11508Re: [snowkiteidaho] Re: [BSA] New Weather station

  • Greg
    May 4, 2013
      I have AT&T ( yeah I know ha ha) and only get a couple of bars if in the right spot. Don't think it a weinner. Put me down for a share, like big Jim says it cheap fun. Although I have driven up there many times without checking the eddy meter knowing before you go adds a lot of value to the all too short season. Thank you all for your hard work!

      Sent from my iPhone

      On May 4, 2013, at 2:06 PM, RUSTY HILL <rustyshill@...> wrote:

      So Virgin Mobile could be a good solution. $35 a month, no contract so we could start and stop service when needed. Before we purchase all the new equipment it may be prudent to see if the internet would work up there and have a good connection. The mobile hotspot (which receives the wireless data from the cell towers) is $99.  I can buy it here locally and take it up there to see if it works and how well. If it doesn't I can return it without any problems. BUT, you have to pay for a month of service that is non refundable. A better option would be if any of you currently have a Sprint smartphone  and can go up to the dam, download the Speedtest.net app and check the internet speed and connection. We could eliminate spending $35 on a month of data that way, if it doesn't end up working. I'd like to hear from everyone and make sure we have enough support financially to commit to this group investment.

      New wireless sensors $115
      Weather station server $155
      Mobile HotSpot $99
      Monthly connection $35 for approx 6 moths ($210)

      Total $579-(last year's surplus $110) =  469

      469/ 20 sailors = 23.45

      Does that sound reasonable? Maybe have everyone contribute $25 bucks? If everything goes as planned the next years we'll only need the $210 (or ~$10 per sailor) for data service and new sensors every few years.

      What are everyone's thoughts?

      RUSTY HILL
      rustyshill@...

      On May 4, 2013, at 1:27 PM, steve linane <itile@...> wrote:

      I have Sprint the least reliable service there is and I get good connective in the parking lot always have .
      come to think of it my cell work clear down by the dock where we pump up

      To: rustyshill@...
      CC: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com; BoiseSailors@...
      From: idakiteman@...
      Date: Sat, 4 May 2013 13:14:47 -0600
      Subject: [snowkiteidaho] Re: [BSA] New Weather station

      I'm sure everyone's willing to help w/ funding, as in the past...especially now that the BLM LP Nursery meter is gone.  Seems at this point, first thing to figure out is what are the options for dependable data/internet telecom (beyond the problematic voice landline we have now).  So, what Rusty could use most right now is feedback from people that have different types of cellphone internet service (major carriers, Cricket, even Net10...any type):  what service do you use and what's your experience w/ internet connection dependability up there?

      Chris Lee, Rusty, Eddy...if any of you have the phone# of present landline connection, get that to me & I'll call CenturyLink to explore feasibility of upgrading to DSL.  I think in past there may have been some physical limitations, but I'll check again.

      Those of you that've used different cell-internet services up there, let's hear from you!!  What's your service & has it been solidly dependable up there?

      On Sat, May 4, 2013 at 11:01 AM, RUSTY HILL <rustyshill@...> wrote:
      So after dissecting the weather station's anemometer today looking for a model number I discovered that replacement parts are not sold for our trusty but currently broken weather station. (one of the anemometer scoops have been broken off due to weathering and possibly a bird landing on it… who knows) I've spent several hours searching for the best solution. Here are my findings:

      Most ideal (but most costly) situation would be to invest in a completely wireless kit that includes new wireless sensors (wind direction, wind speed, temp, barometric pressure and humidity) as well as a server that uploads all the information IN REAL TIME WITHOUT A PC (the main cause of the frustrations and problems with our current weather station)  It would also allow us to install a weather cam, at a later time, that uploads snapshots at a given interval. I don't know about you, but actually seeing your fellow wind-junkies on the water when you're debating wether or not to get out of bed would be huge in maximizing every epic wind day at LP. Or on the other hand, it could help avoid a lonely solo session or worse, getting skunked. Now for the downside… you need a post 1990 internet connection. i.e. dialup won't hack it. So we'd have to subscribe to a wireless internet plan like verizon or AT&T as well as purchase a wifi hotspot to make it work. If any of you have a wireless hotspot from one of those carriers and would like to donate it or at least let us borrow it to see if the connection is strong enough to make this plan possible, that would be a great help. Last year I tried a Clear modem up there without any success. Another possible solution would be to solicit local businesses like waterski proshop or Cabela's to sponsor the internet connection and lovingly name the station after them. (if anyone has connections or strings they can pull, please speak up)  With internet connections aside the weather station and server would come to - $269. With our surplus from last year and interest earned in my high yield checking account at %0.0003 we have about $110 left from last years donations. Which would put us short about $170 with shipping. If we have the same amount of contributions as last year it would almost cover the upgrade. If we wanted to go ahead with this option we'd need everyone to dig a little deeper and help fund a more reliable wind tracker.  Again if we could solve the internet problem this would be the best for everyone who relies on this station, but especially those of us like Chris Lee who has been an absolute saint in dedicating hours and hours to maintaining the station.

      The other option is business as usual… buy new sensors, replacing the broken and aged equipment and try to keep everything running during the summer. Cost for new sensors would be around $115. Which is just about what we have left over from last year.

      I realize I put a little more work into "selling" the first idea, but in reality I think it would be a much better long term solution. The main hurdle is the internet connection as DSL nor cable is not available. I mostly wanted to get some feedback and see if anyone can help find out who's data service works up there. I don't imagine the quantity of data will be very substantial but having a good connection would be important if we're trying to improve reliability. Also, if anyone has suggestions for potential solutions to paying for or procuring an inexpensive internet connection….
      Let the dialog commence…

      RUSTY HILL
      rustyshill@...

      Recent Activity: