Re: Chrismas kite

  • stefanoortelli
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 19, 2012
      Thanks, how many good ones! We are thinking to go the week just before Christmas, just after the schools close. I'm looking for a spot to use th 12. If I take my wife on a beach good for the 7 she could ask for divorce,

      Are you interested to join? Anyone interested?

      > I think Jon is right , there are other Spots ( Costa Rica , Australia ,Antigua,Aruba,Barbados,Bonaire,Coche,Los Roques,Margarita,Tobago Puerto Rico ,Peru and the big one Brazil ) ,
      > But if you have only a week Baja is your best bet .Jon gave you good flight info . But here are the nuts and bolts , Flying into LAP or SJD you will need to rent a car or arrange a ride , the ride cost $100 last time I went . Baja Joes can help with a ride and they have room to rent . http://www.bajajoe.com/Web_Cam.htm but Casa verde is much nicer http://www.bajmahal.com/ .
      > Be prepared for high wind a 7m 9m and a 12m . very similar to the gorge , can be gusty with bigger swells .In La Ventana No flat water except in a little spot down wind , but the wind needs to blow hard enough to fill it . Two spots have surf but its got to blow two or three day in a row night and day and hard , and at that its not much . Bring a 4/3 wet suit along with your 3/2 its not really shorty weather . Watch out for urchin . I step on one , it hurts bad .
      > Needle fish are said to be a danger , but not much you can do about them . they either fly out of the water and hit you or they don't .
      > #1 things to do , get a ride to the hot springs and do a down winder .
      > #2 when the wind doesn't blow , well bring a good book
      >
      > Los Barriles not as windy as La Ventana and not as often but not buy to much , things to do there , kite when windy , when not windy wait for the wind .
      > will yes both places you can SUP , snorkel , fish , mt bike , drink , rent a four wheeler , drive over to the Pacifica to go surfing , ect .
      > what dates do you plan to go ?
      >

      > To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
      > From: idakiteman@...
      > Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 12:54:58 -0600
      > Subject: Re: [snowkiteidaho] Chrismas kite
      >

      > Mexico. Trade winds leave Hawaii in winter and if only there for one week, much bigger probably of no wind. Mexico the El Norte winds along sea of Cortez really get rolling by December. Go to Los Barriles (fly into SJD) or La Ventana (LAP airport is closest but SJD a cheaper flight from Boise).
      >

      > On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 9:48 AM, stefanoortelli <sortelli@...> wrote:
      >

      > What's easy to go spot for Christmas trip to kite? Hawaii? Mexico?

    • j clive
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 20, 2012
        Last January I didn't need a wet suit in Los barriles and all four days we were there the right kite size was 12 or 14m. These VIDS were shot in January:

        los barrilles
        http://kitesites.com/wp/2012/05/02/bombarded-with-kites/

        la ventana
        http://kitesites.com/wp/2010/11/24/la-ventana-warm-weather-kitesurfing-in-december/

        I'll be in baja in January and Penasco (northern mexico) this holiday season:

        http://kitesites.com/wp/category/kitesurfing-location/rocky-point-kitesurfing/

        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 20, 2012
          Been to both Los Barilles and La Ventana.  I liked LB better even thou stronger winds happen at LV. You'll still have as many days in LB unless you want small kites only.

          Eddy

          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 20, 2012
            my experience of wind difference between Los Barriles & La Ventana:

            Many times I've kited at one of these two places, then the very next day kited the other.  On arriving second day I'd ask the locals "what kite size were you on yesterday?".  The answer has always been that folks at both places were using same kite sizes.  having said that....as long as the wind has some degree of "el norte" going on (mild or strong), kiting is darn similar at both places.  If El norte completely gone then your only hope is mid/late afternoon breeze from inland thermal heating...big kite stuff.  In those instances I've heard that kitable wind more likely to happen at LV.  LV has more expansive inland flatland to heat up between shore and mountains.

            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 20, 2012
              stefanoo
              Something I didnt mention , I've been going to Baja scene the 80s and back then Los Barriles was the only thing going . I the 90s LV got discovered and the windsurf / kite scene moved to LV . all but Vela http://www.velawindsurf.com/html/pages/destinations/baja.php . there is something you mite be interested in for your wife . Vela gives Kite lessons . 2 hr with gear $150 or 8 hr , multiple day for $525 . When I stay in LB I stay at Martin Verdugos right next door to Vela ( but Vela has lodging also ) http://www.verdugosbeachresort.com/  . One thing you will like is the beach just north of Martin Verdugos gets very wide , making launching and landing much easier .But there are areas of sizeable shore back in places making it a challenge  to get out . ie right in front of Vela . I think if your with a group or family LB is a good choice . but if its just yourself or a friend or two , LV gives the add fun of a big kite scene with lots of like minded people . LV also offers kite races ,kite demos ,burning bush, and down winders .
               Have Fun , Steve L. , and remember attitude is everything , Nautically specking

              To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
              From: idakiteman@...
              Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2012 10:09:10 -0600
              Subject: Re: [snowkiteidaho] Re: Chrismas kite

              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 28, 2012
                Shoot, the flights are $1000 per person...

                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 28, 2012
                  Wow.  Hawaii likely cheaper than Mexico?  Is that $1000 to La Paz (LAP) or Cabo (SJD)??  Usually SJD substantially cheaper than LAP.  But yeah, now US airlines really hammer you for travel on any holiday.  but here is a little known option...more troublesome, but a lot less than $1000.

                  Volaris is a Mexican carrier that is a partner of Southwest, and connects many US cities to La Paz and Cabo.  BUT, when they depart for Mexico from US cities, the ticket prices soar because of having to pay homeland security fees, high federal & airport taxes, etc.  BUT, if you depart from Tijuana, the tickets are incredibly cheap.  $260 round trip to La Paz or Cabo over Christmas/New Years week ($220 is currently the typical price later in year): http://www.volaris.mx/en/.  Next, there is a Greyhound shuttle that goes from both downtown LA or San Diego to the TJ airport: only $20 round trip from San Diego if you purchase tickets in advance and online, a bit more from LAX: https://www.greyhound.com/farefinder/step2.aspx.  In the greyhound schedule dialog, use "Tijuana Arpt, MX" for TJ airport.  You'd have to take a cab or shuttle from the SD airport to the Greyhound terminal (SAN DIEGO GREYHOUND STA 1313 NATIONAL AVE San Diego, CA 92101 Telephone Numbers Main: (619) 515-1100 ).  The shuttle costs another $10 each way, so $20 total: https://primetimeshuttle.hudsonltd.net/res.  Cabs are about $20 each way.  So, if you can get to San Diego, the round trip to La Paz is $300 total.  Over Christmas week, Southwest has fares of $360 round trip Boise to San Diego.  So total to La Paz is $660 total...saving $340 per person.

                  You can search online for writeups of people's experiences taking this route.  Lots do it.  They advise allowing 3.5hrs from greyhound bus departure @ SD until flight departure @ TJ.  For traveling in Mexico, you have to have an FMM card (tourist card), which you can buy for about $25 right at the TJ airport before you board the plane.

                  Hawaii probably a lot easier....

                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 28, 2012
                     Stefano
                    Maui has always been a good deal . i've been there many times and it cost me about $100 a day , Air , condo , van , and (gear windsurf ) you cant beat it . but winter is the least windy time of year , But I was there in December and sailed every day ( before there was Kites ) using a 80L blaster and a 4.5 or a 5.2  . that is a 9m to 7m kite . If you surf its the best time to go . that December  the waves on the north shore were 25' plus on the out side and logo to mast high on the inside . the reef would uncover right in front of you and a 15 foot wave would back on dry ground . it was life threatening  . I never ventured out past the first set of breakers . though many guys did . I watched them go out , they were on very little gear . In front of a 20 /30' wave there is no wind . they would do the hula as they took the elevator ride up and over . I didn't see a guy not make it , I would probably still be having night mares if I did .
                    Another time I went it was either gale force wind 50 plus or nothing at all . though i did get some video of Jaws going off witch is one of the most incredible  things I have ever seen in my life .
                    the point of the story is just to let you know what you could be in for if you go .

                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDXtPC3Z0Gc
                    not my video

                    To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
                    From: idakiteman@...
                    Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 10:12:32 -0600

                  • daflyinhawaiian64@yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 28, 2012
                      Stephano, fyi I will be there over the xmas holidaze. 20-1st. As Steve pointed out not as consistent as rest of year but plenty to do (read keep wife and child happy) when wind not there.
                      Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                      From: steve linane <itile@...>
                      Sender: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
                      Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 13:15:41 -0600
                      To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com<snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com>
                      ReplyTo: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com

                      To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
                      From: idakiteman@...
                      Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 10:12:32 -0600

                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 28, 2012
                        Thanks guys, lots of good info. Wow Steve for the video, I would love to surf, I've never tried in my live, but who knows... sonner or later...
                        Greg, what's best kite beach there, and best flight itinerary to go kite in Hawaii?
                        Maybe best choice for Christmas is go skiing at Bogus...

                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 29, 2012
                          Stefano...first time you try surfing and discover how darn hard & exhausting it is just to paddle out even in somewhat small surf...and how fatigued your shoulders get from all the paddling, and neck fatigue from holding your head up to see outward instead of always smelling the board wax...you'll realize why folks kiteSURF.  Use the kite to do all that hard work of getting out to the lineup, and to instantly pickup speed to catch the wave...then depower the kite and enjoy the really fun part of surfing...

                        • Jack Harrison
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 29, 2012

                            Yes, copy Jon on difficulty and arm strength….

                            To learn to surf you may consider getting a paddle board… and starting with “15 to 30-inch” waves to have some real fun!!!

                            Steve – great video. Are they now surfing waves that they were “tow-in” surfing a few years back?

                            Jack

                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 29, 2012
                              Well I like Naish beach for launching/landing as it has a "better" wind. Parking not as convenient as kite beach. Best itinerary is the one you are able to get. I like flying Alaska Airlines they have a flight that leaves boi in the morning stops in san jose and gets to Maui around 1 pm. At this point in the game its what ever gets you there!
                              Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                              From: "stefanoortelli" <sortelli@...>
                              Sender: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
                              Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 02:34:43 -0000