RE: [BSA] Re: [snowkiteidaho] Re: another Zephyre morning

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 18 6:44 PM
      Here is some LP weather lore that has been passed down from Hobie cat sailor to windsurfer to kiter . First a little history Way back before there was windsurfing , there was Hobie cats going to morning wind . Hobie cats gave way to windsurfing because you can rig a windsurfing faster you don't need to trailer it , you can go faster and something new you can jump out of the water and do tricks . this happened some time around 1980 all though there were windsurfers sailing LP in the late 70s . Windsurfing was going strong for 20 years . then in 1999 or 2000 Chris Waiman show up with a kite . He launch from Turner and landed at Barclay . I know because I caught his kite for him that morning . Now as you all know most mornings there are more kites then Poleboards .
       So how did the watermen of old know when it was windy at LP . here are the basics . temp change 30 degreed between high and low SE at the airport by midnight and high presser 30 or better . This is for prim time summer forecasting .
      Here is my disclaimer as a prognosticator . I have seen all of these forecast rules brocken and it still blows and I have seen  all of them in place and got skunked .
      To fine tune , the spring and fall you wont get as much temp swing , at that time 20 degrees will work . If it stays to warm at night do to cloud cover it may not blow . Too much SE is bad for morning wind . this morning is a good example at 10;53 it went to SE 12G20 from 12 right about the time it backed off . and the presser dropped from30.01 and its been going down all day . If you look at the presser history you can see a high presser system moved through pretty fast at 8:00 pm last night it was 29.94 and at 7:53 am it pecked at 30.01 about the time it turned on again . Today is a good example for another reason .I see this happen all the time . They post a forecast and then they change it in 12 hours . What i've seen is that the first forecast is right . Today they were forecasting SE to switch at 3:00 am and switch back at 12:00 noon . then they changed it to switching back at 9:00 am . Today it switch at noon , if I would of gone with what I know instead  of what I read I would of headed up at 7:30 and had some fun , will I  learn ?  Thunder storm activity is always bad for wind . Clouds can shout it off as can rain , but not always .
      I will call this a Wikipedia entry  ,If anyone wants to add or change feel free , I'm sure I forgot something omitted someone or just plan got it wrong .
      Steve-O
      and I like to see 15G20 as a starter

      From: sbakerdvm@...
      To: chris133@...; snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com; boisesailors@...
      Subject: RE: [BSA] Re: [snowkiteidaho] Re: another Zephyre morning
      Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 16:54:12 +0000

      What's the cutoff for committing to driving up there, in the opinions of esteemed BSA members, kite division?  15 gusting to 20? 18 gusting to 25?
      Jon, Steve-O, Eddy, and other great minds are welcome to chime in.

      Shameless plug:  Armed and Hammered tonight at the Ha'penny!  830 pm! Celtic Americana for the masses!

      Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 10:36:47 -0600
      From: chris133@...
      To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com; boisesailors@...

      Boy, looks like I quit too early and the wind picked back up after I left!

      Still got a little over an hour in from 7:15 to about 8:30.

      Best regards,
      Chris Lee

      On Aug 18, 2012 7:04 AM, Mike Cottingham <macingham13@...> wrote:

      I think I may drink my LP sorrows away at the Tour De Fat beer fest.  Oh, but wait, the wind is picking up!

      Mike