Is it kite able today?

  • Jake Dobson
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 17, 2012
      Overcast, but strong southeast wind. Would it work today at LP? I may just be desperate to go kiting, but thought I would see.
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 17, 2012
        Jake
        you must of saw 20g26 in boise . it mite be worth a drive to LP . its a long shot . CJ is the best spot but no wind there yet , rain in the forecast and not a lot of wind for MtH
        keep us posted

        To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
        From: jakedobson80@...
        Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 19:17:27 +0000
        Subject: [snowkiteidaho] Is it kite able today?

        Overcast, but strong southeast wind. Would it work today at LP? I may just be desperate to go kiting, but thought I would see.

      • Greg
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 17, 2012
          Did you make it up there? I was jonesin as well. Went out to the park with my skateboard and trainer kite. Long story short, I ended up with some road rash as the parking lot was a bit wet and skidded out during a sharp toe side turn. Watts is headwind to Maui today the dog!

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 17, 2012
            Never made it up. The rain and clouds scared me away. Wish I was down south kiting.
            Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 17, 2012
              Maybe Jason W will send us some pictures from Maui

              To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
              From: jakedobson80@...
              Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 20:06:22 -0700
              Subject: Re: [snowkiteidaho] Is it kite able today?

              Never made it up. The rain and clouds scared me away. Wish I was down south kiting.
              Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

              Greg <daflyinhawaiian64@...> wrote:

              >Did you make it up there? I was jonesin as well. Went out to the park with my skateboard and trainer kite. Long story short, I ended up with some road rash as the parking lot was a bit wet and skidded out during a sharp toe side turn. Watts is headwind to Maui today the dog!
              >
              >Sent from my iPhone
              >
              >On Nov 17, 2012, at 12:17 PM, "Jake Dobson" <jakedobson80@...> wrote:
              >
              >> Overcast, but strong southeast wind. Would it work today at LP? I may just be desperate to go kiting, but thought I would see.

            • Bill Binegar
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 17, 2012
                I am down south in Padre with my whole family and convinced two of my high school friends to bring their families. No wind. Need Rusty to send another video.

                Sent from my iPhone

                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 17, 2012
                  Bill  S Padre forecast light east wind and 75 the rest of the week , maybe big kit tomorrow

                  To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
                  From: billyg2477@...
                  Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 21:57:56 -0600

                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 17, 2012
                    Steve is there a better place to go when the winds are East, maybe off the island?

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
                    From: billyg2477@...
                    Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 21:57:56 -0600

                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 17, 2012
                      Holly Beach The wind is generally cleaner and more consistent . Best wind directions are southeast to east. Holly works best on thermal southeasterly winds, not north winds and Isla Blanca County Park is a good destination in South winds. Usually kiters begin their downwinder here and head north through town. Catch a cab back for only 3 dollars per person and start it all over again. itis got to be a real windy day.
                      The Spoils are butter flat water in the middle of the bay. If you have boat access then this is a good location for super flat shallow water. Works best in thermal winds from the south to east .
                      Fishing Shacks
                      South wind location for butter flat water! I mean like a mirror

                      http://www.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=208007871715317634525.00047491d2edebfa2f621&ll=26.186867,-97.223511&spn=0.308084,0.460052&t=m&z=11&vpsrc=0&iwloc=000474925875548555421&f=d&daddr=Holly+Beach+%4026.143034,-97.295094

                      To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com

                      From: billyg2477@...
                      Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 21:57:56 -0600

                        From: billyg2477@...
                        Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 21:57:56 -0600

                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 18, 2012
                          where did you guys end up going . Holly is allway your best bet , ( allways winder there ) its a little hard to find , and at one point they were talking of closeing it . have you been there or heard anything about ?
                          Send pictures

                          To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com

                          From: billyg2477@...
                          Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 21:57:56 -0600

                          I am down south in Padre with my whole family and convinced two of my high school friends to bring their families. No wind. Need Rusty to send another video.

                          Sent from my iPhone

                          On Nov 17, 2012, at 9:06 PM, Jake <jakedobson80@...> wrote:

                          Never made it up. The rain and clouds scared me away. Wish I was down south kiting.
                          Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

                          Greg <daflyinhawaiian64@...> wrote:

                          >Did you make it up there? I was jonesin as well. Went out to the park with my skateboard and trainer kite. Long story short, I ended up with some road rash as the parking lot was a bit wet and skidded out during a sharp toe side turn. Watts is headwind to Maui today the dog!
                          >
                          >Sent from my iPhone
                          >
                          >On Nov 17, 2012, at 12:17 PM, "Jake Dobson" <jakedobson80@...> wrote:
                          >
                          >> Overcast, but strong southeast wind. Would it work today at LP? I may just be desperate to go kiting, but thought I would see.

                        • jwattboi
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 19, 2012
                            Got two sessions in yesterday. Wind was really east making a huge shadow on shore.

                            First one, from the beginner beach a ways downwind. Set up the 9.5, waited for a puff and launched. Body dragged out maybe 150 feet kite crashed, I could hear the guy that launched me yelling it shut off. Yup, I turned around and almost all kites were in the water, even out by the reef. It just shut down almost completely.

                            Second sesh, drove up to Kanaha beach, waited for it to build up again. Went out on the 9.5 for an hour and a half before it got light. Powered up great past the reef most of the time. Once it started getting light past the reef, no way to get back to Kanaha so I took out down by boneyard.

                            I was able to help out some guy having a little kitemare. I saw him body dragging in about halfway between the reef and beach without a board. I was able to spot his surfboard out by the breakers and went to pick it up. Man, it's hard to kite one handed while dragging a surfboard. I got just upwind of him before I lost my plane and had to dump it. Yelled at him and caught his attention. Saw him back out later giving me a thumbs up. Karma, pay it forward and all that.

                            Wish you were all here.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 19, 2012
                              Have not heard of Holly. We just went on the bayside next to Phillips windsurf inc. I will ask today about Holly to see if that site is still open.

                              Sent from my iPhone

                              To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com

                              From: billyg2477@...
                              Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 21:57:56 -0600

                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 19, 2012
                                Jason, glad you are getting some. Also good to hear the lucky peak karma continues in Hawaii. I know the lucky peak crew has kept me going more than a few days.

                                Sent from my iPhone

                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 19, 2012

                                  Keep us posted.  We’re there with you.  Pics always good.

                                  -JBrick

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Nov 20, 2012
                                    Lots of kites out there yesterday, 8s to 13s. I flew the 12 and had a blast. Should be more of the same today.

                                    Here's a few pics on FB:

                                    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.521948541149524.93108374.100000031496757&type=1&l=7721eea66a

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Nov 20, 2012

                                      Ahhhhhhh.  I’m fixed…. For a while.