RE: [snowkiteidaho] Re: [BSA] New Weather station

    Message 1 of 30 , May 4, 2013
      I have Sprint the least reliable service there is and I get good connective in the parking lot always have .
      come to think of it my cell work clear down by the dock where we pump up

      To: rustyshill@...
      CC: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com; BoiseSailors@...
      From: idakiteman@...
      Date: Sat, 4 May 2013 13:14:47 -0600
      Subject: [snowkiteidaho] Re: [BSA] New Weather station

      I'm sure everyone's willing to help w/ funding, as in the past...especially now that the BLM LP Nursery meter is gone.  Seems at this point, first thing to figure out is what are the options for dependable data/internet telecom (beyond the problematic voice landline we have now).  So, what Rusty could use most right now is feedback from people that have different types of cellphone internet service (major carriers, Cricket, even Net10...any type):  what service do you use and what's your experience w/ internet connection dependability up there?

      Chris Lee, Rusty, Eddy...if any of you have the phone# of present landline connection, get that to me & I'll call CenturyLink to explore feasibility of upgrading to DSL.  I think in past there may have been some physical limitations, but I'll check again.

      Those of you that've used different cell-internet services up there, let's hear from you!!  What's your service & has it been solidly dependable up there?

      On Sat, May 4, 2013 at 11:01 AM, RUSTY HILL <rustyshill@...> wrote:
      So after dissecting the weather station's anemometer today looking for a model number I discovered that replacement parts are not sold for our trusty but currently broken weather station. (one of the anemometer scoops have been broken off due to weathering and possibly a bird landing on it… who knows) I've spent several hours searching for the best solution. Here are my findings:

      Most ideal (but most costly) situation would be to invest in a completely wireless kit that includes new wireless sensors (wind direction, wind speed, temp, barometric pressure and humidity) as well as a server that uploads all the information IN REAL TIME WITHOUT A PC (the main cause of the frustrations and problems with our current weather station)  It would also allow us to install a weather cam, at a later time, that uploads snapshots at a given interval. I don't know about you, but actually seeing your fellow wind-junkies on the water when you're debating wether or not to get out of bed would be huge in maximizing every epic wind day at LP. Or on the other hand, it could help avoid a lonely solo session or worse, getting skunked. Now for the downside… you need a post 1990 internet connection. i.e. dialup won't hack it. So we'd have to subscribe to a wireless internet plan like verizon or AT&T as well as purchase a wifi hotspot to make it work. If any of you have a wireless hotspot from one of those carriers and would like to donate it or at least let us borrow it to see if the connection is strong enough to make this plan possible, that would be a great help. Last year I tried a Clear modem up there without any success. Another possible solution would be to solicit local businesses like waterski proshop or Cabela's to sponsor the internet connection and lovingly name the station after them. (if anyone has connections or strings they can pull, please speak up)  With internet connections aside the weather station and server would come to - $269. With our surplus from last year and interest earned in my high yield checking account at %0.0003 we have about $110 left from last years donations. Which would put us short about $170 with shipping. If we have the same amount of contributions as last year it would almost cover the upgrade. If we wanted to go ahead with this option we'd need everyone to dig a little deeper and help fund a more reliable wind tracker.  Again if we could solve the internet problem this would be the best for everyone who relies on this station, but especially those of us like Chris Lee who has been an absolute saint in dedicating hours and hours to maintaining the station.

      The other option is business as usual… buy new sensors, replacing the broken and aged equipment and try to keep everything running during the summer. Cost for new sensors would be around $115. Which is just about what we have left over from last year.

      I realize I put a little more work into "selling" the first idea, but in reality I think it would be a much better long term solution. The main hurdle is the internet connection as DSL nor cable is not available. I mostly wanted to get some feedback and see if anyone can help find out who's data service works up there. I don't imagine the quantity of data will be very substantial but having a good connection would be important if we're trying to improve reliability. Also, if anyone has suggestions for potential solutions to paying for or procuring an inexpensive internet connection….
      Let the dialog commence…

      RUSTY HILL
      rustyshill@...

    • RUSTY HILL
      Message 2 of 30 , May 4, 2013
        If that is the case, Steve, then Virgin Mobile, who's owned by Sprint should work up there. An option would be to use a prepaid mobile hotspot from them at around 35 dollars a month. Right now we pay 10 a month for dial up. With the amount that everyone has regularly donated in the past as well as additional donations this year we should be able to make that work. I'll check on some Virgin Mobile details and report back.
        RUSTY HILL
        rustyshill@...

        To: rustyshill@...
        CC: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com; BoiseSailors@...

        Message 3 of 30 , May 4, 2013
          So Virgin Mobile could be a good solution. $35 a month, no contract so we could start and stop service when needed. Before we purchase all the new equipment it may be prudent to see if the internet would work up there and have a good connection. The mobile hotspot (which receives the wireless data from the cell towers) is $99.  I can buy it here locally and take it up there to see if it works and how well. If it doesn't I can return it without any problems. BUT, you have to pay for a month of service that is non refundable. A better option would be if any of you currently have a Sprint smartphone  and can go up to the dam, download the Speedtest.net app and check the internet speed and connection. We could eliminate spending $35 on a month of data that way, if it doesn't end up working. I'd like to hear from everyone and make sure we have enough support financially to commit to this group investment.

          New wireless sensors $115
          Weather station server $155
          Mobile HotSpot $99
          Monthly connection $35 for approx 6 moths ($210)

          Total $579-(last year's surplus $110) =  469

          469/ 20 sailors = 23.45

          Does that sound reasonable? Maybe have everyone contribute $25 bucks? If everything goes as planned the next years we'll only need the $210 (or ~$10 per sailor) for data service and new sensors every few years.

          What are everyone's thoughts?

          To: rustyshill@...
          CC: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com; BoiseSailors@...

          Message 4 of 30 , May 4, 2013
            T-Mobile has no signal up there every and all times I've tried.

            If someone comes up with a sponsor willing to pick up the cost of
            a wireless deal, woot. But until then the cost of that approach has
            to be assumed to include monthly connect charges. I'm not much for
            cell plans, but wouldn't you have to be paying year 'round, rather
            than just 4 or 6 mo/year?

            TvA
            Message 5 of 30 , May 4, 2013
              Rusty, count me in for $25 or proportionate share...

              Also, does anyone remember the officership succession for this year?  Who is President & VP?

              Jon

              To: rustyshill@...
              CC: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com; BoiseSailors@...

              Message 6 of 30 , May 4, 2013
                Eddy...when talking to ACE, don't forget to request more pea gravel.  we need some badly...several yards (truckload?)...or however much was supplied when they initially installed it.

                On Sat, May 4, 2013 at 12:34 PM, Gear Daddy LLC <geardaddyllc@...> wrote:
                I'm in for $20 but will do $50 to make it happen. And of course still help out as needed.

                Also.  I put a call (left message) into ACE Thursday about a clean up party and sign relocation. Target may 19 fund collection day???

                Will and I are paragliding in SLC. Will is going to get the thrill of a lifetime going tandem with a great pilot. Forecast is go High and go far. Yesterday I flew to 10,000ft froze ass off, then ran for 13 miles cross country. Here we go again.image.jpegthats the hill we flew yesterday and again about an hour.

                Eddy

                Message 7 of 30 , May 4, 2013
                  If we were able to make a virgin Mobile hotspot work for the internet source… then no, we wouldn't need to pay for it year round. It requires no contract and you just pay for the months you use…

                  RUSTY HILL
                  rustyshill@...

                  On May 4, 2013, at 4:01 PM, Tom von Alten <tva@...> wrote:

                  T-Mobile has no signal up there every and all times I've tried.

                  If someone comes up with a sponsor willing to pick up the cost of
                  a wireless deal, woot. But until then the cost of that approach has
                  to be assumed to include monthly connect charges. I'm not much for
                  cell plans, but wouldn't you have to be paying year 'round, rather
                  than just 4 or 6 mo/year?

                  TvA

                • Jack Harrison
                  Message 8 of 30 , May 4, 2013
                    Rusty. I have a verizon hotspot. Cost is $60 per month for 5 gigs.  I can loan it to you or take it up there to try.  But costs seem much higher

                     Any idea on data limit on Sprint?  Also, any idea on data usage?

                    Also, I know that there are cheaper plans available for some organizations. I can check on Monday

                    Jack Harrison

                    Message 9 of 30 , May 4, 2013
                      I'm good for $20-$50 too.

                      Regards,
                      -Jason Brickner
                      Olympus Controls
                      (208)-475-4670

                      Please excuse any spelling or grammatical errors. Sent from my phone.

                      Message 10 of 30 , May 4, 2013
                        I have AT&T and its not good except for one spot on the dam.

                        Regards,
                        -Jason Brickner
                        Olympus Controls
                        (208)-475-4670

[...]

                      • Greg
                        Message 11 of 30 , May 4, 2013
                          I have AT&T ( yeah I know ha ha) and only get a couple of bars if in the right spot. Don't think it a weinner. Put me down for a share, like big Jim says it cheap fun. Although I have driven up there many times without checking the eddy meter knowing before you go adds a lot of value to the all too short season. Thank you all for your hard work!

                          Sent from my iPhone

                          To: rustyshill@...
                          CC: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com; BoiseSailors@...
                          From: idakiteman@...
                          Date: Sat, 4 May 2013 13:14:47 -0600

[...]

                          Recent Activity:
                            MARKETPLACE
                          • jwattboi
                            Message 12 of 30 , May 4, 2013
                              Count me in for a contribution in funds. I've got an iPad with the Verizon 4G chip in it, I can run Speedtest.net on Verizon up there if you want. Let me know and I'll bring it next time.
                            • RUSTY HILL
                              Message 13 of 30 , May 4, 2013
                                As of right now, Verizion wouldn't be the best bet as they require a contract and are much more expensive. That would require us to pay for service on months we have no need for the weather station. That's why we're trying to find someone who has a Sprint smartphone so we could sign up for a month to month service through Virgin, who uses Sprint's network.
                                RUSTY HILL
                                rustyshill@...

                                On May 4, 2013, at 5:16 PM, jwattboi <jwattboi@...> wrote:

                                Count me in for a contribution in funds. I've got an iPad with the Verizon 4G chip in it, I can run Speedtest.net on Verizon up there if you want. Let me know and I'll bring it next time.

                              • Jason Watt

                                    Message 16 of 30 , May 4, 2013
                                      I like the way you're thinking… Lets explore all the options so we can see what will work best long term.
                                      RUSTY HILL
                                      rustyshill@...

                                      On May 4, 2013, at 6:23 PM, Jason Watt <jwattboi@...> wrote:

                                      Might be cost prohibitive.  2-300 cracked screen, otherwise 400+ for non broken units.

                                      Not sure if the hotspot will stay activated when only used periodically.  I can donate mine for a week or so to test.

                                      Message 17 of 30 , May 4, 2013
                                        I drove by last Friday and it looks like they hauled in mountains of sand and dumped it in the trouble areas and down near serpentina. If we can move that sign, the beach will be nice. The sand still needs to be leveled. It's kind of in mounds right now.

                                        On May 4, 2013, at 4:06 PM, "Jon Bolt" <idakiteman@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                        >> hours and hours to maintaining the station.
                                        >>
                                        >> The other option is business as usual… buy new sensors, replacing the
                                        >> broken and aged equipment and try to keep everything running during the
                                        >> summer. Cost for new sensors would be around $115. Which is just about what
                                        >> we have left over from last year.
                                        >>
                                        >> I realize I put a little more work into "selling" the first idea, but in
                                        >> reality I think it would be a much better long term solution. The main
                                        >> hurdle is the internet connection as DSL nor cable is not available. I
                                        >> mostly wanted to get some feedback and see if anyone can help find out
                                        >> who's data service works up there. I don't imagine the quantity of data
                                        >> will be very substantial but having a good connection would be important if
                                        >> we're trying to improve reliability. Also, if anyone has suggestions for
                                        >> potential solutions to paying for or procuring an inexpensive internet

                                      • Jim Tighe
                                        Message 18 of 30 , May 4, 2013

                                          In, whatever it takes to make the fun happen

                                          Jim Tighe  GSGA & Tighe Gym Sales

                                        • Jim shultz

                                            Message 20 of 30 , May 5, 2013
                                              I'm in for $20-50, and do have a wireless hotspot I don't use, but it is Verizon.

                                              Jake

                                              Sent from my iPad

[...]

                                            • michael zolin
                                              Message 21 of 30 , May 5, 2013
                                                I am in for 20-50.  I called Verizon,  you can put the service on hold for up to 3 months twice a year.
                                                Some companies offer internet signal boosters.  If sprint was the best choice but not quite enough reception they may give us a free booster?
                                                Satellite internet is another option.
                                                If possible (cost, data usage and reliability ) I would like to propose a camera like the slingshot kite cam in hood river.  You can control the camera for a minute or two at a time from your computer (pan left, right, up, down and  very impressive zoom).

                                                Mike Z

                                                Message 22 of 30 , May 5, 2013
                                                  I'm in as well, split it up and let me know how much!
                                                  Westy

                                                  To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com

                                                  Message 23 of 30 , May 5, 2013
                                                    Oh, and Mike… could you try to find out the data draw that such a camera would use?
                                                    RUSTY HILL
                                                    rustyshill@...

                                                    To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com

                                                    Message 24 of 30 , May 6, 2013
                                                      I'll contribute with my share to get the new station up