9575Re: [snowkiteidaho] Mexico

    Jan 16, 2012
    Here's a few pix...haven't taken many 'cause too busy setting up camp.

    Today may be a no-wind day so breaking out the dirt bikes for some exploring.  I swear...the most reliable long leadtime predictor of no wind here...Kite Expo/La Ventana Classic week!!   Seems like most every year I've been here wind becomes marginal that week.  Great before, Great after, but weenie wind that week.  We'll see about this year...event doesn't really get going for a couple days yet.  People now arriving, many coming from the big Lord of Wind event in Los Barriles which was last week.  No wind today OK for me...Pretty sore from 3 days of powered kiting.

    On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 8:23 AM, Jason Brickner <jasonbrickner@...> wrote:

    Yes John,

    Would love to hear about the Rally...

    Let us know if you do any shrimp fishing on your downwinder again this year.

    -JBrick

    -----Original Message-----
    From: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com [mailto:snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com]
    On Behalf Of steve linane
    Sent: Sunday, January 15, 2012 9:36 PM
    To: snow
    Subject: RE: [snowkiteidaho] Mexico

    are you saying 20m lines are the long one ? as in you are flying something
    shorter ? 25m to 27m are going to make that a completely different kit ,
    give you a lot more power , I fly 27m , 25m , 27m are the stander , 20m for
    surf or learning . but you know all this , get some extinctions at B, Joes
    . Did you bring your camera ?
    Lets see some action .
    also demo a slingshot rally for me , preferable a 12m

    To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
    From: idakiteman@...
    Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 19:25:42 -0700

    Big kites down by B. Joe's, but solid beef 12m up north here. Did downwinder
    from hot springs and great time up north but halfway down it weenied.
    Drove back up north and back out on 11.5 for sweet another sweet sesh. I've
    used 11.5 Kahoona all 3 days of kiting so far. Figuring it out &
    experimenting w/ line lengths & pigtail settings. My take so far...it's a
    little slow & lumbering for my taste but that'll be a benefit for 5.5 & 7.5.
    When I go to 20m lines it's a lot better...but I can see it'll take some
    adaptation. l have my Eclipses too and will do head-to-head trials
    tomorrow.

    Thanks for headsup about J. I'll email him.

    All this next week is big Kite Expo so will demo & report. Still on the
    Stonker. Tried a couple other boards first two days but still like the
    Stonk...

    Senor Jon

    On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 2:49 PM, steve linane <itile@...> wrote:

    Jon
    thanks for the report . J Jordan is down there he said he would look you up
    his # is 869-2307 . Looks like big kit today and tomorrow but picks up
    Tuesday Wednesday .
    what kites did you bring , did you get your knew Kahoons ? are you still
    using the old old stonker ? maybe time to up grade . lets us know if you
    demo anything Steve-O

    To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
    From: idakiteman@...
    Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 12:33:04 -0700

    Jack...I'm in La Ventana which is about 40 minutes east of La Paz on Sea of
    Cortez. It's a small dirt roaded sleepy village of Mexican fisherman except
    November-April when the wind junkies and snowbirds arrive. Some camp, some
    have homes. Fantastically beautiful setting , conditions for kiting, great
    eats where local Mexicans do home cooking...

    We drove from San Diego but you can fly into either Cabo (and take 2 hr
    drive), or La Paz. Rent cars either place.

    Yesterday another 10-12m day with smooth winds, warm. Last night was annual
    Burning Bush festival...like Burning Man but way smaller...but a few
    exhibits came from BurningMan. Way cool. Theme this ear was "World Ends in
    2012"...evidently Mayan Calendar ends in 2012 more precisely predicting the
    end at 12/12/12. This website will have pix when the photographer gets
    around to posting them: www.ventana411.com . I'll get names of other
    websites that have pix and send the urls.

    Today 12:30PM looks like a bluebird sky thermal day probably 12m maybe 14.
    Warm no clouds. Time for the downwinder...later...

    Jan 15, 2012 at 5:31 AM, Jack Harrison <hyqual@...> wrote:

    Jon – you have a minute, gives us some more details…I’d like to know where
    you’re at and how you got there.

    Enjoy!

    Jack