RE: [snowkiteidaho] We're famous

  • Chris Lee
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 3, 2012
      I caught a little at 7.1 this weekend. it's playing on 7.2 now!

      steve linane <itile@...> wrote:

      Only in America could this happen to someone with such humble beginnings , snowkiting has been very very good to me .. Can wait to see it , fast forward to the end .

      To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
      From: darrelthomasisnow@...
      Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 03:23:18 +0000
      Subject: [snowkiteidaho] We're famous

      Steve L, you and I made it into "Idaho the Movie." There's about 2 seconds of snowkiting towards the end - a shot of me with the "Go Broncos" kite, then a shot of you in the air.

    • Greg
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 3, 2012
        Will you sign my board for me?????? You guys rock!

        Sent from my iPhone

        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 4, 2012
          ...Only in America........hey!...did you guys sign written releases authorizing film makers to use footage of you for their own commercial gain???  If not, I see a good 'ol American royalties suit in yer future!!!

          To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
          From: darrelthomasisnow@...
          Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 03:23:18 +0000

            From: darrelthomasisnow@...
            Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 03:23:18 +0000

            Steve L, you and I made it into "Idaho the Movie." There's about 2 seconds of snowkiting towards the end - a shot of me with the "Go Broncos" kite, then a shot of you in the air.

          • Whitney Rearick

              From: darrelthomasisnow@...
              Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 03:23:18 +0000

              Steve L, you and I made it into "Idaho the Movie." There's about 2 seconds of snowkiting towards the end - a shot of me with the "Go Broncos" kite, then a shot of you in the air.

            • Will Hise
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 4, 2012
                Actually, if you were in a public place, they have every right to use footage without your permission.

                See:
                Members of the public have a very
                limited scope of privacy rights when
                they are in public places. Basically,
                anyone can be photographed without
                their consent except when they have
                secluded themselves in places where
                they have a reasonable expectation of
                privacy such as dressing rooms, restrooms,
                medical facilities, and inside
                their homes.

                Specific to video, if you were both there for 2 seconds total, I doubt you could argue that you were a "main model" in the commercial endevour. That makes you incidental models in a public place. Good luck with that lawsuit.

                Don't make a big deal out of this. You're in a video! That should be seen as "cool, I'm in a video!" not "I'm going to sue you!"

                To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
                From: darrelthomasisnow@...
                Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 03:23:18 +0000

                  From: darrelthomasisnow@...
                  Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 03:23:18 +0000

                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 4, 2012
                    There's legality, and there's ethics. I'm a photographer, and I do my best to ask permission before shooting someone, as does just about every responsible photog I know. It's just the right thing to do.

                    And actually, it might not be legal to use identifiable footage without permission. A quick Google search shows that you really do need a release when the footage is used for commercial purposes. Here are two reputable sources:

                    http://www.newmediarights.org/guides/legal_guide_video_releases_use_publication_audio_and_video_recordings
                    http://asmp.org/tutorials/frequently-asked-questions-about-releases.html#.UL48roZW_mJ

                    On the other hand, if faces aren't visible, it's not a problem. Cheers!

                    To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
                    From: darrelthomasisnow@...
                    Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 03:23:18 +0000

                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 4, 2012
                      Can I sue you for a joke that wasn't funny?

                      ;)

                      Can we pleeeaaaaaasse get some snow and wind so I can get out of my email and get outside?!

                      Miss you all. We need a party or a happy hour or something.

                      --Will

                      To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
                      From: darrelthomasisnow@...
                      Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 03:23:18 +0000

                        From: darrelthomasisnow@...
                        Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 03:23:18 +0000

                        Steve L, you and I made it into "Idaho the Movie." There's about 2 seconds of snowkiting towards the end - a shot of me with the "Go Broncos" kite, then a shot of you in the air.

                      • j clive
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 11, 2012
                          Duuushbags. All of u

                          http://kitesites.com/wp/2012/12/04/reach-for-the-sky/