Re: [snowkiteidaho] Re: Chrismas kite

    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 28, 2012
      Wow.  Hawaii likely cheaper than Mexico?  Is that $1000 to La Paz (LAP) or Cabo (SJD)??  Usually SJD substantially cheaper than LAP.  But yeah, now US airlines really hammer you for travel on any holiday.  but here is a little known option...more troublesome, but a lot less than $1000.

      Volaris is a Mexican carrier that is a partner of Southwest, and connects many US cities to La Paz and Cabo.  BUT, when they depart for Mexico from US cities, the ticket prices soar because of having to pay homeland security fees, high federal & airport taxes, etc.  BUT, if you depart from Tijuana, the tickets are incredibly cheap.  $260 round trip to La Paz or Cabo over Christmas/New Years week ($220 is currently the typical price later in year): http://www.volaris.mx/en/.  Next, there is a Greyhound shuttle that goes from both downtown LA or San Diego to the TJ airport: only $20 round trip from San Diego if you purchase tickets in advance and online, a bit more from LAX: https://www.greyhound.com/farefinder/step2.aspx.  In the greyhound schedule dialog, use "Tijuana Arpt, MX" for TJ airport.  You'd have to take a cab or shuttle from the SD airport to the Greyhound terminal (SAN DIEGO GREYHOUND STA 1313 NATIONAL AVE San Diego, CA 92101 Telephone Numbers Main: (619) 515-1100 ).  The shuttle costs another $10 each way, so $20 total: https://primetimeshuttle.hudsonltd.net/res.  Cabs are about $20 each way.  So, if you can get to San Diego, the round trip to La Paz is $300 total.  Over Christmas week, Southwest has fares of $360 round trip Boise to San Diego.  So total to La Paz is $660 total...saving $340 per person.

      You can search online for writeups of people's experiences taking this route.  Lots do it.  They advise allowing 3.5hrs from greyhound bus departure @ SD until flight departure @ TJ.  For traveling in Mexico, you have to have an FMM card (tourist card), which you can buy for about $25 right at the TJ airport before you board the plane.

      Hawaii probably a lot easier....

      Shoot, the flights are $1000 per person...

      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 28, 2012
         Stefano
        Maui has always been a good deal . i've been there many times and it cost me about $100 a day , Air , condo , van , and (gear windsurf ) you cant beat it . but winter is the least windy time of year , But I was there in December and sailed every day ( before there was Kites ) using a 80L blaster and a 4.5 or a 5.2  . that is a 9m to 7m kite . If you surf its the best time to go . that December  the waves on the north shore were 25' plus on the out side and logo to mast high on the inside . the reef would uncover right in front of you and a 15 foot wave would back on dry ground . it was life threatening  . I never ventured out past the first set of breakers . though many guys did . I watched them go out , they were on very little gear . In front of a 20 /30' wave there is no wind . they would do the hula as they took the elevator ride up and over . I didn't see a guy not make it , I would probably still be having night mares if I did .
        Another time I went it was either gale force wind 50 plus or nothing at all . though i did get some video of Jaws going off witch is one of the most incredible  things I have ever seen in my life .
        the point of the story is just to let you know what you could be in for if you go .

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDXtPC3Z0Gc
        not my video

        To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
        From: idakiteman@...
        Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 10:12:32 -0600
        Subject: Re: [snowkiteidaho] Re: Chrismas kite

      • daflyinhawaiian64@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 28, 2012
          Stephano, fyi I will be there over the xmas holidaze. 20-1st. As Steve pointed out not as consistent as rest of year but plenty to do (read keep wife and child happy) when wind not there.
          Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

          From: steve linane <itile@...>
          Sender: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 13:15:41 -0600
          To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com<snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com>
          ReplyTo: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com

          To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
          From: idakiteman@...
          Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 10:12:32 -0600

> [...]

          > > > will yes both places you can SUP , snorkel , fish , mt bike , drink , rent a four wheeler , drive over to the Pacifica to go surfing , ect .
          > > > what dates do you plan to go ?
          > > >

          > > > To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
          > > > From: idakiteman@
          > > > Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 12:54:58 -0600
          > > > Subject: Re: [snowkiteidaho] Chrismas kite
          > > >

          > > > Mexico. Trade winds leave Hawaii in winter and if only there for one week, much bigger probably of no wind. Mexico the El Norte winds along sea of Cortez really get rolling by December. Go to Los Barriles (fly into SJD) or La Ventana (LAP airport is closest but SJD a cheaper flight from Boise).
          > > >

          > > > On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 9:48 AM, stefanoortelli <sortelli@> wrote:
          > > >

          > > > What's easy to go spot for Christmas trip to kite? Hawaii? Mexico?

        • stefanoortelli
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 28, 2012
            Thanks guys, lots of good info. Wow Steve for the video, I would love to surf, I've never tried in my live, but who knows... sonner or later...
            Greg, what's best kite beach there, and best flight itinerary to go kite in Hawaii?
            Maybe best choice for Christmas is go skiing at Bogus...

            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 29, 2012
              Stefano...first time you try surfing and discover how darn hard & exhausting it is just to paddle out even in somewhat small surf...and how fatigued your shoulders get from all the paddling, and neck fatigue from holding your head up to see outward instead of always smelling the board wax...you'll realize why folks kiteSURF.  Use the kite to do all that hard work of getting out to the lineup, and to instantly pickup speed to catch the wave...then depower the kite and enjoy the really fun part of surfing...

            • Jack Harrison
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 29, 2012

                Yes, copy Jon on difficulty and arm strength….

                To learn to surf you may consider getting a paddle board… and starting with “15 to 30-inch” waves to have some real fun!!!

                Steve – great video. Are they now surfing waves that they were “tow-in” surfing a few years back?

                Jack

                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 29, 2012
                  Well I like Naish beach for launching/landing as it has a "better" wind. Parking not as convenient as kite beach. Best itinerary is the one you are able to get. I like flying Alaska Airlines they have a flight that leaves boi in the morning stops in san jose and gets to Maui around 1 pm. At this point in the game its what ever gets you there!
                  Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                  From: "stefanoortelli" <sortelli@...>
                  Sender: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 02:34:43 -0000