Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

11816Re: [snowkiteidaho] URGENT CONSIDERATION: South Padre in Sept/October anyone???

Expand Messages
    Jun 12, 2013
    • 0 Attachment
      Just booked flights for Annie and I. Same flights as Jon. Looking forward to kiting in Texas! We're both Texas kiting virgins...

      Rusty Hill

      On Jun 12, 2013, at 9:01 AM, tony williams <tonyswilliams@...> wrote:


      Great schedule Jon.  Good work.

      From: Jon Bolt <idakiteman@...>
      To: Snowkiteidaho <snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 9:38 AM
      Subject: Re: [snowkiteidaho] URGENT CONSIDERATION: South Padre in Sept/October anyone???
      Monday Oct 14 is a Federal holiday, so might help participation if we could include that date in the SPI trip window.  However, starting the preceding Saturday (10/12) and returning following Sunday 10/20 is problematic.  Cheapest return fair on Sunday 10/20 is $295 and travel on Sundays is usually more expensive.  Returning Saturday 10/19 would leave only 6 days at SPI, since it takes a day to get there, and a day to return.  So, how about this:
      Depart Saturday 10/5, return Monday 10/14.  There are $140 fares on both days.  Favorable flight schedules too.  There is 7:15am departure on 10/5 that arrives SAT 1:30PM, which might allow getting to Corpus in time for quick sesh & dinner.  Also, for the return there is 6:40pm departure from SAT which allows the whole day to get there (it's 5 hr drive w/o stops) & avoid have to drive the night before & stay in hotel near airport.
      I booked myself on this 10/5-10/14 itinerary, BUT nice thing about Southwest...no change fees...they give full credit, so if some other schedule would get better participation, I'm game.  So far Steve Linane & Tony William have heard this plan & sounds like they are game for it.  So, Rusty/Annie, & Jake, can you make it work?
      JBRICK...it's not too late!!...you've earned a play trip!!!
      On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 10:06 PM, Jason Brickner <jasonbrickner@...> wrote:
      Way to go Jake,
      That’s the spirit.  I’m going to have to say no.  There is a tournament one of the weekends John mentioned, plus I need to help get the home business geared up for the winter sales season.
      From: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com [mailto:snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Jake Dobson
      Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 9:21 PM
      To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.comSubject: Re: [snowkiteidaho] URGENT CONSIDERATION: South Padre in Sept/October anyone???
      Didn't want to wait for the low ticket prices to disappear, so I booked a flight leaving 10/2 @ 3:20pm and coming back 10/9 @ 6:40 from San Antonio.  Let me know if anyone want to share a rental car/ hotel.  

      Sent from my iPad

      On Jun 11, 2013, at 8:40 AM, Jon Bolt <idakiteman@...> wrote:
      Morning wind junkies!  It's your friendly travel & entertainment coordinator spreading temptations...
      Southwest just started a 72 hr fare sale ending June 13 midnight, for travel between Aug 26 & Dec 18.. Anyone wanna go to SPI in late Sept or October?
      For some reason San Antonio (SAT) doesn't show up in their list of destination cities out of Boise, but I checked and they do have service in September & October.   Fares $140 each way are plentiful at the moment. 
      I looked for air routes closer to SPI.  Directly to Corpus from Boise, that service ends July 5. Boise to Harlingen...they do have that route but only on one or two days each week, cheapest fare is $302 each way, & plane change/more hassle & time.  So round trip to SAT saves $320 vs. Harlingen, which would easily fund share of a rental car & probably most of a condo or house.  In years past, on the drive down to SPI we stopped in Corpus to kite Packary Channel.
      [I also looked at Outerbanks.  Can get there outbound leg for $164, but they only have one day each week for a return connection, and cheapest return is $269.  Southwest will not have this service from Boise after September 22, and early September still in prime hurricane season so more risk of tropical lows that shut off wind...or too much wind.  Also, it takes a lot more travel & drive time to get to OBX vs. SPI...you spend a fully day getting there & returning.  Sois preferable.]
      The gameplan would be fly in/out of SAT, share rental car & nice condo or house.  more the participation, the greater the fun, & cheaper the cost too.
      TIMING: I'm thinking around Oct 1 +/- a couple weeks, so sometime between Sept 15 and Oct. 15, and probably stay for a week or maybe a little more so can negotiate a week rate & get an extra day or two added for free.  The earlier before Oct. 1, there are 3 issues: a) more late summer heat & humidity, b) more risk of hurricane/tropical low shutting off wind, c) the Gorge may still be going.  As you get closer to November it starts cooling off, wind starts becoming more uncertain and shorties unlikely.  So I guess I'm proposing departing sometime between Oct 1 and Oct. 15 the latest.
      Who's interested in/around that window? 

    • Show all 29 messages in this topic