Re: [snowkiteidaho] Re: Baja log...

    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 15, 2013
      /rant/on

      Joel, et al, after a pretty frightening ordeal (in a foreign country with Napoleonic law, lacking any protections) inflicted by a disgruntled business owner  in collusion w/ Federal Police trumping up charges unsupported by ANY law (Mexican or otherwise) and claiming onset of extreme penalites....it was pretty disappointing to see those who might be expected to be supportive friends respond to the effect the treatment may have been deserved because of trying to "go cheap" or it was cheating hard working, fair dealing Mexican citizens, or was perhaps illegal.  That sort of shallow self-gratifying sniping from the comfort of your Lazy-Boy recliners at home in the US...that was more than disappointing...and reflected pretty sadly on those offering IMO.

      Joel, our sports, especially kiting, are built on mutual friendships and constant mutual assistance & help which everyone needs.  We try to like each other and help each other out.   If you're considering engaging in our sport, as your enrollment in 'snowkiteidaho' would suggest, you'll need that help.  But your initial appearance in print has sorta soiled the nest you may sometime want to occupy, and you may have some cleanup to do to earn some support.   If on the other hand, you enrolled in the group only a few days ago  just to preach and harass, and don't expect to be playing among us, you have nothing to worry about, and many of us may be relieved.

      /rant/off

      Joel, Thanks for apology.  Accepted.

      Sweet 9.5m yesterday smooth & warm.  Same again today looks possible.  Gavin joining us for Downwinder.

      Last night my buddy & I were volunteer workers (and donaters) at big fundraiser dinner & music w/ all proceeds for surviving families of  the two local panganeros that died on an outing to the Pacific.  Big success and much generosity, but a heart wrenching tragedy nonetheless.  Glad we could do something small to help others undergoing a terrible ordeal.

      As the Dos XX's guy says..."Stay warm my friends"...or is that thirsty?.

      Jon

      On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 8:20 AM, ruddercraft <sailboats@...> wrote:

      Jon,
      Actually my central point was that your vindictive attitude toward the shuttle service operators, whom you felt charged too much, was misplaced or at least mis-directed, when you said that:

      "I'm gonna write a "head's up" in the local bulletin board system alerting gringos of these predatory tactics by shuttle operators trying to obstruct gringo ride sharing, which will dent their business for sure."

      I was trying to say that to them, it appears you are illegally competing.
      Your examples of hotel room sharing, grocery sharing etc. are all valid points, but again, I doubt the Mexicans view those activities as competition.
      As far as who I am and where I am, I am a Boise business owner (currently sailing in Lake Havasu) and I belong to this list because I sail in Boise.
      I replied to your original post on this subject because I like Mexico and especially the people and places on Baja.

      I'm not a lurking Baja shuttle service owner with ulterior motives.

      In hindsight I could have worded my original post to be less inflammatory, easily, and I can tell from your other posts on this subject that I frustrated you, so you have my apologies, sincerely.

      Going sailing now,
      -Joel

      --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, Jon Bolt wrote:
      >Thanks for opinion Joel. The central point you made was: "You don't have the right, as a foreign national, to run a business in Mexico, which, the way they see it, is what you are doing."
      > Jon Bolt wrote:
      "I'll reserve a more complete response for when I'm outside Mexico, as clearly your preoccupation to find & respond to my simple, innocent blog post in the tiny group 'snowkiteidaho' raises many questions about who and where you are, and other motives you may have."
      > Jon Bolt wrote:
      "So I got good experience dealing w/ Federales...and the militant tactics of local shuttle operators trying to prevent gringos from sharing rides to the airports. I'm gonna write a "head's up" in the local bulletin board system alerting gringos of these predatory tactics by shuttle operators trying to obstruct gringo ride sharing, which will dent their business for sure."

      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 15, 2013
        I'll be gone 2 weeks the 20th to the 5th , traveling with Mike Z and friends . we will spend a week on Ceye Caulker and one on San Pedro http://cayecaulkerweather.com/caye-caulker-weather-camera-weather-web-cam/
         air far round trip $720 , and $560 for logging  , here is a link to Kitexploer , they will be taking us to some very cool spots by boat . http://www.ikiteboarding.com/schools/374/belize/caye-caulker/kitexplorer.aspx
        I got the Gopro , so I will try to send some stoke
        Steve

        To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
        From: rustyshill@...
        Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 23:29:37 -0700
        Subject: Re: [snowkiteidaho] Baja log...

        Oops… started typing on my phone and got sidetracked and accidentally sent that message. Anyway, I was going to ask the same think as Jason. You should send us some pics of you kite beaches in Belize. I'm hoping it's as magical as I imagine!

        RUSTY HILL
        rustyshill@...

        On Feb 14, 2013, at 11:02 PM, RUSTY HILL <rustyshill@...> wrote:

        Steve! You lucky dog! How long are you staying? I'm counting down the days till Hawaii but I have

        Rusty Hill
        208.891.7744

        On Feb 14, 2013, at 7:04 PM, steve linane <itile@...> wrote:

        Jason
        I with you and Rusty , And ya I'm getting a jump on summer , headed to Belize next week
        Steve

        To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
        CC: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
        From: jasonbrickner@...
        Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 17:21:25 -0800
        Subject: Re: [snowkiteidaho] Re: Baja log...

        Ok guys.  This is getting absurd. Common sense and intent should prevail. Lets get back to the kiting action. I drove through hood river today. Nice wind, sunny, warm?

        Who's excited for summer?

        Regards,
        -Jason Brickner
        Olympus Controls
        (208)-475-4670

        On Feb 14, 2013, at 8:47 AM, "Gear Daddy LLC" <geardaddyllc@...> wrote:

        OMG I guess I screwed up.

        Sorry everyone!

        Eddy

        On Feb 14, 2013, at 9:41 AM, Jon Bolt <idakiteman@...> wrote:

        1. Eddy...a head's up to avoid problems on next trip to Mexico...

        Year or two ago when you came to Los Barriles, didn't you share a rental home/lodging with another couple?  No doubt only one of you made the reservation and thereby became responsible to pay.  Did that payer receive reimbursement from the other couple for a share of the lodging?  Did money or equivalent change hands?  Given your appreciation of Joel's input, it probably shines a new light on the unfavorable impact of that sharing on Mexican business operators trying to make a living & feed their families, as well as the potential illegal nature of that activity. There are many Mexican landlords who run lodging businesses, rent homes, RV parking, etc.  In your instance of house sharing to minimize costs, two houses could have been rented instead of one, and the unrented house could've easily been owned by a Mexican citizen depriving an honest Mexican of fair revenue to feed his family.  If money or equivalent changed hands to achieve that sharing, that was, according to Joel, illegal.  Aside from that, any Mexican landlord who learned of your sharing and didn't like it could enlist the police to arrest you for running an illegal lodging business...and the burden of proof to contrary is totally on you.

        Now that Joel's perspective, and my incident, have given you new found sensitivity to the plight of honest, hardworking Mexican citizens, the damaging impacts to their families, and potentially illegal nature...all from sharing housing costs, I'm sure you won't resort to that means again for going "cheap" in Mexico.  Pretty inconsiderate and unfair to the locals, and could be illegal, right?

        On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 5:00 AM, Gear Daddy LLC <geardaddyllc@...> wrote:

        Wait, I appreciate Joel's input.  I never gave it 2 cents thought but he's 100% right. We go to Mexico to take advantage of the "Cheap" but never think twice of what our actions may result in.  First time I was there I rode shuttle, first thought was that yeah it was expensive. But after all the guy did for us (I won't go into detail) it ended up worth every penny and I never thought about the guys profit margin.  He probably put $50 in his pocket for 8 hrs of work.

        Thanks for the words of advice Joel...

        Eddy

        On Feb 12, 2013, at 1:04 AM, RUSTY HILL wrote:

        Wow, never met you, Joel, but it may have been better to send your angry email directly to whom you're angry with. The rest of us like to "keep it clean" and avoid fighting on these email groups. Thanks

        Rusty Hill

        On Feb 12, 2013, at 12:46 AM, "ruddercraft" <sailboats@...> wrote:

        Idakiteman,
        I'm not sure you understand, but the Mexican law prohibits gringos from buying goods and services from other gringos who don't have an FM3 visa and a business in Mexico.
        There was no threat of the "little bite" from the Federales, because you were legitimately breaking the law. They had the power to detain and/or arrest you for breaking the law in Mexico because you were charging the other guys riding with you for the fuel, convenience, or whatever.
        You don't have the right, as a foreign national, to run a business in Mexico, which, the way they see it, is what you are doing.

        I'm sure you expect foreign nationals visiting the US to abide by our laws, you should try to do the same while in Mexico. The shuttle operators who "charge a lot more $" are running businesses and feeding their families, they are not your ride share competition. If they complain to the local authorities about it being unfair and illegal that you are charging riders, they're right, they are not being predatory, as you suggest.
        Mexico is a cheap place to enjoy their natural resources of fun, sun, wind, surf and reef like Cabo Pulmo, and for you to complain about them trying to enforce their laws set up to protect their little businesses is ridiculous. That kind of attitude makes it hard on the rest of us gringos who follow the Mexican rules while in Mexico, because we know we're in their country.
        If you don't want to use their shuttle service, don't. If you think their prices are too high, then negotiate using your "good spanish" but don't slam them for trying to make a living in a hard-scrabble place like Baja, when all those people do is extend kindness to Americans 99.9% of the time.
        I've spent a lot of time sailing in Mexico, I've been all the places you have, and from what I've seen, the Mexicans are a lot more honorable that we are, most of the time.
        Keep in mind how you'd like foreigners to act in your hometown and you'll do better.
        See you out there,
        -Joel
        P.S. you will virtually never be hit for mordida by Federales. That is a local cop thing.

      • tony williams
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 15, 2013
          Steve
          Belize data for you
          includes a web cam
          from there you can get the weekly and monthly historical graphs but here is a direct link http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/MZBZ/2013/2/15/MonthlyHistory.html
          here is a great map site that lets you get very detailed images of the area.
          the sort of bay area at the bottom of Ambergris Caye below the HOI Chan reserve is great, you have to have a boat to get to but it is all waist deep and free of any docks or man made structures. The one little kite shop that used to be there, taught lessons there.
          As a vegitarian you might have a little bit of a hard time finding food choices but harder still is finding a latte.  There is one french cafe place on San Pedro right at the central park that does have good coffee.
          To bad you are not a fish eater as the little stands that fry up fresh snapper are really good and way cheap compared to the restaurants.
          Oh if you could score me a bottle of the 3barrels rum, that would be great, I am about out and you can only get it there.
          Also the local Belkin beer is not bad, should drinks lots of that.

          To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com From: rustyshill@... Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 23:29:37 -0700 Subject: Re: [snowkiteidaho] Baja log...

          To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com CC: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com From: jasonbrickner@... Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 17:21:25 -0800 Subject: Re: [snowkiteidaho] Re: Baja log...
[...]

          Idakiteman, I'm not sure you understand, but the Mexican law prohibits gringos from buying goods and services from other gringos who don't have an FM3 visa and a business in Mexico. There was no threat of the "little bite" from the Federales, because you were legitimately breaking the law. They had the power to detain and/or arrest you for breaking the law in Mexico because you were charging the other guys riding with you for the fuel, convenience, or whatever. You don't have the right, as a foreign national, to run a business in Mexico, which, the way they see it, is what you are doing. I'm sure you expect foreign nationals visiting the US to abide by our laws, you should try to do the same while in Mexico. The shuttle operators who "charge a lot more $" are running businesses and feeding their families, they are not your ride share competition. If they complain to the local authorities about it being unfair and illegal that you are charging riders, they're right, they are not being predatory, as you suggest. Mexico is a cheap place to enjoy their natural resources of fun, sun, wind, surf and reef like Cabo Pulmo, and for you to complain about them trying to enforce their laws set up to protect their little businesses is ridiculous. That kind of attitude makes it hard on the rest of us gringos who follow the Mexican rules while in Mexico, because we know we're in their country. If you don't want to use their shuttle service, don't. If you think their prices are too high, then negotiate using your "good spanish" but don't slam them for trying to make a living in a hard-scrabble place like Baja, when all those people do is extend kindness to Americans 99.9% of the time. I've spent a lot of time sailing in Mexico, I've been all the places you have, and from what I've seen, the Mexicans are a lot more honorable that we are, most of the time. Keep in mind how you'd like foreigners to act in your hometown and you'll do better. See you out there, -Joel P.S. you will virtually never be hit for mordida by Federales. That is a local cop thing. --- In mailto:snowkiteidaho%40yahoogroups.com, Jon Bolt wrote: > > So much to report, can't do it all, and takes too much time away from other > "divertido", so I've just blown it off. but to ease some guilt, here's a > couple snippets... > > Only a few no wind days so far since arrival Jan 15. Even the days where > Baja Joe's shows no wind, most times it's kitable just fine up here at > north beach. Smallest kite I've used so far is 11.5m, including yesterday, > but money kite here has been 9.5m in sweet conditions. When the strongest > El Norte's come through, it's cool highs maybe 70 or little more, but if El > Norte's are mild, the local thermal winds add to them, so still good strong > wind and could be in shorties, some w/ no wetsuits. 5-6 days ago there was > strong El Norte, but with a westerly component where wind tumbles over > mountains before hitting beach making it gusty & holey & side-off, so we > went way around the bay to a spot where that westerly hits side-on but its > at very end of bay w/ huge swell & waves breaking directly on shore. > Coarse sand blowing & stinging all exposed skin. Went out on 7.5m & had > to almost totally depower (yikes! coulda easily done 5.5m but it back at > our place) and still boosting huge but scary in those rough waters since > you're taking off where a preceeding wave leaves a slick behind and have to > land w/o getting cremed by following wave. Swell & breaking waves surely > mast high, they swallow you in between. Way rough. The real deal...ran > out of adrenalin after about an hour. Not much tricks other than jumping > lunar, rest spent getting upwind & playing on & between waves. Only a > handful of most experienced kiters at that spot because water entry through > that huge surf is challenging, and conditions rough. But most days here > are sweet fun 9.5m. The wind forecast for today was zilch, but right now > it's already whitecapping at least 12m...no...just looked out & it's 9m so > game on today. > > My buddy had to go back to states for 5 days, so Monday upon his return I > drove down to Cabo airport to pick him up in his pickup and took trailered > dirtbikes to do adventure on the way back. Tell you later about trip to > airport where I got stopped in both La Paz & @ Cabo airport by Policia > Federale, taking all our ID & vehicle documents, wanting to arrest me, > write ticket, and confiscate truck & trailer & bikes & tow to a yard > ("gruas"), all because I gave rides (in exchange for gas money) to other > local windjunkies who advertised in local email bulletin board looking for > a ride to airport. Claimed I was operating a service business w/o permit > (thus competing w/ local Mexicans that offer this service for a lot more > $$). Because the Mexicans charge so much, local gringos put notices of > rides wanted & available in daily email bulletin board, hoping to ride > share instead of paying the spendy shuttle cost. Interesting story for > later how they found out I was giving 3 folks a ride to the airport, and > identified my vehicle so they were watching for it in both places. Pegged > the stress & stomach acid needles, and after major intimidation, requiring > us to follow them to their "offices", and cutting me out of the herd for > application of special scare tactics, they both let me go w/ warning (after > about 30 minutes of threats & intimidation each time), and we didn't offer > or pay any mordida. Persist w/ reasonable protest & good enough spanish > (and claiming inability to understand whenever advantageous) long enough to > wear them down, which gives time for other bigger events to arise which > require their presence elsewhere. they were basically acting at the behest > of a shuttle operator, and apparently on the phone to him to get his > version of the facts (so policeman would sound informed) at same time he > was grilling me. So I got good experience dealing w/ Federales...and the > militant tactics of local shuttle operators trying to prevent gringos from > sharing rides to the airports. I'm gonna write a "head's up" in the local > bulletin board system alerting gringos of these predatory tactics by > shuttle operators trying to obstruct gringo ride sharing, which will dent > their business for sure. > > After the Federales we drove to the fairly remote (i.e., washboarded dirt > road access for many miles) Cabo Pulmo where there is a true Marine Reserve > having the only coral reef in Sea of Cortez, and south of that a fantastic > string of remote big white sand beaches and big rocky mountains coming down > to those beaches, the first such beach is Los Frailes. This area generally > referred to as the remotest part of the "East Cape". Stayed the night in > Cabo Pulmo and in morning the sea life display along the reserve was > epic...schools of rays, dolphins, multiple whale pods, all reasonably close > to shore. Hopped on bikes and did morning ride 20 miles or more south to > discover more pristine beaches. Mid-day returned to truck and drove back > to Los Barriles for 12m kiting session, then home to LV. When forecast > shows a couple no wind days, we'll certainly head back there for > snorkeling, camping, where you can fish from shore outside the Reserve, or > buy fresh fish from the panganero fisherman camps present at many of the > good beaches. One of most inspiring & exciting parts of Baja we've seen. > > All for now. 9m beckons... > > Adios >

          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 15, 2013
            Tony great info thanks

            To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com