Re: [BSA] Sailing association officer nomination

  • Jack Harrison
    Message 1 of 4 , May 13, 2012
      Tom   What I think is best for group is to have enough structure to respond to issues that may come up, and to help ensure this informal group of wind junkies get their fix.  For example, if we have a problem at a launch site, well need to be ready to help the individual and then interact with agencies to address any concerns.  If we're not in the mix, they may make decisions we dont   care for.

      If are feeling up to it and interested in staying on as Pres, then a more orderly transition would be to have Rusty "elected" to VP, which we also need. And as Eddy mentioned, he may be spending his spare time on the Eddy meter.  Then he could move to Pres next year better knowing the time commitments.

      Just an idea... Jack

      On May 13, 2012, at 10:01 AM, Thomas Cavaiani <tcavaiani@...> wrote:

      I was vice-president last year.  As some of you know I had extensive neck surgery in February two years ago.  My recovery from the surgery has been slower than expected.  Consequently I have not been able to participate in either kite boarding or windsurfing to the extent I would like.  In the past two years I windsurfed only 2 or 3 times and have kited at Lucky Peak maybe a dozen times or so.  Since my ability to participate in these sports is limited my ability to properly represent your interests would also be affected.  Because of these circumstances I would be willing to step aside as your president and let Rusty take over, if that would be best for the group.

      Tom

      On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 7:30 AM, Jon Bolt <idakiteman@...> wrote:
      ...and the officership & succession plan is:  There are two officers, with two year terms.  Pres. & VP.  Goal is to have one of two be a windsurfer, the other a kiter.  Every year only the VP is elected.  VP becomes President at beginning of 2nd year of their term when President retires (w/ full pension, fund for library, staff, security, etc.)

      Duty-cycle of jobs pretty low, and VP even less than Pres...unless a bigger issue arises (e.g., potential closure of Lake Lowell).   In that case one of two officers takes the lead to manage/address the issue, or you hunt up a motivated member to delegate the matter to.  Of course, an officer might come up w/ some new, previously unrecognized agenda to go after...making more work for themselves.  But best to inform & get buy-in of rest of membership before starting action...so that everyone is aware and stays aligned.

      As for communication w/ the Army Corps (ACE), they are used to Eddy being our sole spokesperson & liaison.  They get confused if he's not the one in their face.  So best to keep him in that role, simple executive decree will do it.  Members fear and blindly obey the two despots.

      The VP role also an ambassadorship position, with travel to exotic places funded as necessary to collaborate w/ similar groups in worldwide community, and promote our visibility & interests.  Not unlike Mr. Biden's role...but please don't adopt his communication habits...

      Congrats Rusty & thanks in advance...

      On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 10:02 PM, Betsy Russell <bzrussell@...> wrote:
      Talk to Chris Lee, He is the outgoing prez. It is to organize the annual cleanup day and be the liaison with the Corps on that and any issues that arise thru the year. We've been trying to alternate between a windsurfer and a kitesailor. Also to work with members who have taken the lead on specific projects, like Jon B. on Lake Lowell and Eddy & others on the wind meter. Did I miss anything? The Corps really likes to have a designated contact person from our group.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On May 12, 2012, at 10:44 PM, Rusty Hill <rustyshill@...> wrote:

      I'm happy to help out wherever possible... But what does an officers duties entail?

      Rusty Hill
      Photography Elevated

      On May 12, 2012, at 9:29 PM, Gear Daddy LLC <geardaddyllc@...> wrote:

      Did anyone ask Rusty if he would?  Gonna have his hands full with Sensor. Of course I'll "I" him if he wants to.

      Eddy

      On May 12, 2012, at 4:35 PM, Betsy Russell <bzrussell@...> wrote:

      On May 12, 2012, at 5:03 PM, steve linane <itile@...> wrote:

      I Steve Linane officially nominate Rusty as our incoming officer .
      All who second the motion say I .
      May 12 2012