Re: [snowkiteidaho] Verizon coverage at LP

  • Bill Binegar
    Message 1 of 3 , May 5 2:58 PM
      Thanks to all for all the work being done on this weather station. I did contact Verizon and we do have to be careful adding it to someone's account as if we go over the gigabyte usage they will be charged extra. From what I could tell talking to Verizon it's going to cost at least $140 a month for 14 gigs. And one of the other things they did recommend if we do add a camera that you have a timeout on the camera so someone cannot leave it on. Also it would cost $15 each time we turned the account off for three months at a time so if we had it on for six months it would cost us $30 per year to turn it off and turn it back on. I don't understand all the high tech jargon so I may not be the best one to communicate with Verizon. I am also in for whatever you need to get this going.

      Thanks,  Bill

      Sent from my iPhone

      On May 5, 2013, at 3:10 PM, RUSTY HILL <rustyshill@...> wrote:

      That's great, Bruce! Thanks for checking! I think that may be a great option. I am open to all avenues and am glad to see everyone willing to contribute both monetarily as well as with coming up with possible solutions. Right now it looks like both Verizon and Virgin (sprint's prepaid wireless) are our best options. It sounds like we have enough fiscal support for getting the upgraded equipment. Jake has generously pledged his WiFI hotspot to use if we go the Verizon. Is there someone who currently has Verizon who'd be willing to add the service to their existing plan? Typically it's less expensive to add service onto an existing account than it is to have a stand alone account. Also, I can't seem to confirm where someone said that you could get service for $20 through Verizon. If someone could check on plan costs and report back that would be great!

      One last thing. I agree, a webcam would be amazing. A fixed webcam that doesn't zoom is pretty easy to set up and fairly inexpensive. Right around ~$100 if I remember correctly. I don't know where to find a zoomable and controllable camera nor do I know the cost for such a camera. I also, don't know how much extra data this would require and if it would increase the about we'd need to pay for each month. Mike Z. could you do some research and maybe call the people who maintain the camera you're talking about? I'm curious if that would be in our budget or not.

      Thank you everyone for your feedback and help. I really appreciate everyone contributing by pledging money, and don't forget these emails automatically get saved so we can go back and re-read them and hold you to your pledge!!! :-) Also, thank you to everyone for making trips and phone calls to help this project progress! You guys are awesome!
      RUSTY HILL
      rustyshill@...

      On May 5, 2013, at 1:19 PM, robbnukebruce <robbnukebruce@...> wrote:

      Went up this AM early for a bike ride. Yes, it was blowing decent, and yes, it was cold. Still can't launch from Barclay's, yet. Jason's right; there's a bunch of new sand lumped up.
      Tested Verizon upload and download speed. Best I got was standing level with the Host campsite, 3.5 Meg upload and 18 Meg download. Worst was .5 Meg upload in the usual parking lot.

      And who knew there's an entire disc golf course set up in the sagebrush, up the canyon path.
      Bruce