bathroom. Seems a good compromise where beach goers still see it at all times, but it's mostly out of our way.

    • Jim Tighe
      Message 3 of 10 , May 20, 2013

        3 & 4 look safest

        Message 4 of 10 , May 20, 2013
          Is there not an option of new weather station hardware that can use the existing dialup? There's not much data from a weather station and it should not require any sort of highspeed connection.

          Is the issue with this that the weather station itself can't interface with a modem and needs some sort of computer?

          What about a device like this: http://www.greatarbor.com/products.html#GAC-152
          which basically acts like a router for LAN with dial-up connection access for WAN. Seems like it can do both always dialed in or automatic demand based dial in. As far as the weather station is concerned it would just look like an access point.

          I can research more if this is interesting.

          --Will

[...]

        • Chris Lee
          Message 5 of 10 , May 20, 2013
            I was late catching up on all the email discussion.  However, I did send a private email to Rusty suggesting we can possibly use an old wireless router to connect the existing computer (with dial-up) to the new weather station if it can only connect via WiFi.

            On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 11:26 AM, Will Hise <will.hise@...> wrote:

[...]

            Best regards,

            Chris Lee

              Message 7 of 10 , May 20, 2013
                You guys are Fantastic! Way to get the cleanup taken care of. I'm sad I wasn't able to make it this year but I'm sure everyone's efforts there at the beach is the reason why ACE is so willing to work with us on such things as the sign and the posts that they chopped last year. Our beach will now be as safe as anywhere... Right? :) Well, still a great improvement.
                I've had pretty limited Internet this last week and a half in Costa Rica and haven't been able to respond as frequently or quickly as I wished. We've been traveling for about 28 hours and still stuck in LAX.... About the weather station:
                Regardless of whether we go to a higher speed connection with a webcam we still need new sensors. I will order those today with last years budget. They will work with our ancient dial up system and laptop for the time being. I was waiting to hear back from Jim Tige about his Internet connection on Sprint as that would dictate if Virgin mobile's prepaid Internet would work for us. I know Jim is super busy, so if there is anyone else who has a Sprint smartphone who can check Internet connectivity and speeds using the Soeedtest.net app. That could help speed up the process.
                To recap the benefits of a higher speed Internet connection:
                1. Ability to have more frequent updates. Rather than every 20min it could be every 1, if we wanted. We all know it can shut off quickly up there and it may be helpful when deciding to go or stay home with more accurate data
                2 ability to add a weather cam to see your pals' smiling faces, water surface and visibility to encourage you to get out of bed and come play.
                3 more reliable connection with less interruptions. The hope is also to have less, ideally none, mornings that Chris or I have to spend fixing the temperamental system rather than enjoying the wind

                That's pretty much it. A new suite of weather sensors is needed regardless... So I'll get those ordered and keep everyone updated.

                Rusty Hill
                208.891.7744

                Message 8 of 10 , May 20, 2013

                  A few thoughts about a cam,

                  1) a lot more bandwidth (read: cost) to send video or stills

                  2) in the morning it will be looking directly into the sunrise so I'm not sure you could see much detail on the water.

                  Message 9 of 10 , May 20, 2013
                    Sensors have been ordered. I called the company who sells everything and the wireless server, that would eliminate the need for a PC, is out of stick right now. That will give us a week or two to sort out Internet options anyway and see what would work best. They also have a 30 day return policy so we can try it out and if it doesn't do everything we hoped and dreamed, we can return it.
                    Will you brought up two points about a cam that are very valid. Depending upon the type of camera and its sensor (CCD vs CMOS) will determine whether or not the direct sunlight would make the picture visible. Data requirements would depend upon what settings we chose. We obviously wouldn't have a live feed at 30fps as that would require more data than is prudent. A picture uploaded every minute or two, depending upon resolution would still put us under our data cap

                    Rusty Hill
                    208.891.7744