Re: [snowkiteidaho] [BSA] New Weather station

  • Jason Watt
    Message 1 of 30 , May 4, 2013
      What about maybe a cheap cracked screen iPad with Verizon off eBay?  Non contract data $20/month for 1GB.

      On May 4, 2013, at 17:37, RUSTY HILL <rustyshill@...> wrote:

      As of right now, Verizion wouldn't be the best bet as they require a contract and are much more expensive. That would require us to pay for service on months we have no need for the weather station. That's why we're trying to find someone who has a Sprint smartphone so we could sign up for a month to month service through Virgin, who uses Sprint's network.

      RUSTY HILL
      rustyshill@...

      On May 4, 2013, at 5:16 PM, jwattboi <jwattboi@...> wrote:

      Count me in for a contribution in funds. I've got an iPad with the Verizon 4G chip in it, I can run Speedtest.net on Verizon up there if you want. Let me know and I'll bring it next time.

    • RUSTY HILL

        Message 3 of 30 , May 4, 2013
          I like the way you're thinking… Lets explore all the options so we can see what will work best long term.
          RUSTY HILL
          rustyshill@...

          On May 4, 2013, at 6:23 PM, Jason Watt <jwattboi@...> wrote:

          Might be cost prohibitive.  2-300 cracked screen, otherwise 400+ for non broken units.

          Not sure if the hotspot will stay activated when only used periodically.  I can donate mine for a week or so to test.

          Message 4 of 30 , May 4, 2013
            I drove by last Friday and it looks like they hauled in mountains of sand and dumped it in the trouble areas and down near serpentina. If we can move that sign, the beach will be nice. The sand still needs to be leveled. It's kind of in mounds right now.

            Regards,
            -Jason Brickner
            Olympus Controls
            (208)-475-4670

            Please excuse any spelling or grammatical errors. Sent from my phone.

          • Jim Tighe
            Message 5 of 30 , May 4, 2013

              In, whatever it takes to make the fun happen

              Jim Tighe  GSGA & Tighe Gym Sales

            • Jim shultz

                Message 7 of 30 , May 5, 2013
                  I'm in for $20-50, and do have a wireless hotspot I don't use, but it is Verizon.

                  Jake

                  Sent from my iPad

[...]

                • michael zolin
                  Message 8 of 30 , May 5, 2013
                    I am in for 20-50.  I called Verizon,  you can put the service on hold for up to 3 months twice a year.
                    Some companies offer internet signal boosters.  If sprint was the best choice but not quite enough reception they may give us a free booster?
                    Satellite internet is another option.
                    If possible (cost, data usage and reliability ) I would like to propose a camera like the slingshot kite cam in hood river.  You can control the camera for a minute or two at a time from your computer (pan left, right, up, down and  very impressive zoom).

                    Mike Z

                    Message 9 of 30 , May 5, 2013
                      I'm in as well, split it up and let me know how much!
                      Westy

                      To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 30 , May 5, 2013
                        Oh, and Mike… could you try to find out the data draw that such a camera would use?
                        RUSTY HILL
                        rustyshill@...

                        To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 30 , May 6, 2013
                          I'll contribute with my share to get the new station up