6694Re: [snowkiteidaho] a comment on Snake River water quality

    Aug 30, 2010
      ....swimmers nose clamp is best preventer of sinus balloonitis...

      On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Jack Harrison <hyqual@...> wrote:

      Steve is correct regarding water quality in "Bruneau Arm". There is not much
      flow in the Bruneau River in the summer and most is Ag runoff from farming
      and cattle grazing. The poor WQ, low flows and hot temperatures produce very
      poor water quality...

      Without going into the details, it might be better to try this in the spring
      with much more flows and cooler weather, or latter in the fall with more
      mixing of the reservoir and cooler weather.

      The main channel of the Reservoir comes in from the north, with ag return
      flows, discharge from fish farming and wastewater. The Snake River upstream
      has sizable groundwater "spring flows" from the Thousand Springs area and
      above. This helps the water quality a bit in the fall, after ag
      irrigation/runoff decreases, the weather cools, and the reservoir mixes
      more.

      In the spring, flows in the Snake and Bruneau Rivers are generally high
      enough that water quality is much better.

      Keep in mind that the Snake River is considered Idaho's "working river".
      Much of the flow in the summer is return flows and wastewater discharge from
      fish farming and wastewater. There are efforts underway to improve water
      quality...but Idaho's time frame is rather slow...50 to 70 years. Maybe our
      kids will see it. And then again with Climate Change, maybe not.

      The Columbia is generally better water quality for a lot of reasons...(less
      ag return flows, no fish farms, less wastewater but a bigger nuke waste
      facility). Still my head plugs up after getting thrashed on a Big wind
      day.... part of the price you pay for fun!

      Jack Harrison, PhD, PE, PH-GW
      HyQual
      208-861-1654
      From: JAMES NANCY TIGHE