DYE PARTY THIS SATURDAY, SEPT. 9

  • lnellett
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5, 2006

      Come try your hand at dyeing this Saturday, Sept. 9 at Linda's house in Jefferson Park!

      Time: 2 PM to ??

      Location: 4913 W. Winona (one block south of Foster at Elston)

      Phone 773-427-7798 with questions on directions.

      Directions:

      • On public transit, take the Blue Line towards O'Hare and exit at Jefferson Park. Pick up the #92 Foster bus and exit at Elston OR walk to 4913 W. Winona. (The walk is about 8 blocks if you take the shortcut through the Metra station and walk down Carmen. Call Linda for details.)
      • Via car from the south, take the Kennedy outbound. At the 90/94 split, stay right to take I-94 (Edens) towards Wisconsin. Exit at Foster Ave. and turn right. Go straight through the Cicero intersection, then turn left on Elston. Immediately turn right on Winona. 4913 is the first house on the left (south side of Winona). Feel free to park in Linda's driveway if  there's room or find plenty of street parking.

      No yarn to dye? No problem. Rachael has donated POUNDS of cotton yarn she received for free a few months ago. We dyed some of this cotton yesterday to see how it reacted with the dyes, and it took the color very well.

      Also available are dyes for cotton and wool available in the basic colors (cyan, magenta, yellow, and black), dye pots, foam brushes for painting yarn, gloves, etc.

      What should you bring? A snack (chips & dip, pretzels, popcorn, etc.) or soda to share, and your knitting (of course!) to work on during breaks.

      Optional stuff to bring:

      • If you'd prefer not to dye with cotton yarn, you can bring your own animal yarn (wool, alpaca, silk, etc.). Good sources for "bare" yarn are Knit Picks  and Fearless Fibers (through Etsy or eBay.) The large craft stores sometimes have 100% wool yarn in "natural" or white that can be dyed. We've seen Paton's wool yarn in the white color successfully dyed, and have heard that Lion Brand Fisherman's Wool can be dyed, as well.
      • Pre-mixed dyes in non-basic colors. Blick Art Stores  (located in Chicago and some suburbs)  carry the Procion dyes for cotton in a wide range of colors (look in the section with tie-dye materials). Knit Picks carries acid dyes  for animal fibers, or you can also try using food-based dyes (such as Kool-Aid, Wilton icing dyes, etc.) on animal fibers.

      FYI: If you are allergic or sensitive to pets, please keep in mind that I have 2 dogs and a cat. They're friendly, but they do shed and they can be quite rambunctious when new people visit.