Re: wind alert

  • jwattboi
    Message 1 of 29 , Dec 2, 2012
      Got to the bridge and rigged the 9.5 at 2:15-ish. Still cloudy and spitting just a little rain. Went out and I was so lit I thought maybe I should head back in to get the 7. Nah, stayed out and it mellowed a little. Was good n lit for a while. Hit the 3 o'clock lull and worked my way back in.

      Big lull so I rigged the 12 and got out the big board. About the time I was ready to head out the white caps picked back up so I went back out on the regular board. Right choice, freight train on the 12 till dark. I could have been on the 9.5 but didn't want to re-rig again.

      I had on a 2mil shortie and the 543 over it with gloves, booties, and helmet. I never did get cold and didn't bother taking the water temp, it felt low to mid 50's. The sun came out for the last half. The wind was more westerly. I quit just after sunset and the wind was still crankin. It was a great session, gusty at first, nice powered butter after the lull, and a little gusty the last half hour or so. The only thing that wasn't great was nobody else there to share it.

      > Pocatello 41-58mph SW
      >
      > But how cool would you be to kiteboard in December. Wish I could but used my hall pass to paraglide yesterday.
      >
      > Go for it JW and let us know when the boys drop back down. I think the rain might hold off now
      >
      > Eddy
      >

      > On Dec 2, 2012, at 12:45 PM, steve linane <itile@...> wrote:
      >
      > > If you look at Ontario right now its W 22 G 31 MPH but cooling off at 51 . and MT H This Afternoon Rain likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 60. Breezy, with a southeast wind 9 to 14 mph becoming west northwest 21 to 26 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. and its allready 21 28
      > >
      > > To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
      > > From: jwattboi@...
      > > Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 19:15:33 +0000
      > > Subject: [snowkiteidaho] Re: wind alert
      > >

      > > I've got the afternoon free so I think I'm going to take a drive in a while if nothing else. I have room if anyone wants to tag along.

    • Greg
      Message 2 of 29 , Dec 3, 2012
        Way to go JW, doing it in Dec.!

        Sent from my iPhone

        Message 3 of 29 , Dec 3, 2012
          Ditto.  JW you rock!!!  I was really bummed I could not join you.

          Eddy

          On Dec 3, 2012, at 9:03 AM, Greg <daflyinhawaiian64@...> wrote:

          Way to go JW, doing it in Dec.!

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Dec 2, 2012, at 9:03 PM, "jwattboi" <jwattboi@...> wrote:

          Got to the bridge and rigged the 9.5 at 2:15-ish. Still cloudy and spitting just a little rain. Went out and I was so lit I thought maybe I should head back in to get the 7. Nah, stayed out and it mellowed a little. Was good n lit for a while. Hit the 3 o'clock lull and worked my way back in.

          Big lull so I rigged the 12 and got out the big board. About the time I was ready to head out the white caps picked back up so I went back out on the regular board. Right choice, freight train on the 12 till dark. I could have been on the 9.5 but didn't want to re-rig again.

          I had on a 2mil shortie and the 543 over it with gloves, booties, and helmet. I never did get cold and didn't bother taking the water temp, it felt low to mid 50's. The sun came out for the last half. The wind was more westerly. I quit just after sunset and the wind was still crankin. It was a great session, gusty at first, nice powered butter after the lull, and a little gusty the last half hour or so. The only thing that wasn't great was nobody else there to share it.

          > Pocatello 41-58mph SW
          >
          > But how cool would you be to kiteboard in December. Wish I could but used my hall pass to paraglide yesterday.
          >
          > Go for it JW and let us know when the boys drop back down. I think the rain might hold off now
          >
          > Eddy
          >

          > On Dec 2, 2012, at 12:45 PM, steve linane <itile@...> wrote:
          >
          > > If you look at Ontario right now its W 22 G 31 MPH but cooling off at 51 . and MT H This Afternoon Rain likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 60. Breezy, with a southeast wind 9 to 14 mph becoming west northwest 21 to 26 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. and its allready 21 28
          > >
          > > To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
          > > From: jwattboi@...
          > > Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 19:15:33 +0000
          > > Subject: [snowkiteidaho] Re: wind alert
          > >

          > > I've got the afternoon free so I think I'm going to take a drive in a while if nothing else. I have room if anyone wants to tag along.

        • Jim Tighe
          Message 4 of 29 , Dec 3, 2012

            Dec Sailing/kiting is soooo Cool.  Way to Go.

            James R. Tighe

            5420 W State St.

            Boise, Idaho 83703

            208-853-3220 Gym; 208-859-1397 Cell

            jim@...

            www.gemstategymnastics.com

            Message 5 of 29 , Dec 3, 2012
              Message 6 of 29 , Dec 4, 2012

                Did you launch from ‘cocaine flats’ or on the south side of the river?

                -JBrick

                  I launched from the north side but the area closer to the bridge. There's a good shallow area to walk out and drift launch. After the rain, the the road to cocaine flats would have been seriously mucky.

                  Message 8 of 29 , Dec 4, 2012

                    Yeah…. I remember someone tearing up their front end transmission one spring in the mud.

                    Man… I could use a fix.  I’ll have to hit the snow…

                    -JBrick

                    Message 9 of 29 , Dec 4, 2012
                      While not as fun as snow kiting nor as studly as kitesurfing in December I got in some skateboarding behind my 3m trainer kite. It will have to suffice til then.

                      Sent from my iPhone

                      Message 10 of 29 , Feb 19
                        Looks like Friday ( high of 54 ) could be windy and warm at the river or CJ , I know Bill , Jason and Greg , wanted to get in on the next opportunity . Saturday ( high of 49 ) also possible but cooler . one model is forecasting a strong SE on Sunday but a high of only 43
                      • Gregory Da let
                        Message 11 of 29 , Feb 19
                          Gonna be out of town😫

                          Sent from my iPhone

                          On Feb 19, 2015, at 10:51 AM, 'Steve Linane' itile@... [snowkiteidaho] <snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                          Looks like Friday ( high of 54 ) could be windy and warm at the river or CJ , I know Bill , Jason and Greg , wanted to get in on the next opportunity . Saturday ( high of 49 ) also possible but cooler . one model is forecasting a strong SE on Sunday but a high of only 43

                        • Peter Hammett
                          Message 12 of 29 , Feb 19
                            I'd be into going on Friday. Please let me know if you are heading out. Thanks,
                            -Peter 425-890-3104

                            To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
                            From: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
                            Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 10:51:57 -0700
                            Subject: [snowkiteidaho] wind alert

                            Message 13 of 29 , Feb 20
                              I can't get away today, but Saturday looks good.   Peak is forecast at 2, sunny and 47, I'm in.

                              Looks like Friday ( high of 54 ) could be windy and warm at the river or CJ , I know Bill , Jason and Greg , wanted to get in on the next opportunity . Saturday ( high of 49 ) also possible but cooler . one model is forecasting a strong SE on Sunday but a high of only 43

                            • Bill Binegar
                              Message 14 of 29 , Feb 20
                                I cannot make either day. Hockey, volleyball and minor calf injury

                                Billy G

                                Sent from my iPhone

                                Message 15 of 29 , Feb 21
                                  18 and building now.  I hope it gets as good as the graph from yesterday looked.  I'm going to head out around 11 and Mike Z and a friend are heading out too.

                                  Anybody else?
                                • jwattboi
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Feb 21
                                    Three of us had a solid day on the river.  Cloudy at first, then skies cleared and wind ramped up.  Kites out were 8, 9.5 , and 10.