1080RE: [snowkiteidaho] safety

    Jan 26, 2007
      Yeah he is you can call him. He went up with us on Wednesday

      Eddy

      From: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com [mailto:snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Ryan Wait
      Sent: Friday, January 26, 2007 10:31 AM
      To: snowkiteidaho@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [snowkiteidaho] safety

      is steve baker back in boise?

      From: "Dr. Binegar" <bbinegar@paincarebo ise.com>
      To: <snowkiteidaho@ yahoogroups. com>
      Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 15:59:49 -0700

      A GPS can be fun.  I like the idea of the tele-ski, but no sig experience with it.  I would like to thank Steve Linane for the idea of packing snowshoes with.  I used them yesterday when I didn’t get back close enough to the fence.  Otherwise Steve the Vet would have been very late for his dinner date.

      From: Whitney Rearick <whitnuld@yahoo. com>
      To: snowkiteidaho@ yahoogroups. com
      Subject: [snowkiteidaho] naming kiting spots
      Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 13:49:35 -0800 (PST)

      Here's my 2 cents re: naming sites:

      I totally agree that there's a need for naming places - clearly it makes answering the question 'where the hell did you find wind yesterday?' much easier.  Names stick, of course, and because of that I'd think we'd want to be a little bit thoughtful about giving them out - it could be a really cool legacy to leave future snowkiters - names that are fairly easy to remember and have some kind of logic to them.  Eddy started butchering the word Historical so that it's now the Hysterical Site - and it stuck.  It's funny and easy to remember.

      I'm sure many of the places where we snowkite already have place names (Bob's Knob, Geezer Ridge, etc.).  It would be worth looking into those names first, primarily for safety reasons - if someone gets hurt, it's going to be a lot easier to explain to the local dude or paramedic holding a map trying to find you that "he crashed hard just east of  Packer Butte"  rather than "he crashed hard at Sick Air Flat."  They're easier to remember, too.  If you find regular good wind near a reservoir, why not name the site for the reservoir?  The way to find these is by taking a look at small-scale USGS maps.  I'd be happy to help with that (or topozone.com is a good start).

      I come from the world of whitewater, where rapid names usually reflect the geography (Onion Creek Rapid on the Colorado or Tappan Falls on MFS).  Occasionally they're named after what it looks like (Haystack Rapid on the MFS), history (Separation Rapid or Rancid Tuna Rapid on the Grand Canyon) or something helpful (Go Left on the Payette or Killer Fang Falls on the Lochsa).  Clearly river people are a bunch of goofballs.

      Whitney

      with theYahoo! Search weather shortcut.

      Dave vs. Carl: The Insignificant Championship Series.  Who will win?