11952Re: [snowkiteidaho] Turner Fire

    Jul 3, 2013
      of course reasonable minds may differ...two facts of the morning not subject to opinion:  1) the number of kiters leaving the water after first lull, then returning.  Rarely happens.  2) and more significantly the number of exciting, near calamitous landings: Binnegar twice (with brand new kite...first time wind quirks cause it to luff & start death spiral just as he's taking board off, so frantic backing up into water to take slack out then it powers when falling & tomahawks into harder ground just missing picnic shelter..WHEW...second it falls onto far side of dock.  Jake twice...two luffs preceeded by"oh-sh*t" warnings, two recoveries, Jake running like deer to take up slack & get better angle.  Steve L. self-lands then a sputter lifts his kite, flips on back and up, over picnic shelter sliding over corner before safety line halts it.   Nice saves by all, miraculously no damage.  Other "oh-sh*ts" & scampering as the fluky stuff had its way with us.  Great help by those on beach.  Far from typical morning...

      On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 9:42 PM, Jim shultz <jim.shultz00@...> wrote:

      I would have to agree with Rusty, was it great?   No, but it wasn't that bad, made it work on an 11m boosting just fine!  Any morning there is better than the office!

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jul 2, 2013, at 19:14, RUSTY HILL <rustyshill@...> wrote:

      I don't think I agree 100% with the previous gloomy reports. I don't know if it was differences in kites, nights rest or other reasons, but I think today's wind wasn't too bad. Yes, it was patchy at times, as I've come to expect, but I've seen MUCH worse at LP. A lot of the morning, in my opinion, was pretty smooth and I think the numbers were pretty close assuming its not measuring the slowest the wind blows at any given timeframe but the average. Maybe I'm just tickled to be kiting back at LP and have a rosy view, but the smell of smoke and newly crispy scenery didn't take away one bit from my fun this morning. (Last years smoke was 10x worse) I love seeing so many kiters, and would have loved to see more windsurfers, out there on a weekday. Hopefully more to come soon!

      Rusty Hill

      On Jul 2, 2013, at 6:56 PM, Will Hise <will.hise@...> wrote:

      don't forget that it doesn't report lulls.

      On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 6:38 PM, Jason Brickner <jasonbrickner@...> wrote:

      Wow… the graph looked perfect and strong.  Must have been a direction thing.  There is no calibration of the anemometer so it should be indicating what is happening up on the roof of the trailer.  Solid low twenties from 6 – 8 with gusts to high 20s.