11246Re: [snowkiteidaho] Re: Baja log...

    Feb 12, 2013
      Eddy....the standard Mexican wage for a day of semi-skilled labor, like construction or driving is $45...the universal Mexican wage rate, the least required by law.  So the $50 you left the guy with for 8 hours is only a little better than the least he shoulda been paid.  Basically, you paid him the least possible and evidently chose not to give him a big tip given the apparent extra value he delivered in your case.  Sounds no different than gringos sharing rides...trying to legitimately & fairly lower their costs.

      On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 5:00 AM, Gear Daddy LLC <geardaddyllc@...> wrote:

      Wait, I appreciate Joel's input.  I never gave it 2 cents thought but he's 100% right. We go to Mexico to take advantage of the "Cheap" but never think twice of what our actions may result in.  First time I was there I rode shuttle, first thought was that yeah it was expensive. But after all the guy did for us (I won't go into detail) it ended up worth every penny and I never thought about the guys profit margin.  He probably put $50 in his pocket for 8 hrs of work.

      Thanks for the words of advice Joel...

      Eddy

      On Feb 12, 2013, at 1:04 AM, RUSTY HILL wrote:

      Wow, never met you, Joel, but it may have been better to send your angry email directly to whom you're angry with. The rest of us like to "keep it clean" and avoid fighting on these email groups. Thanks

      Rusty Hill

      On Feb 12, 2013, at 12:46 AM, "ruddercraft" <sailboats@...> wrote:

      Idakiteman,
      I'm not sure you understand, but the Mexican law prohibits gringos from buying goods and services from other gringos who don't have an FM3 visa and a business in Mexico.
      There was no threat of the "little bite" from the Federales, because you were legitimately breaking the law. They had the power to detain and/or arrest you for breaking the law in Mexico because you were charging the other guys riding with you for the fuel, convenience, or whatever.
      You don't have the right, as a foreign national, to run a business in Mexico, which, the way they see it, is what you are doing.

      I'm sure you expect foreign nationals visiting the US to abide by our laws, you should try to do the same while in Mexico. The shuttle operators who "charge a lot more $" are running businesses and feeding their families, they are not your ride share competition. If they complain to the local authorities about it being unfair and illegal that you are charging riders, they're right, they are not being predatory, as you suggest.
      Mexico is a cheap place to enjoy their natural resources of fun, sun, wind, surf and reef like Cabo Pulmo, and for you to complain about them trying to enforce their laws set up to protect their little businesses is ridiculous. That kind of attitude makes it hard on the rest of us gringos who follow the Mexican rules while in Mexico, because we know we're in their country.
      If you don't want to use their shuttle service, don't. If you think their prices are too high, then negotiate using your "good spanish" but don't slam them for trying to make a living in a hard-scrabble place like Baja, when all those people do is extend kindness to Americans 99.9% of the time.
      I've spent a lot of time sailing in Mexico, I've been all the places you have, and from what I've seen, the Mexicans are a lot more honorable that we are, most of the time.
      Keep in mind how you'd like foreigners to act in your hometown and you'll do better.
      See you out there,
      -Joel
      P.S. you will virtually never be hit for mordida by Federales. That is a local cop thing.

      --- In snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com, Jon Bolt wrote:

      > So much to report, can't do it all, and takes too much time away from other
      > "divertido", so I've just blown it off. but to ease some guilt, here's a
      > couple snippets...
      >
      > Only a few no wind days so far since arrival Jan 15. Even the days where
      > Baja Joe's shows no wind, most times it's kitable just fine up here at
      > north beach. Smallest kite I've used so far is 11.5m, including yesterday,
      > but money kite here has been 9.5m in sweet conditions. When the strongest
      > El Norte's come through, it's cool highs maybe 70 or little more, but if El
      > Norte's are mild, the local thermal winds add to them, so still good strong
      > wind and could be in shorties, some w/ no wetsuits. 5-6 days ago there was
      > strong El Norte, but with a westerly component where wind tumbles over
      > mountains before hitting beach making it gusty & holey & side-off, so we
      > went way around the bay to a spot where that westerly hits side-on but its
      > at very end of bay w/ huge swell & waves breaking directly on shore.
      > Coarse sand blowing & stinging all exposed skin. Went out on 7.5m & had
      > to almost totally depower (yikes! coulda easily done 5.5m but it back at
      > our place) and still boosting huge but scary in those rough waters since
      > you're taking off where a preceeding wave leaves a slick behind and have to
      > land w/o getting cremed by following wave. Swell & breaking waves surely
      > mast high, they swallow you in between. Way rough. The real deal...ran
      > out of adrenalin after about an hour. Not much tricks other than jumping
      > lunar, rest spent getting upwind & playing on & between waves. Only a
      > handful of most experienced kiters at that spot because water entry through
      > that huge surf is challenging, and conditions rough. But most days here
      > are sweet fun 9.5m. The wind forecast for today was zilch, but right now
      > it's already whitecapping at least 12m...no...just looked out & it's 9m so
      > game on today.
      >
      > My buddy had to go back to states for 5 days, so Monday upon his return I
      > drove down to Cabo airport to pick him up in his pickup and took trailered
      > dirtbikes to do adventure on the way back. Tell you later about trip to
      > airport where I got stopped in both La Paz & @ Cabo airport by Policia
      > Federale, taking all our ID & vehicle documents, wanting to arrest me,
      > write ticket, and confiscate truck & trailer & bikes & tow to a yard
      > ("gruas"), all because I gave rides (in exchange for gas money) to other
      > local windjunkies who advertised in local email bulletin board looking for
      > a ride to airport. Claimed I was operating a service business w/o permit
      > (thus competing w/ local Mexicans that offer this service for a lot more
      > $$). Because the Mexicans charge so much, local gringos put notices of
      > rides wanted & available in daily email bulletin board, hoping to ride
      > share instead of paying the spendy shuttle cost. Interesting story for
      > later how they found out I was giving 3 folks a ride to the airport, and
> [...]

    • Show all 25 messages in this topic