Re: [snowkiteidaho] Cascade

  • William Binegar
    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 2, 2012
      The launch I use is a 200 yard walk down my beach to a point where Eddy found a killer log that lets me self launch with ease and I use it to land my kite.  I've been out rarely on a 13, but now have a 17 on order and that is the ticket up here.  The wind is up and down within 15 minute periods, but the 17 lets me stay out thru the lulls.  Typically 2pmish.  Right near mile marker 126 turn onto Kantola lane to the lake.  The point is to the south, but will need to make a small hike on the beach to get there.  My cabin is 185 Lee Way and phone # is 724-5029.  If any of you are up this way just give me a call or stop in.  Not too good at having phone with me:) up here.

      On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 4:07 PM, Josh Woodland <woodland.josh@...> wrote:

      Where did you launch and land?

      Josh

      On Aug 1, 2012 3:40 PM, "William Binegar" <billyg2477@...> wrote:

      40 minute session on the 17 at Cascade. Lots of fun.

    • Bill Binegar
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 11, 2013
      I got two solid hours in today at Cascade. Started on my 12 and then had to move up to the 17 m. Good day in all.
      Message 3 of 25 , Jul 11, 2013
        Billy G....you must be celebrity up there, huh?

        On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 7:43 PM, Bill Binegar <billyg2477@...> wrote:

        [Attachment(s) from Bill Binegar included below]

        I got two solid hours in today at Cascade. Started on my 12 and then had to move up to the 17 m. Good day in all.

        Sent from my iPhone

      • Bill Binegar

          Message 5 of 25 , Jul 20, 2013
            Where's the launcing place in cascade? Is it big and safe enough to launch-land a 19m flysurfer speed3?

            Message 6 of 25 , Jul 20, 2013
              Stefano, Bill Binegar knows best...he's up there every weekend, probably this weekend too.  If someone has his phone number they should email it to you so you can call him.  He'd be looking for a kiting buddy up there.  His email: billyg2477@...

              I've launched at one of the campgrounds on the northwest end of the reservoir.  I think it was Poison Creek or Amanita, or one of those (there are about 4 in a row along that stretch...just drive by & look for a grassy area big enough to launch).  Have to go to Donnelly, turn left toward West Mountain, then south when you come to the T in the road.  That road goes by Tamarack and parallels the reservoir.  Bill has a launch somewhere on south end I think.

              Two things to watch out for.  #1 thunderclouds forming over west mountain...they can send some NASTY winds down the slopes onto the lakes.  Be careful during hottest part of summer.  Watch the water for wind big squalls coming your way.  #2: the wind can quit SUDDENLY up there.  Don't go out farther than you care to swim w/ a limp & heavy foil!!.  I'm speaking from experience.

              On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 4:55 PM, stefanoortelli <sortelli@...> wrote:

              Where's the launcing place in cascade? Is it big and safe enough to launch-land a 19m flysurfer speed3?

              --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, Bill Binegar <billyg2477@...> wrote:

              > I got two solid hours in today at Cascade. Started on my 12 and then had to move up to the 17 m. Good day in all.
              >

              > Sent from my iPhone

            • Brian
              Message 7 of 25 , Jul 20, 2013
                Best wind and best launch IMHO is 2 miles south of the cascade golf course. The lake narrows down a bit creating a bit of a venturi effect but the reality is that the wind is very up and down unless there is a southern frontal wind or a northern flow after a front has passed.
                ~1.8 miles south of the golf course is a campground and new picnic pavilion at a broad sandy point/beach. There is good parking and easy access. Good luck. let me know how you do. I have always thught that a big flysurfer kite would be just the ticket for Cascade.

                --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, "stefanoortelli" <sortelli@...> wrote:

                > Where's the launcing place in cascade? Is it big and safe enough to launch-land a 19m flysurfer speed3?
                >
                > --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, Bill Binegar <billyg2477@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I got two solid hours in today at Cascade. Started on my 12 and then had to move up to the 17 m. Good day in all.
                > >

                > > Sent from my iPhone

              • Brian
                Message 8 of 25 , Jul 20, 2013
                  By the Way, this is the location where the Southern Idaho Sailing association holds its twice a year regatta. You will often see a hobie cat or two on this beach as well.

                  --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <bkerrmd@...> wrote:

                  > Best wind and best launch IMHO is 2 miles south of the cascade golf course. The lake narrows down a bit creating a bit of a venturi effect but the reality is that the wind is very up and down unless there is a southern frontal wind or a northern flow after a front has passed.
                  > ~1.8 miles south of the golf course is a campground and new picnic pavilion at a broad sandy point/beach. There is good parking and easy access. Good luck. let me know how you do. I have always thught that a big flysurfer kite would be just the ticket for Cascade.
                  >
                  > --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, "stefanoortelli" <sortelli@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Where's the launcing place in cascade? Is it big and safe enough to launch-land a 19m flysurfer speed3?
                  > >
                  > > --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, Bill Binegar <billyg2477@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I got two solid hours in today at Cascade. Started on my 12 and then had to move up to the 17 m. Good day in all.
                  > > >

                  > > > Sent from my iPhone

                • Bill Binegar
                  Message 9 of 25 , Jul 20, 2013
                    Brian is absolutely right. Feel free to call Or text me though if in Cascade area. My phone number is 724-5029.  I am 10 miles north of the town of Cascade. I have a nice beach to launch from. On the weekends like today there were five boats and I don't know how many people on it. It rarely blows though. However if you only need 12 the 14 miles an hour that is fairly common. Signing off Billy G

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    On Jul 20, 2013, at 5:54 PM, "Brian" <bkerrmd@...> wrote:

                    By the Way, this is the location where the Southern Idaho Sailing association holds its twice a year regatta. You will often see a hobie cat or two on this beach as well.

                    --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <bkerrmd@...> wrote:

                    > Best wind and best launch IMHO is 2 miles south of the cascade golf course. The lake narrows down a bit creating a bit of a venturi effect but the reality is that the wind is very up and down unless there is a southern frontal wind or a northern flow after a front has passed.
                    > ~1.8 miles south of the golf course is a campground and new picnic pavilion at a broad sandy point/beach. There is good parking and easy access. Good luck. let me know how you do. I have always thught that a big flysurfer kite would be just the ticket for Cascade.
                    >
                    > --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, "stefanoortelli" <sortelli@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Where's the launcing place in cascade? Is it big and safe enough to launch-land a 19m flysurfer speed3?
                    > >
                    > > --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, Bill Binegar <billyg2477@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I got two solid hours in today at Cascade. Started on my 12 and then had to move up to the 17 m. Good day in all.
                    > > >

                    > > > Sent from my iPhone

                  • stefanoortelli
                    Message 10 of 25 , Jul 20, 2013
                      Thanks, 12-14 mph is exactly right for my flysurfer. It also need big clean beach. Now that I know it might work, I'll definitively plan a visit to Cascade, and give you a call. Thanks for all the feedbacks