naming kiting spots

  • Whitney Rearick
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 23, 2007

      Here's my 2 cents re: naming sites:

      I totally agree that there's a need for naming places - clearly it makes answering the question 'where the hell did you find wind yesterday?' much easier.  Names stick, of course, and because of that I'd think we'd want to be a little bit thoughtful about giving them out - it could be a really cool legacy to leave future snowkiters - names that are fairly easy to remember and have some kind of logic to them.  Eddy started butchering the word Historical so that it's now the Hysterical Site - and it stuck.  It's funny and easy to remember.

      I'm sure many of the places where we snowkite already have place names (Bob's Knob, Geezer Ridge, etc.).  It would be worth looking into those names first, primarily for safety reasons - if someone gets hurt, it's going to be a lot easier to explain to the local dude or paramedic holding a map trying to find you that "he crashed hard just east of  Packer Butte"  rather than "he crashed hard at Sick Air Flat."  They're easier to remember, too.  If you find regular good wind near a reservoir, why not name the site for the reservoir?  The way to find these is by taking a look at small-scale USGS maps.  I'd be happy to help with that (or topozone.com is a good start).

      I come from the world of whitewater, where rapid names usually reflect the geography (Onion Creek Rapid on the Colorado or Tappan Falls on MFS).  Occasionally they're named after what it looks like (Haystack Rapid on the MFS), history (Separation Rapid or Rancid Tuna Rapid on the Grand Canyon) or something helpful (Go Left on the Payette or Killer Fang Falls on the Lochsa).  Clearly river people are a bunch of goofballs.

      Whitney

      with theYahoo! Search weather shortcut.
    • Ryan Wait
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 23, 2007

        all see your 2 cents and raise you 3

        i have looked at the quad maps, i have the software. I like to think that there was alot of "logic" used in the naming of these places.(BTW tappan falls was named after the family that settled near there). if someone gets hurt out there then they need to know the Lat/Long. that is the best way for help to find an injured person. packer butte would help a life flight pilot, but we dont kite on packer butte. we named the area near cat creek summit " last resort" because if there is no wind elsewhere, then this is the place to look, but(clearly the name hysterical site is more logical).  northeast of last resort is the area we call double barrel, because of the 2 parrallel drainages that run east/west. there is nothing named on the quad map in this area. feather flats is on the road to featherville and it's flat. the big easy is just south of the featherville RD./hwy20. intersection.  we call it the big easy because it is big and easy or we could call it (section 28 elevation 5454). The snowmobile parking lot, well what else can i say. triple over head(a surfer term for a big wave) is the cliff band south of the snowmo park it looks like a big wave, or we could call it(section 30). an area called windy's lips came from the name windy gap on the quad map. i agree with your logic on naming places. most of our names reflect something about the geography.

        next time do your homework before telling us we didnt do ours!

        thanks Ryan

        From: Whitney Rearick <whitnuld@...>
        To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [snowkiteidaho] naming kiting spots
        Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 13:49:35 -0800 (PST)

[...]

        Dave vs. Carl: The Insignificant Championship Series. �Who will win?
      • Dr. Binegar
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 24, 2007

          Hi All,

          I am very new to your group.  I am reading a book about Crazy Horse and they discuss a lot about the significance of names.  Mine right now is probably ‘Face Planting Walker’.  A common theme I am seeing is ‘injury’.  Is there a need for snowkiters to consider packing a GPS and cell or walkie-talkie as is recommended for snowmobilers?  Again, I am new to the sport and personally have not gotten out of sight of the fence.

          Bill

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 24, 2007
            I think a cell phone is a great idea and the "Buddy system" is the most important and mandatory idea.

            I think as long as we all stay within someone's view or let anyone responsible know specifically where you are going is the only way to be marginally safe.

            Regardless of what we call the sites, I think fun names are great, but it will only be "US (SNOWKITERS)" that know these locations. Try and remember what mile maker (Boring I know!) you are at if some thing happens and you have to make a call for rescue.  Your kite will be the biggest aid in finding you so leave it out.  But remember to unhook from it and say good bye to it if it is a heli rescue. That goes for everyone do not think you can ride out the airflow coming off a heli.

            My 4 cents,
            Eddy

            BTW, I'm going up today.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 24, 2007
              Ryan -

              Awesome!  Glad to hear you've already done the research.  Glad also to hear that existing names were taken into account.  That will help, I imagine, for those of us who, like Bill mentions, don't use GPS.  What wast the rest of the process?  Was there a committee?  Or did you and Monty name all the sites?

              Just curious -

              Whitney

               ps  I suppose now isn't the best time to ask for a little capitalization?  Makes it easier for us old timers to read.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 24, 2007

                good point about rotor wash, that would be really scary. i thought about that a while ago, when considering being filmed from a heli.

                From: Whitney Rearick <whitnuld@yahoo. com>
                To: snowkiteidaho@ yahoogroups. com
                Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 13:49:35 -0800 (PST)

[...]

                Get in the mood for Valentine's Day. View photos, recipes and more on your Live.com page.