LP ecoli?

  • Mike Cottingham
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4, 2012
      Last night on the news they said there is ecoli in LP.  Any truth to this?  I remember a story like this last year.

      -Mike C.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4, 2012
        Supposedly at Robie Creek. Someone or something has rotten poop!

        Nothing to worry about at our end with deep cool water.

        Eddy

      • chris133@cableone.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 4, 2012
          http://www.idahostatesman.com/2012/07/03/2178190/high-levels-of-e-coli-found-at.html

          Yes, only at the beaches at Robie Creek. Barclay and Sandy Points are fine.

          Best regards,
          Chris Lee

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 4, 2012
            Our very own Jack Harrison has PhD in Hydrology & is our State's top water consultant on water quality.  How 'bout it Jack?  Canya give us the poop about this ecoli rumor?

            (But don't spook us with the huge list of other scary stuff in the water we drink every wind morning....)

            On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 10:23 AM, Mike Cottingham <macingham13@...> wrote:

            Last night on the news they said there is ecoli in LP.  Any truth to this?  I remember a story like this last year.

            -Mike C.

          • Jack Harrison
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 5, 2012

              Jon – were you in marketing? Maybe you could send the email to some of your other “groups”… Then I could spent time testing water at Kailua beach, instead of looking downstream of Boise…. where we have major water quality problems that we all contribute to when we flush, fertilize or walk our dogs.

              Regarding Robie Creek, the Statesman article is accurate (see below). Key word is “indicate”, as test used assess the level of risk.

              My guess is water fowl, which is also a big problem in our City Parks. But, maybe wild or domestic animals (is their grazing upstream along the creek?). Bad septic systems are also a leading cause (nationally) of health problems. These are all sources downstream of Boise and we ( in our Green City) will be needing to do more to help lower levels in the River, creeks and drains.

              Back to LP, I’m hoping to be testing the water on Friday, but Saturday looks more likely. Sometimes it is true that dilution is the solution… not no risk, but low risk.

              So, how Lucky are you feeling? Jack

              Excess levels of E. coli indicate the presence of human or animal waste and that pathogenic microorganisms may be present and pose a threat to public health, Corps officials say. If ingested, these microorganisms can cause diarrhea, fever and vomiting, particularly in infants, small children and the elderly

              Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2012/07/03/2178190/high-levels-of-e-coli-found-at.html#storylink=cpy

              Jack Harrison, PhD, PE, PH-GW

              HyQual, P.A.

              208.861.1654