Re: The venue issue...

  • lnellett
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 29, 2008
      Hmmmmm....is there a cost associated with this? I think we're
      looking for free space. We "pay" for it through buying stuff from
      their menu. Can you look into this, Jamie?

      Linda

      --- In snbwickerpark@yahoogroups.com, J Henderson
      <jhendersondesigns@...> wrote:

      > We could always see about reserving the backroom area of Cafe
      Deluca. I know in the evenings right now the kitchen closes, so no
      pizza, but they do have baked goods, coffee and booze, plus there's
      a small parking lot in back.
      > Jamie
      >
      > To: snbwickerpark@yahoogroups.com
      > From: lnellett@...
      > Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 21:02:50 +0000
      > Subject: [snbwickerpark] The venue issue...

      > I wouldn't go so far as to say we're cursed or
      anything, but we are

      > having a difficult time finding a venue we can consistently meet
      at

      > that fits our criteria.
      >

      > As far as I can tell, those criteria are:
      >

      > * in the Wicker Park neighborhood
      >
      > * close to an el stop
      >
      > * open until 9 PM on Tuesdays
      >
      > * adequate seating for up to 20
      >
      > * decent lighting
      >
      > * beverages and snacks available (for purchase, or to bring in)
      >

      > I spent a few minutes today exploring what the city of Chicago may
      >
      > have to offer, and the news is mixed.
      >

      > There is a new branch library at 1701 N. Milwaukee (about a block
      >
      > north of the Damen Blue Line stop) that has meetings rooms that
      >
      > anyone can reserve. There are 2 meeting rooms: one that fits about
      >
      > 10 people and is set up boardroom style, and another that fits up
      >
      > 80 people. We could bring in our own (non-alcoholic) food and
      drinks

      > and clean up after ourselves. The problem is that we have to
      reserve

      > the space at least 2 weeks in advance and it fills up fast.
      >

      > Another option I looked at is the local park district facilities.
      >
      > The Wicker Park facility, unfortunately, does not have meeting
      >
      > rooms. Nearby Pulaski Park does have meeting rooms, but I think it
      >
      > is several blocks from an el station, right?
      >

      > Mainly I was looking into this as a way of getting more creative
      >
      > about our options. Maybe there are other public facilities or even
      >
      > private ones that I haven't even thought about. Could something be
      >
      > arranged with a local non-profit, for example? I don't live in the
      >
      > area, so I don't know what may be available.
      >

      > Let's keep the ideas flowing at tonight's meeting and in this
      >
      > message board.
      >

      > As for folks at Alliance giving us looks...hey, if they want to
      sit

      > in a quiet space to work, they can do so at the above mentioned
      >
      > library branch (which also has free wireless)!

      > Climb to the top of the charts! Play the word scramble challenge
      with star power.
      > http://club.live.com/star_shuffle.aspx?
      icid=starshuffle_wlmailtextlink_jan