Headed to Cascade on X-mas

  • ut_kiter
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 23, 2012
      I'll be staying in Cascade for about a week. Wanting to do some sled-accessed kiting. The last time I brought my sled, we rode up along the ridge around Tamarack, but was blizzard conditions. I imagine there should be good coverage and open meadows up there, but couldn't see anything.

      Anyone got any experience kiting up there? I see there has been kiting on the lake now.

      Any good weather stations you guys look at in that area? As of now, it doesn't appear the wind is looking great, but oh how mountain weather can change.

      If anyone wants to go kite or if there is no wind go for some sledding, give me a call. I may not have great service at the cabin, and definitely no access to email so texting might be the best method.

      Chase
      801-652-3100
    • Will Hise
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 23, 2012
        Chase. Good chance ill be in the area for New Years. Will text if so. Love to chase some wind!

        --Will

        On Sunday, December 23, 2012, ut_kiter wrote:
        I'll be staying in Cascade for about a week. Wanting to do some sled-accessed kiting. The last time I brought my sled, we rode up along the ridge around Tamarack, but was blizzard conditions. I imagine there should be good coverage and open meadows up there, but couldn't see anything.

        Anyone got any experience kiting up there? I see there has been kiting on the lake now.

        Any good weather stations you guys look at in that area? As of now, it doesn't appear the wind is looking great, but oh how mountain weather can change.

        If anyone wants to go kite or if there is no wind go for some sledding, give me a call. I may not have great service at the cabin, and definitely no access to email so texting might be the best method.

        Chase

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            snowkiteidaho-digest@yahoogroups.com
            snowkiteidaho-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • RUSTY HILL
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 23, 2012
          Hey Chase,
          I'll be up on west mountain from Wednesday to maybe Saturday. It doesn't look like there will be much wind but I'll contact you if there is...

          Rusty Hill
          208.891.7744

          On Dec 23, 2012, at 3:56 PM, "ut_kiter" <chase.leibfritz@...> wrote:

          I'll be staying in Cascade for about a week. Wanting to do some sled-accessed kiting. The last time I brought my sled, we rode up along the ridge around Tamarack, but was blizzard conditions. I imagine there should be good coverage and open meadows up there, but couldn't see anything.

          Anyone got any experience kiting up there? I see there has been kiting on the lake now.

          Any good weather stations you guys look at in that area? As of now, it doesn't appear the wind is looking great, but oh how mountain weather can change.

          If anyone wants to go kite or if there is no wind go for some sledding, give me a call. I may not have great service at the cabin, and definitely no access to email so texting might be the best method.

          Chase
          801-652-3100

        • michael zolin
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 24, 2012
            I will be up  on west mountain Sat-Mon.

            Mike Z
            724-1755

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 24, 2012
              Brian Kerr are you out there. I know you've sledded into Westmtn and done some kiting.

              Sent from my iPhone

              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 26, 2012
                Hey Bill , Rusty and other Cascadians,
                Garrett will be snowmobiling on top of West Mountain today and can give us a report of conditions. I assume there is plenty of snow on top. The real question is can we access the open ridge we use for kiting. There is a long hill climb that protects the area from casual recreational snowmobilers and it is extremely tough to climb in new or deep snow. There is a backdoor access trail but we couldn't find it last season.
                We dubbed the area Shangrala because it is in this spectacular remote hidden valley overlooking southwestern Idaho and eastern Oregon. We have only kited there once and I don't think anyone else has ever kited there since.
                I am going to Cascade on Thursday evening or Friday. Looks like we may have some clearing of the weather. We would love to hook up with any and all if we get some wind. Our cabin is at the south end of the lake. The South lake narrows and creates a venture effect near our cabin. It is where the Sailboats always have their regattas in the summer. So if the wind is marginal it is a great place. They keep a parking lot plowed at the Blue Heron boat launch 2 miles south of the golf course. Our cabin is opposite Blue Heron at 12 Ridge, Cascade ID.

                If you want to see pictures of Shangrala;
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/snowkiteidaho/photos/album/1328558151/pic/list
                or go to the photos link page 2 "A Room with a View
                West Mountain Shangrala"

                --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, Bill Binegar <billyg2477@...> wrote:

                > Brian Kerr are you out there. I know you've sledded into Westmtn and done some kiting.
                >
                > Sent from my iPhone
                >
                > On Dec 24, 2012, at 9:45 AM, michael zolin <zolie22@...> wrote:
                >
                > > I will be up on west mountain Sat-Mon.
                > >
                > > Mike Z
                > > 724-1755

              • RUSTY HILL
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 26, 2012
                  Brian, that sounds fantastic. I'm definitely down for chasing some wind!!!

                  Rusty Hill
                  208.891.7744

                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 26, 2012
                    Rusty, take your PG and motor up to the area.

                    Eddy

                    On Dec 26, 2012, at 10:00 AM, RUSTY HILL <rustyshill@...> wrote:

                    Brian, that sounds fantastic. I'm definitely down for chasing some wind!!!

                    Rusty Hill
                    208.891.7744

                    On Dec 26, 2012, at 9:29 AM, "Brian" <bkerrmd@...> wrote:

                    Hey Bill , Rusty and other Cascadians,
                    Garrett will be snowmobiling on top of West Mountain today and can give us a report of conditions. I assume there is plenty of snow on top. The real question is can we access the open ridge we use for kiting. There is a long hill climb that protects the area from casual recreational snowmobilers and it is extremely tough to climb in new or deep snow. There is a backdoor access trail but we couldn't find it last season.
                    We dubbed the area Shangrala because it is in this spectacular remote hidden valley overlooking southwestern Idaho and eastern Oregon. We have only kited there once and I don't think anyone else has ever kited there since.
                    I am going to Cascade on Thursday evening or Friday. Looks like we may have some clearing of the weather. We would love to hook up with any and all if we get some wind. Our cabin is at the south end of the lake. The South lake narrows and creates a venture effect near our cabin. It is where the Sailboats always have their regattas in the summer. So if the wind is marginal it is a great place. They keep a parking lot plowed at the Blue Heron boat launch 2 miles south of the golf course. Our cabin is opposite Blue Heron at 12 Ridge, Cascade ID.

                    If you want to see pictures of Shangrala;
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/snowkiteidaho/photos/album/1328558151/pic/list
                    or go to the photos link page 2 "A Room with a View
                    West Mountain Shangrala"

                    --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, Bill Binegar <billyg2477@...> wrote:

                    > Brian Kerr are you out there. I know you've sledded into Westmtn and done some kiting.
                    >
                    > Sent from my iPhone
                    >
                    > On Dec 24, 2012, at 9:45 AM, michael zolin <zolie22@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > I will be up on west mountain Sat-Mon.
                    > >
                    > > Mike Z
                    > > 724-1755

                  • RUSTY HILL
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 26, 2012
                      Yeah... I'd like to but I'm headed up to cascade for a week or so... When I return I'll be heading up for sure

                      Rusty Hill
                      208.891.7744