Utah Jail Inmates Knit for the Needy

  • kskrudland
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28, 2006
      I saw this posting on Comcast today.

      LOGAN, Utah - Jail inmates are spending hours knitting caps,
      blankets and booties for children around the world. "We might all be
      criminals," said David Evans, 25, of Blackfoot, Idaho, "but some of
      us have big hearts."

      The pastime at the Cache County Jail in northern Utah began about
      two years ago. The handmade crafts go to a group called Save the
      Children or to humanitarian efforts organized by The Church of Jesus
      Christ of Latter-day Saints.

      Inmates have knitted more than 300 hats this year, about half with
      matching booties. They also have stitched mittens and small blankets.

      "We are like an army," said Jane DeSpain, a Mormon Relief Society
      president who organized the project. "There are humanitarian
      projects going on all over the world. They are part of that."

      Jail officials said they were wary about putting knitting needles, a
      potential weapon, in the hands of inmates. But there have been no
      incidents. The needles are counted and collected before 30 to 40
      prisoners return to their minimum-security blocks.

      "Anytime you are doing something good for someone else, you are
      improving yourself," said Capt. Kim Cheshire, jail commander. "That
      isn't just for the inmates; that's for the rest of us."

      One man created a large hat that resembled the one worn by the cat
      in Dr. Seuss' "Cat In The Hat." It stretched more than 3 feet, with
      broad red and white stripes and a braided tassel. Folded beneath was
      a child's hat to match.

      Justin Paz, 19, of Logan, recently was making a blue baby blanket.
      As his tattooed hand worked the needles, he thought about the child,
      probably a boy, who would snuggle with it.

      Paz said he's hooked on a hobby that is "helping somebody."

      "Honestly, when I get out, I'm going to buy one of these," he said
      of the knitting tools.

      ___

      Information from: The Salt Lake Tribune, http://www.sltrib.com

      Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This
      material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.