new member here -- got some questions

  • travisrblair
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 20, 2005
      Ive seen some footage of amazing things being done with kites. I
      have always loved my little stunt kite, and always loved ski sports and
      i am absolutely excited about the possibilities when combining the
      two. I want to buy a kite next Fall so i have plenty of time to learn
      which kite would suit me best. I have tons of questions and i
      appreciate any helpful feedback from anybody who loves the sport.
      I guess i need info about kite area verses rider's weight. Also i
      wolud like to know what brands are favorites, different styles, and can
      one kite do it all? (All) meaning ice, snow, lake and surf uphill and
      down.
      I am stoked about this sport, please feel free to share adventure
      stories too.

      travis
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 20, 2005
        Travis,

        Feel free to give me a call and demo any of the kites I sell.  I've been pushing the sport locally for 5+ years and have plenty advice if you want to hear it. I teach snowkiting, kitesurfing, mountainboards and kites, and paragliding (just a bigger kite that can get you UP there).

        Eddy
        Gear Daddy, LLC

        Eddy Petranek
        3256 E. Red Stone Dr.
        Boise, ID 83712
        geardaddy@...
        (208) 863-6966

        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 21, 2005
          Hey Travis good to have another flyer interested.  There aint nothin better than snow kiting!

          Most of us are flying Ozone Frenzys.  Mostly because they rock.  They are primarily for use on snow, but you can us them on the water too, but you better be good.  Since they are a ram air parafoil, if they hit the water, you're done.  That aside, they are easy to set up, and easy to learn.  The depower system gives them the ability to work well in a wide range of wind speeds, and they have plenty of juice for big air.  I weigh just under 200lbs and have a 10m and a 14m.  The 14 is great for 8-20mph, and the 10 is good 18-30mph.  Most of our days here are in the 10-20mph range.  I used to have a 12m, which was good 8-20+.  For one kite it had a huge range, only the hairy high wind days were out of the question.

          Most of these guys have switched over to water for the summer.  I'm still holding out and am trying to coordinate a trip to MT/WY to kiteski the Beartooth highway.  If I can't make the MT thing work over Memorial day weekend we will head to the Alvord Desert, OR for some kite buggying and mountain boarding.  It's usually a lot of fun, and we have spare kites and buggies if you want to check it out.
          Expected camp coordinates:
              N42.49892 W118.52976,
              or give me a call 208 484-6766

          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 27, 2005

            Going Kitesurfing tomorrow afternoon at CJ Strike wind is supposed to be NW 10-20 with gust to 35.
            [Eddy Petranek] 863-6966
          • Bolt, Jon
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 27, 2005
              Message
              ...part about 'gusts to 35' doesn't sound good.  I'll have to pass.  Let us know water temps & how it goes.

              have fun.

              Jon
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 30, 2005
                -Say did anyone go Thur. or did it even get windy . I was working in
                Sunvalley all week . I have a special interest the 28th is my
                Birthday and last year it was very windy on the 28th and I had a
                grate time at Lake lowl .
                steve

                -- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, "Bolt, Jon" <jon.bolt@h...>
                wrote:
                > ...part about 'gusts to 35' doesn't sound good. I'll have to
                pass. Let
                > us know water temps & how it goes.
                >
                > have fun.
                >
                > Jon

                subject=Unsubscribe>

                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 30, 2005
                  Happy Birthday Steve

                  No wind at CJ on Thursday.

                  wrote:
                  > ...part about 'gusts to 35' doesn't sound good.  I'll have to
                  pass.  Let
                  > us know water temps & how it goes.

                  > have fun.

                  > Jon

                  subject=Unsubscribe>

                  Message 8 of 17 , May 2, 2005
                    Message
                    Hey Steve-O......Happy Birthday, hombre!!!

                    I see this morning (Monday) that the Lucky Peak SE/E flow is happening, and it was probably a good mornin' up there if you can stand 39-42 deg. air temp.  Anybody go up?....how's the water?

                    Jon

                    Message 9 of 17 , May 8, 2005

                      Headed to CJ Strike this afternoon. If it is not windy enough to kitesurf then I will be paragliding.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 12 8:27 AM
                        Hi all,

                        Looks like we might have strong flow tomorrow afternoon. Plan on heading to CJ around 2-3.

                        Jon and I took advantage of some great winds this morning and yesterday at LP.  Wish more would join in on the fun. It's just not fair for us to have this much fun alone.

                        Eddy
                      • Bolt, Jon
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 12 12:50 PM
                          Tom C. was up there Monday, too...getting a late start...but there's plenty of room for more...missed you today, Tom.

                          Today was TERRIFIC !!  When I left at 9:15am, it was going as good as when I launched at 6:15.  Jay...get out your boat....Jason, get those new kites & head for the upwind cove....Russ Hadley...bring your PWC.  Eddy & I & Tom are leaving too much fun on the table...shame to see it go to unused.

                          Jon

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 12 7:27 PM
                            The boat is getting fixed - This former Arizonite didn't winterize it
                            properly. and i gotta work wednesday - you guys have fun - and if
                            anyone has a boat they can take to l.p., let me know. I'll go.

                            I also heard there may be wind saturday. that would work for me.

                            ----and maybe it was poison ivy - I don't know, but it didn't look
                            like poison ivy.

                            wrote:
                            > Tom C. was up there Monday, too...getting a late start...but there's
                            > plenty of room for more...missed you today, Tom.
                            >
                            > Today was TERRIFIC !! When I left at 9:15am, it was going as good
                            as
                            > when I launched at 6:15. Jay...get out your boat....Jason, get
                            those
                            > new kites & head for the upwind cove....Russ Hadley...bring your
                            PWC.
                            > Eddy & I & Tom are leaving too much fun on the table...shame to see
                            it
                            > go to unused.
                            >
                            > Jon
                            >

                            > ________________________________

                            t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Outdoors&w2=Recreation&

                            w3=Idaho&w4=Sports&w5=Alaska+outdoors&w6=Great+outdoors&c=6&s=94&.sig=
                            bY
                            > 3rlevqEyLSM2cuxH1E8w> Recreation
                            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                            t=ms&k=Recreation&w1=Outdoors&w2=Recreatio

                            n&w3=Idaho&w4=Sports&w5=Alaska+outdoors&w6=Great+outdoors&c=6&s=94&.si
                            g=
                            > v-EgzgoxJfpYmO5bGPzTiQ> Idaho
                            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                            t=ms&k=Idaho&w1=Outdoors&w2=Recreation&w3=

                            Idaho&w4=Sports&w5=Alaska+outdoors&w6=Great+outdoors&c=6&s=94&.sig=1oi
                            aJ
                            > vBnNsM87826hZXC9A>
                            > Sports
                            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                            t=ms&k=Sports&w1=Outdoors&w2=Recreation&w3

                            =Idaho&w4=Sports&w5=Alaska+outdoors&w6=Great+outdoors&c=6&s=94&.sig=fY
                            6n
                            > CBq3GZ0Ogljhg72POw> Alaska outdoors
                            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                            t=ms&k=Alaska+outdoors&w1=Outdoors&w2=Recr

                            eation&w3=Idaho&w4=Sports&w5=Alaska+outdoors&w6=Great+outdoors&c=6&s=9
                            4&
                            > .sig=EFzj4SnaN9CN7NWZKNJehw> Great outdoors
                            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                            t=ms&k=Great+outdoors&w1=Outdoors&w2=Recre

                            ation&w3=Idaho&w4=Sports&w5=Alaska+outdoors&w6=Great+outdoors&c=6&s=94
                            &.
                            > sig=SmbOj_IgDhQbnR4aBTIyZw>

                            subject=Unsubscribe>

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 13 5:31 AM
                              Wind Saturday???? Who is bold enough to predict wind that far out?

                              Although it would be cyclical since we had wind the last 2 Saturdays. IF it Blows I'll see you there.

                              Does anybody in the group have my Boost Video? I don't recall who borrowed it last.

                              Eddy

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 23 3:32 PM

                                 Lucky Peak should be on tomorrow morning, I'll be there by 7am.

                                Looks like possible strong wind Monday afternoon so heads up for CJ or pump house trip. Let me know if your interested.

                                Eddy

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 26 8:23 AM

                                  Hey guys,

                                  Just thought I'd post this for my buddy Jeff in Texas.  He is taking advantage of a huge discount on Airush 2005 kites. like 45% off.

                                  If we order as group we can save even more.

                                  Eddy
                                  863-6966
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 23, 2005

                                    Hey guys sorry to Spam the group with items for sale...

                                    I have a great beginner/intermediate light-wind board for sale. It is a 170cm Airush Switch (twin tip) that rides more like a 150cm when powered up but still keeps you planning in the light stuff. I'm asking $200 for it. It is in very good condition because of its excellent construction. This board goes upwind nicely and will help you figure out the sport quickly. I will gladly offer lessons to anyone interested in it. If you are in the market for kites I can also get "New" Airush and Cabrinha kites for 50% off.

                                    Eddy 863-6966

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Aug 23, 2005
                                      Looks like CJ or the pump house might work tomorrow.