12580Re: [snowkiteidaho] Newbie getting into the sport

    Dec 24, 2013
      Casey

      Welcome to group.  We are all anxious for snowkiting as well.  Need more snow thou!!!

      As far as kites go 6 vs 9. Your weight and the current wind will be key.   My guess is most of the time, like the rest of us, you'll be on the bigger kite.  A 9m kite is small for most unless your under 150lbs.  Most common size is a 12.

      Best option for forecasting wind is windalert.com  it will give you 7 days of info that you can sort of rely on for about 36 hrs....good luck! Just a quick note typically before each frontal passage we get SE wind and after it moves thru we get NW flow. SE winds are smoother and fresh NW can be violent but usually calm down. Columbia Village is the best practice option for wind unless you want to drive to Mountain Home. Unfortunately January is the worst month for wind. Mid Feb and March are great. Hope for snow.

      If your plugged into the group as soon as the conditions at the Camas or other locations get going then the chatter will start to ramp up. See you out there soon!

      Eddy

      On Dec 23, 2013, at 11:56 PM, <st01ck@...> wrote:

      Hello All,

      I am a newbie looking for some info from some local experienced members.

      My background is that I am experienced in sailing and snow skiing.
      I got some gear late in the water season, but was not able to get any real use this last year.
      I want to hit the snow to get some fun kite experience and be ready for the water in the Spring/Summer.
      I have read a lot and flown a 6 meter c kite (5 line) a couple times in less than ideal conditions.  I also have a 9 meter bow kite, and know that a bow kite is better than a c kite for a beginner, but not sure if the larger size makes it a less ideal candidate in comparison to the 6.
      I have also had a difficult time figuring out how to tell when and where is a good place to get some good practice flying.  From what I gather, the Columbia Village soccer fields are good and there is some way to tell if the next day will be good by watching the conditions at the Boise airport?

      I am really excited about the snow getting better this year, and being ready for spring/summer on the water.
      I would appreciate any opinions on the 6 vs 9 kite dilemma (what is better, a small c kite or larger bow kite?), and how can I tell when the wind is right for some good practice sessions?

      Thanks,

      Casey

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic