Re: [snowkiteidaho] Kailua, HI Kitesurfing

  • kiteglobe
    Message 1 of 5 , May 16, 2013
      "- you can also do downwinder from Kailua to Waimanalo...be sure any car parked at Waimanalo is in public view"

      All sounds spot on except that down winder needs to be switched around- start Waimanalo to Kailua, park at a small BBQ park before the research pier.
      Waimanalo is very local so tread lightly.

      That downwinders is deceiving because you have to go WAY up wind and out to sea to clear/Tak upwind of the moks. This always scare the shit out if me because pearl divers told me the largest tiger sharks they had ever seen were in between the twin islands. (Side note- this is where your legs turn to jelly) There is a local break on that downwinder called "no name" and on flat-2 foot days I have seen it overhead. On 4-6 foot days, I've seen it over 15". The break is before and downwind of Mok closest to Waimanalo.

      I'd find your way to Flat island off Kailua and upwind tak all the way to the moks on high tide. You can get within 3 kite lines of the left Mok and there are 7 or 8 amazing reef breaks. The best being closest to the moks....( long, long, long swim)

      Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone

      Message 2 of 5 , May 16, 2013
        ...it get's confusing at Kailua because two islands off Lanikai are nicknamed "The Mokes", which is short for: the Mokuluas...and as Steve says, a "moke" is a homeboy hawaiian...

        I stand corrected about the Kailua to Waimanalo "downwinder".  Waimanalo is upwind.  But that day I came so close to inviting myself to late lunch at stranger's house in Lanikai, I originally started at Bellows beach next to Waimanalo and tried crossing behind Mokes to get to Kailua.  After near disaster getting stuck @ Lanikai, when wind came up I headed back to Bellows (towards Waimanalo), the angle not too bad for upwind travel...but like kiteglobe says, a downwinder would start @ Waimanalo....

        On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 11:34 AM, steve linane <itile@...> wrote:

        Moke is a term used by residents of the Hawaiian Islands to describe segments of the local Polynesian population. In practice, the word "moke" is similar to "redneck", as it is only used to describe a certain personality type, instead of an entire ethnic group

        To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com