Re: [snowkiteidaho] Re: [BSA] A morning wind classic

  • Chris Lee
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 9, 2012
      We sailed at the Wall from 10 to 4.
      The best was when we first got there. No one but Chris Nichols, Mark Smith and myself. Wind was pretty steady.
      I was on 4.0, Mark on 4.7, Chris was going to try 4.5 but decided with 5.0.
      First 30-45 min was fun and was able to jump both ways.
      Then the wind seems to be more from the north and got really up and down.
      There were a few kiters going through doing downwinders and riding the swells.
      Unfortunately the wind never picked up at the Wall as forecasted.
      I rigged up to 4.5 but the others didn't re-rig.
      We have a pretty mellow session.
      Driving back to White Salmon, it was blasting at Celilo and Avery. 4.0 might work but probably 3.5.
      Sounds like Arlington would have been the call today but didn't want to drive that extra distance.

      Best regards,
      Chris Lee

      On Sep 9, 2012, at 4:20 PM, steve linane <itile@...> wrote:

      looks like you guys in the gorge are getting blown off the water . so how was it ?
      Weather Conditions for:
      Roosevelt, WA (BPROO)
      Elev: 1766 ft; Latitude: 45.76464; Longitude: -120.24000

      Current time:Sun, 09 Sep 4:16 pm (PDT)
      Most Recent Observation:Sun, 09 Sep 4:00 pm (PDT)
      TimeTemp.DewRelativeWindWindStationQuality
      PointHumidityDirectionSpeedPressureControl
      (PDT)(f)(f)(%)(mph)
      09 Sep 4:00 pm724132W33G40948.86OK
      09 Sep 3:55 pm724132W32G40948.86OK
      09 Sep 3:50 pm724032W31G40948.86OK
      09 Sep 3:45 pm724032W34G41948.90OK
      09 Sep 3:40 pm724032W32G41949.00OK
      09 Sep 3:35 pm724031W33G39949.03OK
      09 Sep 3:30 pm723930W32G39949.03OK
      09 Sep 3:25 pm723829WNW33G41949.07OK
      09 Sep 3:20 pm733829W32G41949.10OK
      09 Sep 3:15 pm733728W31G39949.17OK
      09 Sep 3:10 pm733727WNW33G44

      To: chris133@...
      CC: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com; boisesailors@...
      From: jasonbrickner@...
      Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 09:15:03 -0700
      Subject: [snowkiteidaho] Re: [BSA] A morning wind classic

      I'm driving back from Portland today and I have my gear. I may stop at Rufus or Three Mile if it's not blowing 30+. I need to pickup a 7m one of these days.

      Regards,
      -Jason Brickner
      Olympus Controls
      (208)-475-4670

      On Sep 9, 2012, at 6:40 AM, "Chris Lee" <chris133@...> wrote:

      Boy, I missed the evening session but we did have a pretty good steak dinner with nice sunset!

      Where will you be sailing today?  We’ll probably going to the Wall as it’s blowing 24G29 at John Day already.  It’s blowing 25G34 at Roosevelt.

      Best regards,

      Chris Lee.

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 9, 2012

        Hmm… you must have driven by the Wall/Rufus after we left…

        I was wishing for more wind with my 4.5 and eventually quit around 4:00 p.m.

        It may have picked up after we left…

        Best regards,

        Chris Lee.

        Forget the 7m. I would have needed a 5m. Too much. Even three mile and boardman are nuking. Had to pass. HR looked good but spent too much time in PDX this morning. How does LP look this week?  Is Barclay done?

        Regards,

        -Jason Brickner

        Olympus Controls

        (208)-475-4670

[...]

        (%)

        (mph)

        09 Sep 4:00 pm

        72

        41

        32

        33G40

        948.86

        OK

        09 Sep 3:55 pm

        72

        41

        32

        32G40

        948.86

        OK

        09 Sep 3:50 pm

        72

        40

        32

        31G40

        948.86

        OK

        09 Sep 3:45 pm

        72

        40

        32

        34G41

        948.90

        OK

        09 Sep 3:40 pm

        72

        40

        32

        32G41

        949.00

        OK

        09 Sep 3:35 pm

        72

        40

        31

        33G39

        949.03

        OK

        09 Sep 3:30 pm

        72

        39

        30

        32G39

        949.03

        OK

        09 Sep 3:25 pm

        72

        38

        29

        WNW

        33G41

        949.07

        OK

        09 Sep 3:20 pm

        73

        38

        29

        32G41

        949.10

        OK

        09 Sep 3:15 pm

        73

        37

        28

        31G39

        949.17

        OK

        09 Sep 3:10 pm

        73

        37

        27

        WNW

        33G44

        To: chris133@...
        CC: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com; boisesailors@...

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 10, 2012

          You guys are ‘manly men’.  You were wishing for more wind?!!?!?!  I would have been blown off the water.

          Here is the windmeter at John Day Damn…. Right near Rufus and the Wall.  I drive by around 6:00PM.  There were a couple small kites and a couple windsurfers at the wall.

          To: chris133@...
          CC: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com; boisesailors@...

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 10, 2012
            No, I'm not that good!  :-)

            Looks like it picked up after we left and peaked when you drove pass. I would have probably got blown out of the water if we stayed.

            We are trying another Wall session with the drive home today.

            Best regards,
            Chris Lee

            On Sep 10, 2012, at 8:13 AM, Jason Brickner <jasonbrickner@...> wrote:

            You guys are ‘manly men’.  You were wishing for more wind?!!?!?!  I would have been blown off the water.

            Here is the windmeter at John Day Damn…. Right near Rufus and the Wall.  I drive by around 6:00PM.  There were a couple small kites and a couple windsurfers at the wall.

            <image001.png>

            To: chris133@...
            CC: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com; boisesailors@...