Re: [snowkiteidaho] Camas on Xmas eve

  • David Jakious
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 24, 2012
      Still new to snow kiting and curious about coverage needed. Pine Cam shows a lot of uncovered rocks and grass.  Are there areas to find better coverage or is it enough right there?  Rock skis?

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Dec 24, 2012, at 9:40 AM, RUSTY HILL <rustyshill@...> wrote:

      So it looks like camas got plenty of snow last night and it beautiful today. Anyone else want to slip out for a couple hours with me?

      Rusty Hill
      208.891.7744

    • RUSTY HILL
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 24, 2012
        It looks like there is plenty of coverage right now… Most of the area has grass and sagebrush buried under the snow. The snow gets drifted into the valleys of the hills and is usually fluffy and wonderful. This time of year you just avoid the rocky areas…

        RUSTY HILL
        rustyshill@...

        On Dec 24, 2012, at 10:52 AM, steve linane <itile@...> wrote:

        thats right its north of Idaho falls

        To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
        From: rustyshill@...
        Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 10:36:40 -0700
        Subject: Re: [snowkiteidaho] Camas on Xmas eve

        I was just checking it though, and couldn't find closure details. On ITD's website it says it's still open…
        RUSTY HILL
        rustyshill@...

        On Dec 24, 2012, at 10:30 AM, RUSTY HILL <rustyshill@...> wrote:

        I guess that answers my question... Thanks Steve!

        Rusty Hill
        208.891.7744

        On Dec 24, 2012, at 10:21 AM, steve linane <itile@...> wrote:

        everything looks good but they got hwy 20 closed

        To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
        From: rustyshill@...
        Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 09:40:12 -0700
        Subject: [snowkiteidaho] Camas on Xmas eve

        So it looks like camas got plenty of snow last night and it beautiful today. Anyone else want to slip out for a couple hours with me?

        Rusty Hill
        208.891.7744

      • Josh Woodland

          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 25, 2012
            Any help would be much appreciated.  Am I reading things right that Thursday 12pm-5pm looks like some good wind on the prairie?  Got family in town so we are trying to plan out the next few days and I don't want to choose the wrong day.

            Thanks

          • RUSTY HILL

              From: rustyshill@...
              Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 09:40:12 -0700

              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 25, 2012
                Only bad scenario I see is a closed hwy???

                Eddy

                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 25, 2012
                  I have checked the weather up there about every day the past week or so its been blowing E and in the teens every time , except yesterday it started in the teens and quickly reached the mid 20s east also . Thursday turns NW but the temps stay relatively high so no proverbial buddle , this could be a turn around day because Friday goes East again , so wind likely , but you mite bring your cross country  skis or head to Soldier Mt they say this is there best opening ever . that is if no wind . also I wouldn't be surprised if it stays east up there either . If there is storm activity there is usually wind , but its hard to forecast it up there . so as you can see this doesnt help allot , this helps  http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/Winds/Aloft.cgi?location=BOI&Submit=Get+Forecast&hour=06&course=azimuth  but it only go out 24 hrs and it not 100%

                  To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
                  From: davidjakious@...
                  Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 17:49:10 -0700
                  Subject: [snowkiteidaho] Wind Prediction - Thursday

                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 26, 2012
                    what is "proverbial buddle"?

                    On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 9:07 PM, steve linane <itile@...> wrote:
                    proverbial buddle

                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 26, 2012
                      we get this very cold air that hangs in the valley up there its very still no air movement . quit often when this happens its windy and much warmer every where else

                      To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
                      From: idakiteman@...
                      Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 07:08:00 -0700
                      Subject: Re: [snowkiteidaho] Wind Prediction - Thursday

                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 26, 2012
                        ...some call that a "bubble" or "inversion"...but gosh darn it, I like "buddle"...that's where you drive all the way up there and get skunked so just huddle w/ yer buds & drink beer: buddlin'

                        To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
                        From: idakiteman@...
                        Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 07:08:00 -0700