Re: [BSA] A morning wind classic

  • RUSTY HILL
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 8, 2012
      Ha ha! I love it Betsy. It's not my alarm clock's fault but my uncanny talent for turning it off while still deep in sleep. That's my problem. I got on the water just before 9 (which is when the wind usually shuts off) and was the last one off the water at 11:20. I was trying to take it easy on my still healing finger so I went out on my 9. Even then, I was 50% de-powered most of the time. Fantastic morning of smooth strong wind. It was still blowing strong enough to kite as I left at noon. I pity the man, or woman, who missed out this morning. I will send comforting thoughts your way this evening as you bemoan the fact that you missed the best day of the year and will undoubtedly be crying yourself to sleep tonight.
      RUSTY HILL
      rustyshill@...

      On Sep 8, 2012, at 1:30 PM, Betsy Russell <bzrussell@...> wrote:

      I just have to gush. What a fabulous, fun morning! Definitely the best 5.0 day of the season for me. Too bad I overslept (!), but I still got in two solid hours of bliss from just after 8 to just after 10. When I checked the meter before I headed out, it said it was 24 to 25 - !!! Not just super-solid, strong wind, but also really fun water, with all kinds of ramps and little swells to play in. I saw you catch air, Tom! What a blast!
           On my way home today, I bought a new alarm clock.
      Betsy

      On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 11:34 AM, Tom von Alten <tva@...> wrote:

      Probably would have been even more fun if I’d rigged my 5.1,

      but the 6.0 worked. I found a few higher gears I didn’t know

      it had. This is what morning wind is supposed to be!

      <image001.png>

      _____________

      Tom von Alten

      tva@...

    • Chris Lee
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 8, 2012

        Glad you guys are getting some!

        I had a morning wind session at Stevenson also… but was chasing the wind a bit… started on 5.0 but never fully powered up and then changed to 5.6 when the wind eventually shut off.

        5.6 would have been the call and it confirm the reason to only bring one sail to morning wind!  J

        Best regards,

        Chris Lee.

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 8, 2012
          Man I missed a great day at lp. but I did get a killer evening session in at the event site in hood river. Everyone was rigging big so I put on the 6.2 n the 112 litre board.  Wind came up n 4.5-5.0 was the call. But we all stayed out n had an over powered session. Sailed till dark.   Got to watch two guys from Germany from the tour.  Unbelievable tricks. Tomorrow is supposed to be big here. Hope all of u have great winds in boise.

          Tom von Alten <tva@...> wrote:

          > Water down to rocks & booties needed...

          A.k.a 10 ft. down. Nice to have that gasoline powered sign on the
          dam flashing "LAKE DROPPING" to enhance our safety. Back in
          the day, we used to have just look to see the bathtub ring.

          - Tom

        • Chris Lee
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 9, 2012

            Boy, I missed the evening session but we did have a pretty good steak dinner with nice sunset!

            Where will you be sailing today?  We’ll probably going to the Wall as it’s blowing 24G29 at John Day already.  It’s blowing 25G34 at Roosevelt.

            Best regards,

            Chris Lee.

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 9, 2012
              I'm driving back from Portland today and I have my gear. I may stop at Rufus or Three Mile if it's not blowing 30+. I need to pickup a 7m one of these days.

              Regards,
              -Jason Brickner
              Olympus Controls
              (208)-475-4670

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 9, 2012
                looks like you guys in the gorge are getting blown off the water . so how was it ?
                Weather Conditions for:
                Roosevelt, WA (BPROO)
                Elev: 1766 ft; Latitude: 45.76464; Longitude: -120.24000

                Current time:Sun, 09 Sep 4:16 pm (PDT)
                Most Recent Observation:Sun, 09 Sep 4:00 pm (PDT)
                TimeTemp.DewRelativeWindWindStationQuality
                PointHumidityDirectionSpeedPressureControl
                (PDT)(f)(f)(%)(mph)
                09 Sep 4:00 pm724132W33G40948.86OK
                09 Sep 3:55 pm724132W32G40948.86OK
                09 Sep 3:50 pm724032W31G40948.86OK
                09 Sep 3:45 pm724032W34G41948.90OK
                09 Sep 3:40 pm724032W32G41949.00OK
                09 Sep 3:35 pm724031W33G39949.03OK
                09 Sep 3:30 pm723930W32G39949.03OK
                09 Sep 3:25 pm723829WNW33G41949.07OK
                09 Sep 3:20 pm733829W32G41949.10OK
                09 Sep 3:15 pm733728W31G39949.17OK
                09 Sep 3:10 pm733727WNW33G44

                To: chris133@...
                CC: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com; boisesailors@...

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 9, 2012
                  Forget the 7m. I would have needed a 5m. Too much. Even three mile and boardman are nuking. Had to pass. HR looked good but spent too much time in PDX this morning. How does LP look this week?  Is Barclay done?

                  Regards,
                  -Jason Brickner
                  Olympus Controls
                  (208)-475-4670

                  To: chris133@...
                  CC: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com; boisesailors@...

                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 9, 2012
                    We have a better chanced of afternoon wind then morning wind for the foreseeable future . by the time morning wind returns only the most sure footed and the supremely lazy will chance the rock walk .

                    To: itile@...
                    CC: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com; chris133@...; boisesailors@...
                    From: jasonbrickner@...
                    Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 17:24:26 -0700
                    Subject: Re: [snowkiteidaho] Re: [BSA] A morning wind classic

                    To: chris133@...
                    CC: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com; boisesailors@...

                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 9, 2012
                      We sailed at the Wall from 10 to 4.
                      The best was when we first got there. No one but Chris Nichols, Mark Smith and myself. Wind was pretty steady.
                      I was on 4.0, Mark on 4.7, Chris was going to try 4.5 but decided with 5.0.
                      First 30-45 min was fun and was able to jump both ways.
                      Then the wind seems to be more from the north and got really up and down.
                      There were a few kiters going through doing downwinders and riding the swells.
                      Unfortunately the wind never picked up at the Wall as forecasted.
                      I rigged up to 4.5 but the others didn't re-rig.
                      We have a pretty mellow session.
                      Driving back to White Salmon, it was blasting at Celilo and Avery. 4.0 might work but probably 3.5.
                      Sounds like Arlington would have been the call today but didn't want to drive that extra distance.

                      Best regards,
                      Chris Lee

                      To: chris133@...
                      CC: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com; boisesailors@...

                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 9, 2012

                        Hmm… you must have driven by the Wall/Rufus after we left…

                        I was wishing for more wind with my 4.5 and eventually quit around 4:00 p.m.

                        It may have picked up after we left…

                        Best regards,

                        Chris Lee.

[...]

                        (%)

                        (mph)

                        09 Sep 4:00 pm

                        72

                        41

                        32

                        33G40

                        948.86

                        OK

                        09 Sep 3:55 pm

                        72

                        41

                        32

                        32G40

                        948.86

                        OK

                        09 Sep 3:50 pm

                        72

                        40

                        32

                        31G40

                        948.86

                        OK

                        09 Sep 3:45 pm

                        72

                        40

                        32

                        34G41

                        948.90

                        OK

                        09 Sep 3:40 pm

                        72

                        40

                        32

                        32G41

                        949.00

                        OK

                        09 Sep 3:35 pm

                        72

                        40

                        31

                        33G39

                        949.03

                        OK

                        09 Sep 3:30 pm

                        72

                        39

                        30

                        32G39

                        949.03

                        OK

                        09 Sep 3:25 pm

                        72

                        38

                        29

                        WNW

                        33G41

                        949.07

                        OK

                        09 Sep 3:20 pm

                        73

                        38

                        29

                        32G41

                        949.10

                        OK

                        09 Sep 3:15 pm

                        73

                        37

                        28

                        31G39

                        949.17

                        OK

                        09 Sep 3:10 pm

                        73

                        37

                        27

                        WNW

                        33G44

                        To: chris133@...
                        CC: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com; boisesailors@...

                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 10, 2012

                          You guys are ‘manly men’.  You were wishing for more wind?!!?!?!  I would have been blown off the water.

                          Here is the windmeter at John Day Damn…. Right near Rufus and the Wall.  I drive by around 6:00PM.  There were a couple small kites and a couple windsurfers at the wall.

                          To: chris133@...
                          CC: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com; boisesailors@...

                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 10, 2012
                            No, I'm not that good!  :-)

                            Looks like it picked up after we left and peaked when you drove pass. I would have probably got blown out of the water if we stayed.

                            We are trying another Wall session with the drive home today.

                            Best regards,
                            Chris Lee

                            To: chris133@...
                            CC: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com; boisesailors@...