Thursday Morning

  • Josh Woodland
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 8, 2012

      Any predictions for Thursday morning? It looks like forecasted direction is right, but magnitude looks weak. Should it work?

      Josh

      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 8, 2012
        Might???

        Eddy

        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 4, 2014

          What are our chances for a morning session tomorrow?

          Thanks,
          Josh

          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 4, 2014
            I'm making plans for it.

            Eddy

            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 4, 2014
              the chances are good but be on the water early . looks like it mite shut off early

              Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 5:59 PM
              Subject: [snowkiteidaho] Thursday Morning

              What are our chances for a morning session tomorrow?

              Thanks,
              Josh

            • tony williams
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 5, 2014
                This morning
                So I had the water to my self.
                Kited from 6:55 to 8:05 Then Eddy showed up in time to catch my kite so I could get to work.
                the wind was light but I was able to go up wind the whole time but it did not get really jump worthy till 7:45.       I was on the 13m and bigger of my twin tip boards.
                readings seemed about right or a little bit low from what I was feeling .
                 11 mph   19 mph
                13 mph   17 mph
                8.9 mph  17.9 mph
                17 mph  17 mph
                14.1 mph  16.1 mph
                15 mph   19 mph
                15 mph   17 mph
                17 mph   17.9 mph
                14.1 mph  17.9 mph
                12.1 mph  17 mph
                16.1 mph  19 mph
                19 mph   19.9 mph
                19 mph   19.9 mph
                16.1 mph  21.1 mph
                17.9 mph  19.9 mph
                11 mph   19.9 mph
                Eddy went out on the Zepher and surfboard and going strong when I left.

                  Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 5:59 PM

                  What are our chances for a morning session tomorrow?
                  Thanks,
                  Josh

                • tonyswilliams
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 5, 2014
                    Will often build after sun clears
                    the hills.
                    I was looking at the treasure valley sailors site for the readings from the dam.

                    Sent via the Samsung GALAXY S® 5, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

                    Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 5:59 PM

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 5, 2014

                      Looks like we can post directly to Windfinder also … if anyone uses that?  Any need?

                      Eddy… Barometric pressure is incorrect for KIDBOISE49 because the station altitude was set for 5200ft.  Any way you can change that in WeatherUnderground?

                      -JBrick

                      Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 5:59 PM

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 5, 2014
                        Not sure why or how alt. setting was chosen on the weather station. I've been removed from WX station for past year. Liscense is still in my name but that is it. Been nice not to deal with its quirks.

                        Like tony said earlier I caught the after lull 8:00 session which is very common up there.  It felt like 15-20 and that is what the meter said for my hour on the water.  Sometimes it's nice to have your own Private Idaho although I do enjoy the company of other shredders.  Ironman has it pretty well shut down up there hopefully cleared up for Sunday session.

                        I made the KBOI2 news after my kite session.  Unfortunately my car was not to happy with its inflicted wounds on everybody panel except rear bumper.  I was 2 lanes over from the big rig that hit the Meridian Rd bridge at 9:15.  Unreal explosion of concrete debris and bowling ball chucks flying all in front of my path. Good thing my car was small and nimble as I avoided the big stuff. The truck to my immediate right was not so lucky, easy $50k in damages.

                        Feeling lucky, time for lotto ticket!!!
                        Eddy

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 5, 2014
                          Sorry about your car. Glad you were not hurt.

                          Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 5:59 PM

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 5, 2014

                            Like they say,  “Driving is WAY more dangerous than kiting at Luck Peak.”  J

                            Glad you are good!!!

                            -JBrick

                            Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 5:59 PM

                              Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 5:59 PM

                              What are our chances for a morning session tomorrow?

                              Thanks,
                              Josh

                            • Will Hise
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 6, 2014
                                Jon! Drop my name. See if I'm still famous.

                                The bees at that spot suck and a few kites have ended their lives in the palm trees. Behind the island is great when the wind is up. Butter smooth with sick thermals off the island.

                                Glad your kid is doing so well.

                                Eddy, glad you're not dead.

                                I'm almost home. Can't wait to get back on the water.

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jun 7, 2014
                                    Will....I did!...you are!!  First guy I approached to ask about spot rituals, named Ken.  He knew of you...or at least your famous blonde hair!..."yeah, long blonde hair, right?"

                                    Have to tell you though, there was older guy on 2nd day, piece of work.  Steve Linane-like long all gray hair, stout build, I'd bet early 50's or maybe weathered 40's.  Didn't get name, I think silver tiny SUV maybe older RAV4, sound familiar?  My guess, I tell you what happened, you or others will know guy from that behavior.  He saw my son riding upwind first day, & me teaching, says nothing.  2nd day winds tad lighter but sadly much holier & son tries a couple short attempts to get going, drifting down beach not too far each time....just not enough wind.  One time kite goes down in water, I'm walking down beach with him & it drifts in to me, no biggie, but son signals me he wants me to carry board back up & he'll fly& walk back short distance to land kite & wait for better stuff.  Good judgment, not characteristic of total beginner, right?  Most other riders on water come in too 'cause just went to junk.  Now first day, "Ken" (first guy I met) told me that some at the park may say no beginners there but many others think not a problem, so go ahead.  Besides, son not total beginner & spot looks very similar but better than Kite Beach Maui which is full of beginners hosted by instructors (many more & nastier iron wood trees too).  After walking back the short distance, son's getting ready to land, up hustles this somewhat aged stocky gray lady-haired guy in loud steamin' huff who saw him tryin' to get going.  Total intimidation attempt.  Says no beginners at spot 'cause: winds on shore (but they're side on like many learning spots), "can" be crowded w/ bathers (there were none at time it being weekday early PM), crowded w/ other kiters (there were 3 maybe 4 at most), and that this spot was for "advanced riders" (sheesh, really???...none were advanced, all looked substantially novice just trying to stay upwind & happy w/ that).  Well, son obviously not total beginner as guy saw the day before, and I note he totally declined to confront one older foiler wannabe who was trying to get hang of starting & riding foil, but always ended up hugging shore line all the way down quarter mile even went beyond far downwind buoys into swim area, dumped his kite, did far worse than my son.  So I push right back, offering the comments above, & he just gets louder starts waving hands saying I'm not listening.  Son finally gets fed up w/ guy & further escalates, guy didn't like lady-hair comment & comes stomping like wants to fight my USMC 6' plus chiseled son.  So I ask him if he's certified instructor (no he's not) I tell him I know he's worried about inexperienced people doing things that risk spot access, but we'll take responsibility for ourselves that this won't happen, son not total beginner as he saw day before, and that his whole approach inciting ugly confrontations right in front of two wide-eyed lawn picknickers just invites complaints to park authorities about combative personalities & threatening behavior, & does more to risk access than my son, and if he really worried about access risk, he better get concerned about his own behavior & approach.  My son enthusiastically tells him to go get friggin' haircut & off he stomps shouting & waving arms.  No other kiters came forward to support his viewpoint, and I realize, Ken was warning us of jerks like this.  Dude mounted a total intimidation attempt, mostly about selfish self-interest territorial jerk...IMO.  Musta been ex-surfer....So we waited for it to build & kept going...guy steered a wide berth around us after that.

                                    Any guess about who the guy was?

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jun 7, 2014
                                      Lol. There's always one. Yah I have a few ideas of who it might be.

                                      It always makes me laugh when people get uppity at that spot. That's the beginners spot (albeit the advanced launch site) and as long as you're careful, you won't do anything worse than the locals have done repeatedly in the past. Good on your son for not throwing punches and just getting back on the water.

                                      I don't know ken very well but we do know each other. Glad you got some water time!

                                      On Saturday, June 7, 2014, Jon Bolt <idakiteman@...> wrote:
[...]

                                    • Gregory Danley